PDA

View Full Version : Guy won't fix septic leak

iamthelawnbarber
04-07-2010, 04:31 PM
I have a customer with a septic leak in his drainage bed. I told him about it last summer, but he did nothing about it. I went to do his 1st cut of the season today and saw a pipe-I thought "GREAT-he got it fixed!" After string trimming the high grass around it, it turns out, the pipe broke completely off and is laying there in the grass. What do I do? I'm tired of mowing over his SH!T water! I was thinking about writing him a letter saying that I have a copy of this letter and he's going to ruin his bed if he doesn't get it fixed. The guy can afford $600 new patio furniture, but he can't fix his septic! I don't want to be blamed for this problem later down the road. Do I offer to fix it for him and charge him for it? Or refuse to cut it? I didn't break the pipe in the first place. I know I can't force him to get it fixed, but I don't want to deal with this another year. If I could afford it, I'd drop him as a customer and move on, but I need all the clients I can get. Any ideas??

JB1
04-07-2010, 04:37 PM
either mow it or quit.

Mickhippy
04-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Mow around it! If he asks tell him your not going ot get his cr@p water all over you! Health risk etc.
Im sure its illegal to have a non functioning septic system. It is here!

Lawn Enforcer
04-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Around here, non-functioning septic systems are a HUGE no-no. I would call my buddy in the septic business to tip off the county environment inspector, it would be fixed real quick.

garydale
04-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Be responsible report the guy, he's endangering his neighbors!

txgrassguy
04-08-2010, 09:57 AM
I have had this problem before. Homeowner not repairing a broken septic discharge line.
I simply stopped mowing around it and when the client complained I explained it was a health hazard and I wouldn't subject either me or any of my crews to it any longer.

I gave him one-week to repair it or service would stop completely.

He didn't so I stopped service. I do know the H.O.A. knew about the problem and sent him a letter saying the system required repair but since I never went back I didn't care.

People underestimate the potential for infection raw sewage represents and if your client is such an uncaring person I'd drop him as tendencies like this are a clear indicator he will turn into a pita which no one wants.

waterman1971
04-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Is it black or grey water ? In some cases grey water is permitted to be discharged on the surface.