PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do with this landscape?

buffalonick
04-06-2010, 12:27 AM
So i have a customer that wants new mulch and wants me to clean up the area, but doesnt want there plants and shrubs messed up, i guess there are actually flowers in there. How do i get rid of all those weeds and keep them out along with not messing up the flowers and shrubs. What process or steps before mulch?

Florida Gardener
04-06-2010, 01:28 PM
i would edge out beds, pull any grass/weeds out of the newly made beds, put down a pre-emergent and add mulch. I would try and sell them on a new install as well...that stuff looks terrible.

BearWise Landscapers
04-06-2010, 02:40 PM
I would try and sell them on a new install as well...that stuff looks terrible.

I agree. Sell them on an upgrade!

Let us know how it turns out.

buffalonick
04-07-2010, 01:31 AM
I tried to upsell and push for an upgraded landscape design, even with the current plants just replanted and the guys said no no no, All he wants is the weeds taken care of and a new rubber edging put in with mulch. Not even a nice edge done. So i plan to pull and rake as many weeds and grass as i can. Put a new rubber edging on, put preen down and add about 3 inches of mulch.

Cloud9Landscapes
04-07-2010, 03:00 AM
I like the advice of others. I just must chime in and say how much I can relate to this situation, highly frustrating when a customer doesn't want good when you offer good. I always think to myself "I don't do sub-quality work for a sub-quality price".

Florida Gardener
04-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Well, good for you for asking....Now, just give them what they want and do the best job. You won't win them all, but you will be surprised at how many people will go with an upsell, at least I have found that to be the case.

VO Landscape Design
04-07-2010, 02:28 PM
With beds like that with flowers in them I like to use a Hula Hoe. It gets around existing flowers quite well and you can just skim the top of the soil or get down an inch or so for the tougher weeds. Going to buy one and cut the handle shorter for a hand tool.
VO

Runner
04-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Find a private applicator company, have them come in and spray these beds with gly for you, then clean them out, reset the edging, and remulch. By hiring the applicator guy, this will save you a whole lot of work and you won't be nearly as apt to have new stuff growing up, as it will kill the roots, too (if you scrape that stuff out, much will grow back due to roots still being in there).

betmr
04-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Find a private applicator company, have them come in and spray these beds with gly for you, then clean them out, reset the edging, and remulch. By hiring the applicator guy, this will save you a whole lot of work and you won't be nearly as apt to have new stuff growing up, as it will kill the roots, too (if you scrape that stuff out, much will grow back due to roots still being in there).

I second this approach, and add pruning, shape up the shrubs and get the dead wood out.

mike174
04-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I tried to upsell and push for an upgraded landscape design, even with the current plants just replanted and the guys said no no no, All he wants is the weeds taken care of and a new rubber edging put in with mulch. Not even a nice edge done. So i plan to pull and rake as many weeds and grass as i can. Put a new rubber edging on, put preen down and add about 3 inches of mulch.

Since you're putting Preen down, I assume you have a pesticide license. Hit the beds with RoundUp 1 - 2 weeks before the job to make it a little easier. I take pride in my work, but sometimes, you have to give them what they are willing to pay for. I have walked away from jobs saying "I would have done it different if I had my way", but the customer was saying "thank you, it looks great". What looks less than perfect to us, may look great compared to what the homeowner has been doing to their property. Again, they get what they pay for....

buffalonick
04-09-2010, 12:12 AM
What can and can't I put down without a pesticide license? I was always under the assumption I can put down homeowner low concentrate substances without one?
Posted via Mobile Device

mike174
04-09-2010, 12:15 AM

I agree w/ Runner...if you're not licensed, have someone that is licensed come in to treat the beds for you. Yes, you can buy gly (RoundUp) at HD, but it's not worth getting a fine. You need a license to apply it to any property other than your own (in NJ).

mike174
04-09-2010, 12:20 AM
What can and can't I put down without a pesticide license? I was always under the assumption I can put down homeowner low concentrate substances without one?
Posted via Mobile Device

In NJ, anything with "cide" requires a license. So any herbiCIDE requires a license, unless you're applying it to your own property....if you're a typical NJ homeowner 3x the label application rate is better, 4x really works :laugh:

nozzlehead
04-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I have been told, at least here in Ohio, I can apply any granulated products. I can't even buy pro grade liquids without proper papers. I believe though, I can use ANY product available at Home Depot or Lowes.

If anybody knows differently, please say so. If I'm wrong where can I find the right info.

betmr
04-10-2010, 10:25 PM
I have been told, at least here in Ohio, I can apply any granulated products. I can't even buy pro grade liquids without proper papers. I believe though, I can use ANY product available at Home Depot or Lowes.

If anybody knows differently, please say so. If I'm wrong where can I find the right info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ohio Department of Agriculture
Division of Plant Industry Pesticide & Fertilizer Regulation
8995 E Main St.
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068
614-728-6987

nozzlehead
04-10-2010, 11:19 PM
thanks betmr!

JMiller08
04-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Nozzlehead, I would like to know what you find out from them. Im working on getting licensed now. By the way where are you located at?

Jb3NH
04-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Hula hoe works great. So does the 'Action hoe' couldn't live without my handheld hoe. Chop it pull it, get rid of it and call it done. Then feel out your customer about a possible upgrade. I try 'n keep it budget friendly but charge for your time 'n labor!