PDA

View Full Version : Gray Snow Mold

Cleveland25
04-06-2010, 09:25 PM
About 5 years ago I pulled out my old lawn and replanted new grass. Every year it would come up nice and green after the winter. But this year the entire grass looks like it is dead with gray snow mold everywhere. There are a couple of green spots but the rest is all dead. What can I do to get my lawn back to being green, and also what can I do in the fall to prevent this from happening again?

jcschlic
04-22-2010, 03:18 PM
I had to rake the snow mold from my lawn early this spring. As soon as I did you could see the grass underneath that had been wanting to grow...

I think snow mold develops when a large amount of nitrogen is laid down in the fall and then you have a winter that doesn't allow the ground to freeze like it normally would. That is the type of winter we had here in Iowa - tons of snow that covered the ground very quickly and then never let up...

RigglePLC
04-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Perennial ryegrass is more susceptible to snowmold. Probably your seed mixture had too much perennial rye. Or perhaps a better quality seed would have had a more disease resistant perennial rye. It should bounce back--overseed with top-quality disease-reisstant seed as needed. Bluegrass is more snowmold tolerant. Next year snow won't be as deep--no problem.

GrassStitcher
04-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Check out this option for dealing with snowmold: http://gallery.me.com/lawnguru#100077