PDA

View Full Version : New Tree, Root Water

ReD-DaWg-OnE
04-06-2010, 02:59 AM
Hey guys,

I just planted a new 5 Gal aporcot tree and installed two 36 inch root water spikes, the person and the sprinkler supply company said two 7.5 GPH drip emitter would be best. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't over watering it. I water it for 20min a day, and it is on the same zone as my vegetables. I live in Bakersfield, CA, it gets over 100 deg here in the summer.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought about this for watering?

Thanks!
George

ReD-DaWg-OnE
04-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Well i called the nursery i got the tree from and they didn't know anything about drip watering, however i did ask them about over watering and they told me the leafs turn yellow which is what happening. So i cut off the watering to let the soil dry out a bit, and i put one 1GPH emitter when i resume the watering. What do you guys think is best?

ReD-DaWg-OnE
04-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Any help guys?

rlitman
04-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Well, I don't have to deal your weather conditions (heat), or know anything about your drainage or soil type, but two 7.5GPH emitters run every day still seems way extreme to me too.

For a newly transplanted tree, you'll need a little more frequent watering, but apricots like deep and infrequent watering, and soggy roots will turn the leaves pale. Is it possible to water this on a different zone? Say maybe twice a week this year, and once a week next year.

ReD-DaWg-OnE
04-08-2010, 09:30 PM
It looks like i might have to run a new zone for the trees, i was hoping i didn't have to. The tree is on the same zone as my vegetables so it looks like that will have to change. My soil here is pretty sandy.

Thanks for your help!