PDA

View Full Version : TGCL huge price increase.

tlg
04-06-2010, 11:32 PM
TGCL was out hanging door flyer's today. I talked to one of the guys as I was giving an estimate for a customer. He tells me that TGCL raised their prices by as much as 15 bucks on some customers. He also said they are hell bent on trying to make money this year. We have had an exceptional amount of calls from TGCL customers because they were peeved at the huge increases. I making whatever deals I can to get these people as customers. As anybody else seen an increase in calls from TCGL customers?

SeedPro
04-06-2010, 11:42 PM
No more than usual.

GravelyGuy
04-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Around here they target and lowball lawns that have fert flags. $50 lawn gets a $35 flyer from Trugreen.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-07-2010, 01:11 AM
I'd have to see it to believe it.....

rcreech
04-07-2010, 07:31 AM
I am not surprised!

I heard last year they were going to raise their prices but never seen it!

That is what you have to do when you are not making money.

Hopefully they can price themselves out and make it even that much easier for people to call us.

I am gonna have to hire more people. :)

SWEET!

a plus bob
04-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Around here they target and lowball lawns that have fert flags. $50 lawn gets a $35 flyer from Trugreen.

They were in watkins glen put a flyer on the door of my customer while I was there!! I asked them if they were on rd 4 or 5 :laugh:

GravelyGuy
04-07-2010, 09:22 AM
They were in watkins glen put a flyer on the door of my customer while I was there!! I asked them if they were on rd 4 or 5 :laugh:

The 14 step program to a better lawn:rolleyes:

Young Bros
04-07-2010, 09:57 AM
We are lucky cause the TG franchise here is the 2nd highest company behind All American Turf Beauty. That is if the lawn is not an x lead or a guesstimate like a lot of their lawns. They also give a killer deal the first year or two then some people switch after their price is normal.

WestGaPineStraw
04-07-2010, 10:19 AM
They're still cheap regardless... btw, anyone else notice that their service still sucks

Runner
04-07-2010, 12:57 PM
New logos, new paint on trucks, they are advertising on television heavy again this year, and in this attempt to revamp, a new price structure. Don't let anyone tell you they don't ,make money, because the corporation makes HUGE money. Will the pricing last? With guys selling for commission and on quota,...it is doubtful. Will quality be there? Again, with $10 an hour hose jockeys running on the quota they do, - it's doubtful. Even if they DID do something different for their operators, it wouldn't take long for each store to start pushing for higher numbers, managers competing with each other, and the envelopes to be pushed again.

tlg
04-07-2010, 02:08 PM
It's kinda funny when you think about it. To think that a new logo, a paint job a " go green " marketing campaign will improve their bottom line is ludicrous. You would think that at least somebody at TGCL would direct the company into a more customer service oriented operation. If they would just focus on taking good care of the customers they have they would be much further ahead in the game. We would all be threatened by the ominous TGCL empire if they put as much effort into retaining a customer as they do trying to get new ones. It cost a whole lot more to bring in a new customer. At the end of the day it's the same old TGCL. Lucky for them that there are still plenty of people out there who have never heard of TGCL, are blinded by the smoke and mirrors marketing and are apathetic when it comes to customer service.

SeedPro
04-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Just had a call from a customer here....7000 sq ft lawn. I do it for 45, and 80 for grub control. Good sized company here doing area pricing sent him an ad and they will do it for 30 dollars an app and include a free grub control.

Amazing. I wouldn't care but I have to spend my time explaining to people the differences in our methods, and companies.

Low balling hacks.

I have half a mind to mention their names here.

I told my client that back in 1982....we did lawns like his for 30 dollars.

almost 30 years ago.

He stays with me and is recommending me to his neighbor.....smart enough to know when something sounds too good to be true, but a lot of people will jump on that rate.....people I don't need or want on my list.

tlg
04-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Back in the early 80's we were doing lawns for $22.00. As late as 1998 we were still under $30.00. Urea was $4.00 a bag, fuel a $1.50. It's not hard to believe that these cut rate companies know that their service is so worthless that they must charge accordingly. The fact that they have to give their service away for free should really make people think. You can compete with stupidity by letting them destroy themselves.

SeedPro
04-07-2010, 06:11 PM
I started with Davey Lawnscape and the lowball price for 3000 sq ft in 1982 was 29.00

Like I said they can have those kind of lawns and customers. I don't want them, but when I have to start re educating and re selling my customers because of their lowball tactics it pisses me off.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
04-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I asked them if they were on rd 4 or 5 :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: That's funny!!!!!

lawn king
04-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Back in the early 80's we were doing lawns for $22.00. As late as 1998 we were still under $30.00. Urea was $4.00 a bag, fuel a $1.50. It's not hard to believe that these cut rate companies know that their service is so worthless that they must charge accordingly. The fact that they have to give their service away for free should really make people think. You can compete with stupidity by letting them destroy themselves.

We started in 1973 and have never had a $22. lawn? During the 1970's we had a $40. minimum.

ted putnam
04-07-2010, 10:29 PM

You should have asked him if he was on crack!!! hanging a flyer on your customers door while you're there. That takes some nerve!!!

ted putnam
04-07-2010, 10:50 PM
It's kinda funny when you think about it. To think that a new logo, a paint job a " go green " marketing campaign will improve their bottom line is ludicrous. You would think that at least somebody at TGCL would direct the company into a more customer service oriented operation. If they would just focus on taking good care of the customers they have they would be much further ahead in the game. We would all be threatened by the ominous TGCL empire if they put as much effort into retaining a customer as they do trying to get new ones. It cost a whole lot more to bring in a new customer. At the end of the day it's the same old TGCL. Lucky for them that there are still plenty of people out there who have never heard of TGCL, are blinded by the smoke and mirrors marketing and are apathetic when it comes to customer service.

I've gotten 4 brochures in the mail from them so far this season. 2 were mailed so close together, they arrived on the same day! I was going to call them for an estimate but my wife asked me not to. This last one was their same $29.95 special along with a back lawn "makeover" giveaway with Lowes in bed with them. It has a picture of legs and feet of people with "flipflops"on. The patch of turf they're on looks like it's infested with chickweed and clover. I wonder who approved the artwork in that piece...

drobin
04-07-2010, 11:01 PM
No, Ive seen the opposite, willing to go as low as it takes, I gave an estimate that was bare bones and apparently from this customer they were considerably less expensive. Another potential customer says id use you but I like to call tgcl back all the time to do retreats cause thats there policy and so if they keep coming back until Im happy than how can you beat that. I know they are making money but honestly I dont know how, with all that is spent on advertising and these low low ball prices and promotions its tough. I sell quality but around here in this economy it seems price is king! I put out 1000 post cards to strategic neighborhoods and got two calls, yes 2 out of 1000 and the cards were professionally done. It all trickes down - I had to go with a cheaper supplier for round 1 because my business is literally hanging by a thread. Lawn dug also just moved in- 9.99 any lawn any size 1st app with 3 year contract, 29.99 -1 year contract 1st app.
I suspect that some companies dont put the right rate down because literally it would seem impossible even with the huge quantity discounts, wow its getten cut throat. I thought mowing was tough with all the illegals but I think this may be worse!

ted putnam
04-07-2010, 11:53 PM
No, Ive seen the opposite, willing to go as low as it takes, I gave an estimate that was bare bones and apparently from this customer they were considerably less expensive. Another potential customer says id use you but I like to call tgcl back all the time to do retreats cause thats there policy and so if they keep coming back until Im happy than how can you beat that. I know they are making money but honestly I dont know how, with all that is spent on advertising and these low low ball prices and promotions its tough. I sell quality but around here in this economy it seems price is king! I put out 1000 post cards to strategic neighborhoods and got two calls, yes 2 out of 1000 and the cards were professionally done. It all trickes down - I had to go with a cheaper supplier for round 1 because my business is literally hanging by a thread. Lawn dug also just moved in- 9.99 any lawn any size 1st app with 3 year contract, 29.99 -1 year contract 1st app.
I suspect that some companies dont put the right rate down because literally it would seem impossible even with the huge quantity discounts, wow its getten cut throat. I thought mowing was tough with all the illegals but I think this may be worse!

Offer referral discounts. I did this year and it's paying off pretty well. There are still those that demand quality the first time and no calling for free "service" calls multiple times after the paid service. Offer quality professional service and maybe a little incentive to your present customers and your reputation as well as your customer count will grow.

rcreech
04-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Offer referral discounts. I did this year and it's paying off pretty well. There are still those that demand quality the first time and no calling for free "service" calls multiple times after the paid service. Offer quality professional service and maybe a little incentive to your present customers and your reputation as well as your customer count will grow.

Same thing works for me!

It is much cheaper to offer a good referral program then it is to market! Plus your leads are MUCH better and closing rate will be very high!

I offer $15 off for both the new customer and the person referring.

Total cost of new customer is $30...but that is nothing!

ike1018
04-08-2010, 04:40 PM
This year it does seem TG prices are higher as I haven't had issues with them low balling me like I have in years past. Although, there are a few smaller companies around here that are picking up the low balling slack, 23k sq ft lawn for $49. I have been getting quite a few TG & Scotts customers who haven't received their Round 1 yet and are looking to make a change. We had snow on the ground into mid March so they are probably about 3 to 4 weeks behind, plus it looks like they didn't carry over as many techs this year based on the number of techs they are looking to hire.

SeedPro
04-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Same thing works for me!

It is much cheaper to offer a good referral program then it is to market! Plus your leads are MUCH better and closing rate will be very high!

I offer $15 off for both the new customer and the person referring.

Total cost of new customer is $30...but that is nothing!

So is your offer cheapskate.

I give two free applications up to a 200 dollar value for a full program referral.

rcreech
04-08-2010, 06:13 PM

I give two free applications up to a 200 dollar value for a full program referral.

Great business skills there Seedpro! I look at profiting as much as I can...not giving it back to my customers!

What I am offering is getting me just as much work as I want and my customers really appreciate it! I wouldn't have to do anything!

That would suck having to give 2 free applications worth $200 to get work!

My service and skills are worth more then that as I don't have to "give away the farm" to pick up new customers.

That should tell you something about your business if you have to make that strong of an offer to pick up new customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indyturf
04-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Great business skills there Seedpro! I look at profiting as much as I can...not giving it back to my customers!

What I am offering is getting me just as much work as I want and my customers really appreciate it! I wouldn't have to do anything!

My service and skills are worth more then that as I don't have to "give away the farm" to pick up new customers.

That should tell you something about your business if you have to make that strong of an offer to pick up new customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree...... I haven't had to advertise for 10 years and I get over 50 new customers from referral's every year. I started giving $25 referral bonus this year just because I felt guilty!

phasthound
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM

Holy crap!!

Frank Fescue
04-08-2010, 07:32 PM
i'll offer a free application of "super summer saver fert" which is a bag of lime for any referals. and sometimes i'll track down phone numbers of people with chem lawn flags in their lawns and then call telling them i'm their chemlawn rep and i didn't like their attitude last time i treated their lawn and they better show some respect next time. several days later i leave my flyer in their mailbox, ka-ching.

rcreech
04-08-2010, 09:38 PM
I agree...... I haven't had to advertise for 10 years and I get over 50 new customers from referral's every year. I started giving $25 referral bonus this year just because I felt guilty!

I have only been in business for 5 full seasons and starting number 6. I have not done any marketing in 2 years...and I am picking up more work now then I ever did before!

Good work sells!

If you have to give a $200 referral credit...you are crying for work!

I would question how good of a customer base one would have if they have to GIVE AWAY their work! That also tells the customer that you are charging too much if you can give that much away!

All I can say is...have fun working for FREE while I am counting my bills! :laugh:

Greenery
04-08-2010, 10:09 PM
i'll offer a free application of "super summer saver fert" which is a bag of lime for any referals. and sometimes i'll track down phone numbers of people with chem lawn flags in their lawns and then call telling them i'm their chemlawn rep and i didn't like their attitude last time i treated their lawn and they better show some respect next time. several days later i leave my flyer in their mailbox, ka-ching.

I always enjoy reading your posts, you make the threads so much more entertaining
What other shady tricks you got up your sleave.

americanlawn
04-08-2010, 10:11 PM
$200??? Not telling you how to run your business, but........

Here's what we offer: FIVE BUCKS per referral. Seems to work for us cuz our customer count has never dropped, and we had our most profitable year in 2009. Our customers don't care if they get money back. They just feel good about recommending us over the competition.

3000 customers. Central Iowa's #1 Independent. :usflag::walking:

p.s. Posting your prices on the web is something I would never do. IMO

drobin
04-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Frank fescue- your approach to picking up new customers has made my day. Thats hysterical!!!! Really wrong, but definitely funny!!! This is the hardest Ive laughed in 6 months, thanks Frank "Ka Ching" Fescue

SeedPro
04-08-2010, 11:25 PM

I'm dropping it back down to 1 free application next year, and you obvioulsy don't know what it costs you to actually get good new clients. I do.

If I was going to offer someone fifteen measly dollars for a referral....I just wouldn't insult them at all and I would offer them nothing.

Most of my referrals cost me less than 100 dollars. Chump change when it comes to getting a solid referral customer....and again, if any of you knew exactly what it cost to get new clients, you wouldn't be freaking out at my generous, and valuable offer.

I also give every new client that calls from my extensive advertising a free application (winterizer)

I have sold 14000 dollars worth of work this week alone.

SeedPro
04-08-2010, 11:28 PM
I have only been in business for 5 full seasons and starting number 6. I have not done any marketing in 2 years...and I am picking up more work now then I ever did before!

Good work sells!

If you have to give a $200 referral credit...you are crying for work!

I would question how good of a customer base one would have if they have to GIVE AWAY their work! That also tells the customer that you are charging too much if you can give that much away!

All I can say is...have fun working for FREE while I am counting my bills! :laugh:

Dood....there you go not getting what I said and misunderstanding. It's UP TO 200 dollars. Most cost me less than 100.

I do well over 200K a year and my average client is worth 400.00

I have a 100,000 dollar rig I drive not including my Equipment and everything is paid for.

I do just fine thank you.

SeedPro
04-08-2010, 11:30 PM
$200??? Not telling you how to run your business, but........

Here's what we offer: FIVE BUCKS per referral. Seems to work for us cuz our customer count has never dropped, and we had our most profitable year in 2009. Our customers don't care if they get money back. They just feel good about recommending us over the competition.

3000 customers. Central Iowa's #1 Independent. :usflag::walking:

p.s. Posting your prices on the web is something I would never do. IMO

5 dollars for a referral?

Good lord.

How insulting.

:rolleyes:

rcreech
04-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Dood....there you go not getting what I said and misunderstanding. It's UP TO 200 dollars. Most cost me less than 100.

I do well over 200K a year and my average client is worth 400.00

I have a 100,000 dollar rig I drive not including my Equipment and everything is paid for.

I do just fine thank you.

Way to back pedal now that everyone has told you, you are an idiot for giving away your services for a referral!

200K a year.....:laugh:

So what you are telling me is you have been doing this for 30 years and I am making more then you in 6 years! :)

WOW! Thank for sharing that!

You said you have a 100K rig...lets see pics.

I have one of the nicest rigs around...and I only have 15K in it!

Show us some pics big boy of a 100K rig! :)

SeedPro
04-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Well here's my original post on the matter.

No backpeddling at all. Rcreech lying again.....

It's there for everyone to see....

You're not to good at this intrawebs stuff, are you.....lol

I'm not posting pictures of my rig here.
I do over 200K a year.....solo. I have been in Lawn Care for 28 years. This is the beginning of my fifth year in business.

Can you say the same?

Anyhoo.....I'm off to bed. Have a full day of Pro tomorrow and I'll be on my first job at 8am sharp.

:)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Might be wise to stray from the 'income' talk guys. If everyone makes a good income and is happy with it, who cares what the other guy makes? Even SeedPro.

ted putnam
04-09-2010, 12:02 AM

Unless those 2 free apps are water/tracker dye only, you are losing your A$$. Many of my customers give referrals with no incentive. If I gave away the "Farm", I'd end up working on someone else's plantation... NO THANKS. You may have sold 14k worth of business this week alone and I might be a CIA agent sent here to spy on Lawn Care companies... Anybody can say anything and be anyone on here. IMO to give away a 3rd of what you gain in referral discounts is Ludicrous...

rcreech
04-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Well here's my original post on the matter.

No backpeddling at all. Rcreech lying again.....

It's there for everyone to see....

You're not to good at this intrawebs stuff, are you.....lol

I'm not posting pictures of my rig here.
I do over 200K a year.....solo. I have been in Lawn Care for 28 years. This is the beginning of my fifth year in business.

Can you say the same?

Anyhoo.....I'm off to bed. Have a full day of Pro tomorrow and I'll be on my first job at 8am sharp.

I knew youi wouldn't post pics and that is why I asked!

I have never in my life seen a "rig" over 50k...so thank you!

If I had a 100k "rig" I would post pics.

You can call me a "liar" all you want...but prove me wrong on your "rig".

I didn't say anything you didn't. You give 2 free applications UP TO $200. Did I say you gave away more then that?

Where did I mispeak?

I love it man~! You are sooooooo backpedaling! :laugh:

Now you have "been in the business" for 28 years....and only been in business for 5 years! So you were a hose dragger for someone else and know everything now! :laugh:

For a single man operation how are you getting any work done during the week AND picking up $14,000 worth work in 1 WEEK?

Keep talking man...the more you do the deeper you get!

SeedPro
04-09-2010, 08:30 AM
I run 30,000 inserts a week between 6 newspapers and have an ad IN the newspapers as well.

I admit it has been a good week so far.....but I average 25% growth per year and have every year since starting.

My unit is highly lettered and I would rather not have my company name all over Lawnsite, thank you.

My truck is worth well over fifty retail and I have a highly modified custom Pace Race Trailer.

Arguing with you grows tiresome Creech.

Lets just let bygones be bygones and let it lay.

I'm sure the mods are growing tired of this as well.

pieperlc
04-09-2010, 09:02 AM
I don't care who is right or wrong, I just want to see a 100k lawn care rig (less equipment). It must have a gold diamond plate flooring, and a full bar? C'mon seed, just post a pic and use photoshop to blank your name on it. I'd post mine, but I just copied american. My next rig will be a creech look-alike. :laugh:

phasthound
04-09-2010, 11:23 AM
The best spray rigs I have used are made by Green Pro Solutions. This one can cost $120,000. It is a money maker if you have enough work for it. They make smaller rigs & can customize them for your exact needs. The designs, workmanship and durability of these rigs far surpass any I've worked with.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
04-09-2010, 07:50 PM
I have been in Lawn Care for 28 years. This is the beginning of my fifth year in business.

Can you say the same?

So......You were someones B!tch for 23 years as a lawn care hose jockey, before striking it out on your own? This stuff aint rocket science man.....:dizzy:

I'm having a hard time doing the math:confused: 300 customers averaging $400 each equals $120,000, not $200,000:confused:

rcreech
04-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I just want to see his "$100,000 rig".

I am trying to figure out why a guy would spend $100,000 (not including equipment) on an operation that only has $200,000 in gross sales.

If he doesn't post pics of the outfit...I am calling his bluff!

Show us what you got Seed Pro!

SeedPro
04-09-2010, 09:35 PM
So......You were someones B!tch for 23 years as a lawn care hose jockey, before striking it out on your own? This stuff aint rocket science man.....:dizzy:

I'm having a hard time doing the math:confused: 300 customers averaging $400 each equals $120,000, not $200,000:confused:

I do several hundred clients for three different landscaping lawn maint companies as well and have since I started.

I had my own company for 7 years in the late eighties and early nineties then sold it after a great offer was made and I went to work for an NHRA prostock team for four years.

I actually mis spoke too.....I meant to say the rig is worth 100K with equipment.....so laugh all you want.

But I have a new Dodge one ton dually with a custom Pace Trailer.

:shrugs:

The truck and trailer are worth 75 easy.

SeedPro
04-09-2010, 09:37 PM
I just want to see his "$100,000 rig".

I am trying to figure out why a guy would spend $100,000 (not including equipment) on an operation that only has $200,000 in gross sales.

If he doesn't post pics of the outfit...I am calling his bluff!

Show us what you got Seed Pro!

I am financially stable, and fairly well off if you must know.....not to brag.

And with that....it's my last post on this topic and I am done with the thread.

phasthound
04-09-2010, 09:44 PM
I am financially stable, and fairly well off if you must know.....not to brag.

And with that....it's my last post on this topic and I am done with the thread.

But all you do is brag and call everyone else liars. Give it a rest, you have no credibility.

Oh crap, I just fed the troll.

rcreech
04-09-2010, 10:02 PM
You may think you "rig" is worth $100,000...but as soon as you drive that $50,000 dually off the lot is lost 25%.

I don't care about your finances and hope you don't think I do!

I am just saying that you are full of crap and every thing you do is bigger and better then everyone else. They when questioned about it...you back pedal EVERY TIME! Then you sit there and tell everyone how much better you are and all about your experience.

Example:

Everyone else give $5-15 referral and you say up to $200.
When questioned you said you are dropping it!

You stated you had a $100,000 rig without equipment.
When questioned you said you have a $75,000 rig +equipment.

The more you talk the more you look like an idiot!

Keep going man...this is fun! :)

You can look at all my equipment on here because I have nothing to hide!

rcreech
04-09-2010, 10:03 PM
but all you do is brag and call everyone else liars. Give it a rest, you have no credibility.

Exactly!!!!!

Frank Fescue
04-09-2010, 11:15 PM
expensive equipment only cuts into profits. when i do my usual apps it's out of an econovan so the customers cant see what products i have. i do my service calls and sales calls in my mercedes so i can tell the customer that i am the owner and show that i am very succesful. it helps them to trust you so you can better take advantage of them down the road. i got most of my equipment for free after filling dozens of BS lawsuits because it's easier to get people to pay up if you're willing to shut up. i've never spent a dime of my lawn care earnings on equipment and chemicals.

seedpro im sure is very succesful, but boasting and bragging about how great your toys are only gets them taken from you when knuckles sbraccia and tommy "the lip" mcallister find out where you keep them at night.

RABBITMAN11
04-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Hey creech I have 150,000 rig and I can prove it!
Posted via Mobile Device

jasontimm
04-10-2010, 07:40 AM
[QUOTE=SeedPro;3513837]I do several hundred clients for three different landscaping lawn maint companies as well and have since I started.

I have you on a couple diffrent threads saying you have 300 clients, not several hundred......and i dont even have $13,000 in my truck and spray rig, that can probably do the same..."bling dont make you money"

rcreech
04-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Hey creech I have 150,000 rig and I can prove it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh yea....I just remembered I have 200 more clients I forgot about and my $200,000 "rig".
I will not show you pictures though because I take care of the White House also and it is for security reasons!
Posted via Mobile Device

rcreech
04-10-2010, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=SeedPro;3513837]I do several hundred clients for three different landscaping lawn maint companies as well and have since I started.

I have you on a couple diffrent threads saying you have 300 clients, not several hundred......and i dont even have $13,000 in my truck and spray rig, that can probably do the same..."bling dont make you money"

Same here

I probably have the nicest unit around and with my z and pg both loaded in it I probably have about less then 25k in it
it is a production dream machine
Posted via Mobile Device

rcreech
04-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Oops

double post

SeedPro
04-10-2010, 09:20 AM

I shouldn't respond, but you guys just won't stop.

The several hundred I do for other lawn care companies are not under contract to me, therefore they are not technically my clients so I don't include them in my client list.

Jesus Christ you guys are relentless.

TLS
04-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Good stuff!

But it all comes down to your customers perception of value.

If you give something away, it's value to the customer/potential customer drops.

If it's free this year, why was I paying for it the last 8 years?

If you choose to give something to a customer for a referral, make it a gift card to a local restaurant or something. Giving away services also opens the door for unwanted negotiation.

SeedPro
04-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Good stuff!

But it all comes down to your customers perception of value.

If you give something away, it's value to the customer/potential customer drops.

If it's free this year, why was I paying for it the last 8 years?

If you choose to give something to a customer for a referral, make it a gift card to a local restaurant or something. Giving away services also opens the door for unwanted negotiation.

I know my referral is too good a deal. It's served me well, and it only applies to full program sales. It has to date not cost me more than 100 dollars for an individual referral, but my experience is through advertising is that it costs 100 dollars to get a new client. This is why retention is so important because your roi goes up each year you keep them.

I am lowering mine after this year and may just go with a 25 dollar offer or something like that.

I'm getting to the point where I can't really take on too many more clients anyhow which is a good thing.

rcreech
04-11-2010, 10:15 AM
I know my referral is too good a deal. It's served me well, and it only applies to full program sales.

I am lowering mine after this year and may just go with a 25 dollar offer or something like that.

Just one more thing Seedpro and I will leave you alone!

Look back at the beginning of this thread where I stated I give a total of $30 for referrals and you called me a "cheapskate"....and now you are going to give $25. This is what I am talking about with you as far as back pedaling.

I don't know if you don't think or just type as you go...but your nonsense cocky comments and attitude started all this!

If you act like you are better then everyone else...these will be common responses and you will get slammed. If you just state what you do and don't think everyone else is "stipid" or "newbies" you may get a little more respect (not sure).

Also...you need to put your money where your mouth is. If you say you have something, you need to back it up.

Good Day,
Rodney Creech

RABBITMAN11
04-11-2010, 04:25 PM
10000 customers and growing!
Posted via Mobile Device

SeedPro
04-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Just one more thing Seedpro and I will leave you alone!

Look back at the beginning of this thread where I stated I give a total of $30 for referrals and you called me a "cheapskate"....and now you are going to give $25. This is what I am talking about with you as far as back pedaling.

I don't know if you don't think or just type as you go...but your nonsense cocky comments and attitude started all this!

If you act like you are better then everyone else...these will be common responses and you will get slammed. If you just state what you do and don't think everyone else is "stipid" or "newbies" you may get a little more respect (not sure).

Also...you need to put your money where your mouth is. If you say you have something, you need to back it up.

Good Day,
Rodney Creech

You just don't know me. Calling you a cheapskate is just some good ribbing and fun. Relax. You dish it out as good.....so learn to take some back.

Some of the comments here have made me rethink my policy.....so that's a good thing. Right?

SeedPro
04-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Well I was able to figure out a way to post a photo of the rig.

americanlawn
04-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Holy sh$t SeedPro ---- That's a NICE rig! A money maker. Well done. :usflag:

PSUTURFGEEK
04-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Just to touch on the beginning of this post. I sold directly to trugreen for many years and honestly speaking they could do an acre property for 65.00 and still make a very nice profit if they really needed to. All of trugreens suppliers take a very big hit when selling to them. lets say a vendor owns a bag of fertilizer for 9.00 they will sell it to trugreen for 7.00 and pray for enough rebates to cover that bag at the end of the year. It's all about volume, vendors use this low margin business to trugreen as a way to get the volume up and get better pricing from the fertilizer blending facilities. Honestly if you guys could see some of the chemical and fertilizer pricing Trugreen gets you would truly be shocked.

TLS
04-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Just to touch on the beginning of this post. I sold directly to trugreen for many years and honestly speaking they could do an acre property for 65.00 and still make a very nice profit if they really needed to. All of trugreens suppliers take a very big hit when selling to them. lets say a vendor owns a bag of fertilizer for 9.00 they will sell it to trugreen for 7.00 and pray for enough rebates to cover that bag at the end of the year. It's all about volume, vendors use this low margin business to trugreen as a way to get the volume up and get better pricing from the fertilizer blending facilities. Honestly if you guys could see some of the chemical and fertilizer pricing Trugreen gets you would truly be shocked.

The Wal-Martization of the Green Industry!
Posted via Mobile Device

SeedPro
04-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Holy sh$t SeedPro ---- That's a NICE rig! A money maker. Well done. :usflag:

Thanks Larry. The sprayer is a split tank 300 gallon GNC sprayer used for water, and tree care only. Never had WC in it. The Pace Trailer is Rhino Lined on the floor and door and a foot up the sidewalls.

It's the rig I have wanted since I was 9. Only took me forty years to get.

GravelyGuy
04-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks Larry. The sprayer is a split tank 300 gallon GNC sprayer used for water, and tree care only. Never had WC in it. The Pace Trailer is Rhino Lined on the floor and door and a foot up the sidewalls.

It's the rig I have wanted since I was 9. Only took me forty years to get.

Have any inside pics? Looks nice.

SeedPro
04-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Have any inside pics? Looks nice.

Bare before I installed the cabinets and such. I'll see what else I can find.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=183369&d=1270518461

SeedPro
04-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Couple more.

SeedPro
04-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Another...

SeedPro
04-11-2010, 07:49 PM

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e244/Killswitch007/Truckandtrailer005.jpg

GravelyGuy
04-11-2010, 07:51 PM
You keep your stuff at a storage place? Reason I ask is becuase I tried to store my fert at a storage place and they said no way.

SeedPro
04-11-2010, 07:55 PM
You keep your stuff at a storage place? Reason I ask is becuase I tried to store my fert at a storage place and they said no way.

No problem here. Guys real nice and I do him a free app now and then as a courtesy for keeping my rent at 100 a month for a 10 x 30 which as I understand is dirt cheap. I have two. Ones full of belongings from my parents house when they passed away and I cleared it out.

Have to have a garage sale this year.

I also have a nice outdoor spot there for my trailer when not in use thats on a concrete pad for 42 a month.

rcreech
04-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Seedpro,

That is a very nice and professional looking rig.

Not what I was expecting when you say you have a 100K "rig"...but very nice!

I guess I was expecting some real elaborate spray rig for that money not just a truck and trailer! :)

Remember it isn't what you think it is worth...it is what you could sell it for!

I have a friend that says his horse is worth $80,000...and I always tell him I will believe him when he gets paid that much for it! :)

a plus bob
04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Nice rig and Z max

SeedPro
04-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks guys.

Of course it's not worth what it was new. The trucks a late 2008, but only has 20,000 miles on it. It doesn't even move in winter and is basically in storage.

It's never seen salt and never will.

I also have a 99 Dodge plow truck with a Meyer 7.5 with pro wings and a large Byers tailgate salter with the swing away brackets.

SeedPro
04-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Plow Truck