PDA

View Full Version : South Zone 7 Fescue Question

joshfcb
04-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Hey all,

Got a question about fescue in southern climates. I am in Zone 7 I believe. Right at the south western Tip of Kentucky. My yard has turf type tall fescue. I have lived here for 2 years and last year, I believe I had too much nitrogen and ended up with Brown Patch in the summer. I don't have irrigation but do drag hoses. To date this year, I have applied the scotts with pre-emerg at the recommended rate and spot sprayed some problem areas with 2-4,D. My yard looks really good and it growing fast. I have a lot of clay in the soil and am still working on ph levels from the previous owner. My questions is do I go with Scotts's step 2 now, or do I try to find some straight fertilizer with low nitrogen levels? Also, I am mowing at 3" now, but will move it up to 3.5" as we head into summer.

2nd Question, I am sure this is a fall job, but does fescue need to be dethatched? I have worked with bermuda a lot and dethatching is essential, but I am truly a novice with this fescue.

Thanks,

maustm
04-08-2010, 12:24 PM
With all do respect, I would try to find something other than scotts. I buy my fert from a sod/seed warehouse type place in my area. This is the place I get my seed from, I have tall fescue as well, but I am in Nebraska. I switched to the seed sellers fert last year, WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Lower nitrogen, better slow release, all apps contain iron, etc and it is cheaper. My neighbor pays for lawn service - they put the same fert I get on his yard for 60 bucks/app.

Long story short, some of these types of ferts have lower nitrogen - so you don't have to worry as much about the burnout. Scotts uses higher nitrogen levels to get that quick temporary greenup. Since I stopped using scotts, I have suffered no brown patch, and have had a nice forest green color evenly across the lawn, and it lasts. Most of your local nurseries (earl may type places) will have some sort of plan built for the local weather type. Like I said when I saw a pretty large lawn care company putting down the same stuff I switched and have never looked back. I know Home Depot sells lesco....

The local place I use has a site with some info and they will answer any question over the phone http://lovelandlawns.com/

joshfcb
04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. I understand where you are coming from on the Scott's stuff.

maustm
04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Also, fescue rarely has issues with thatch, call your local extenstion office and ask for a tall fescue lawn calendar... here is the one for Nebraska....

http://turf.unl.edu/lawncalendars.cfm

You might have a printable one for your area.