PDA

View Full Version : Pintle hitch vs ball hitch

CTmower
04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I might be purchasing a new used trailer but the only problem is that it has a pintle hitch setup. My truck currently has the 2 5/16 ball hitch so if I wanna buy this trailer Ill have to purchase a pintle hitch setup. Question is what is the big difference between these two setups? I've seen a couple pintle hitches that actually have the ball on it too so you can use it for both types of trailers. Any help would be appreciated. THanks

M & MD Lawn
04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
I have the pintle hitch with the ball on my truck, because like you i have a trailer with the 2 5/16 ball and the pintle. I LOVE the dual purpose one, it stays in the hitch, however it cost about $100-110, if i remember correctly from tractor supply. I don't know the big difference i know one MAJOR difference i noticed is when towing the pintle moves when accelerating and stopping so you feel this jerk that your not used to when using the ball. thats the only thing i noticed, as far as control and things it was fine

ajslands
04-06-2010, 02:07 PM
That's why pintles break more often than the ball, also it is so much reasier to back up to compared to the ball!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
04-06-2010, 02:08 PM
That's why pintles break more often than the ball, also it is so much reasier to back up to compared to the ball!!!!! Also there easier to steal! :crying:
Posted via Mobile Device

M & MD Lawn
04-06-2010, 02:12 PM
That's why pintles break more often than the ball, also it is so much reasier to back up to compared to the ball!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

i agree with the easier to hookup!!!!! :clapping:

stacks04
04-06-2010, 02:36 PM
i have the combo hitch setup. it is versatile. the main difference is the pintle has a little more movement in it when used with a combo hitch. i would not, not buy it because if this though.

lawn king
04-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Pintle is much stronger.

oakwdman
04-06-2010, 09:25 PM
There's a reason why you only see pintles on heavier duty trailers, because they're heavier duty... I personally hate the combo ball/pintle hitches on the pintle side, there is much more slop/play than with a dedicated pintle hitch. I love the combo hitches for the ball since they're a great way to get a 6"-8" or more drop while still being rated for any decent weight.

ProTouch Groundscapes
04-07-2010, 09:28 AM
yep, i use a dedicated pintle hitch for my deckover equipment trailer, much much less slop than a pintle/ball combo hitch. it almost feels like a ball hitch. and i also keep a combo hitch with 2 5/16" in my toolbox for our enclosed. The pintle combo+plate is much stronger than a standard drop drawbar.

MikeKle
04-07-2010, 10:00 AM
How big of a trailer is the OP talking about? Im assuming it is pretty big to have a pintle hitch, Ive never seen a regular 16ft trailer with anything other than a standard ball or a bull dog type. I wonder why they use the pintle on huge equipment trailers if they are prone to breaking more? I would be nervous about all that play back and forth when taking off and stopping, especially if youve got a big backhoe or dozer back there! I think the semi type hook up is the best, if it were available for lighter duty trucks, the sliding plate and single pin design. Surprising nobody has designed a smaller version of this for use by a pick up truck?

oakwdman
04-07-2010, 10:44 AM
^they do- its called a 5th wheel.
Posted via Mobile Device

snowman55
04-07-2010, 10:45 AM
they have it's called a 5th wheel. I have pintle on everything even 2500# single axle trailers

ken gustafson
04-07-2010, 10:59 AM
When the trailer has brakes....there is no slop or banging. I have 4 trailers and all have lunette eyes...mine have electric brakes...especially when hauling empty... I adjust the brakes inside the cab so that some brakes are applied when I touch my brakes....zero noise. Have had these setups for 15 years and no problems of any kind. Ken

MikeKle
04-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I know about 5th wheels, but you dont see them on smaller open trailer though. Maybe replacing the ball in a regular hitch with a small 5th wheel set-up and the trailer could have a small pin instead of a ball receiver? That would work pretty good I bet!

ken gustafson
04-07-2010, 11:23 AM
5th wheel...goose neck any of these names refer to either a 2 5/16"..3" ball or a king pin. The king pin is what all heavy trucks use. My biggest trailer is a 6 x 12 dump bed and I use a lunette eye....and zero problems of ANY kind or description...zero. It hauls 1 cord of firewood at least 150 times a year plus a few loads of gravel and sand....manure every once in a while but not much. ZERO...problems...no issues and I drag it through the forest with my bulldozer when loading....then behind my pickup when delivering. Ken