PDA

View Full Version : yellow pages - worth it?

David Gretzmier
04-06-2010, 07:10 PM
we continue to cut back our yellow page expenditures as more folks call us from referrals, web, trucks, yard signs and postcards. we still get yellow page calls, just probably only 10-20 % of our leads now. This year in the green book ( we have 4 , the green book folks say they have 40% of the market usage, but who knows ) they raised our rates from 1800 to 2700 for the year, for 3 business card size color ads and a bold red white pages listing, so I am cutting back to a couple of 1/2 inch listings and a logo listing in the white. still, at a cost of 1200 bucks, it ain't cheap. I could mail 1500 postcards 3 times over for that, printed saturation mailed, and addressed.

but I feel we absolutely need to be in there. what do you guys do, and what do you pay, and do you think it is worth it?

RLI Electric
04-06-2010, 09:18 PM
David, I don't know if landscape lighting is a big thing down your way. It is not huge here in CT. Those that are doing it, I don't think they would open the yellowpages to find landscape lighting. I think that particular demographic group is going to look online and not in the phone book. A small maybe even free add may be the way to go.

Tim R.
04-07-2010, 07:26 AM
David, I don't know if landscape lighting is a big thing down your way. It is not huge here in CT. Those that are doing it, I don't think they would open the yellowpages to find landscape lighting. I think that particular demographic group is going to look online and not in the phone book. A small maybe even free add may be the way to go.

Ditto, the phone book has never worked for me. Affluent folks usually are always looking on the web via their home computer or phone. Phone books are good for some niche markets but I don't feel they matter for ours.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Yellow pages don't work well here. They only seem to generate tire kickers and price shoppers. Any cold calls we get from the phone book we direct to our website and ask them to schedule a consultation via email. That seems to separate the wheat from the chaff. Those impressed by the site follow through and those looking for quick, easy and cheap systems look elsewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

emby
04-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I have to agree with everybody else on this one. Although I do have a couple of ads in different areas my intention was to promote service to existing systems as I know around here they do not have that type of service.
I have received two calls over a six month period which I did complete installations for and in return it payed for my advertisement costs.
I too have spent a lot of time on a proposal package which is now complete. Along with a description of what my company does, a description of the proposed design, proposal costs, and terms of aggreement along with a maintenance package, proof on Insurance etc.
All of this is presented in a printed two sided binder with photos of my work on the outside and inside. We inserted two slots where a brochure and my business card can be held. The feed back from customers as been very positive with such an elaborate proposal package and has proven to be successful this year as I have closed every proposal since March.
When it came time for printing I did exactly what was mentioned above. I approached the printer who wanted lighting and we exchanged through the barter system. Worked out well for me as I still have a credit with him. I am guessing that I have exceeded other competitions proposal presentations and that is why it has been so successful. Remember to be Remarkable. Best advice I have been given and its working totally. Also I would like to thank James at Integra and Steve Perrott from Cast lighting for all of their help bringing my business above everybody elses. Truly two mentors that need to be thanked.

Ken

seolatlanta
04-07-2010, 09:45 PM
A HUGE NO for me as well with the Yellow pages. Here in the ATL it is so expensive and there are so many different books as well.

A few years ago I actually had them do my website and ad package and it was a waste of money. I know , what was I thinking?

NightScenes
04-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Noooooooooooo

sprinkler guy
04-09-2010, 11:23 AM
David,

Even here in Southern California I feel it is a waste of money for the work I do and the clients I chase. Because of my relationship with a large landscape company I kind of ride their coattails on Yellow Page advertising. They run ads in four area books listing all of their services including landscape lighting. They get lots of calls for tree work, sprinklers, and concrete, but I've gotten TWO calls in three years specifically for a lighting job, and only got one of them. For the kind of money your yellow pages is asking, look into a billboard.

David Gretzmier
04-09-2010, 09:09 PM
man, thanks for all the resonses. I know I have gotten jobs off the pages, but by far it is the most I spend per lead or job. so cutting back makes sense, but I won't abandon it alltogether.