PDA

View Full Version : Paver Maintenance (vegatation in joints)

DVS Hardscaper
04-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Had 2 calls about this.

Went on an estimate today for a lady whom had a paver pool deck put in by another contractor a few years ago. She said during the summer the weeds in the paver joints take over.

Just now had a previous client call me whom we put a pool deck in for back in 2001. He said the chickweed takes over in the joints in a shady area near his house.

Ok, what can we do to fix this permanently?

And before someone responds with "polysand" - lets remember that polysand is NOT intended NOR to be sold as a weed inhibitor, it's intended to prevent washouts.

I am thinking this:

1) let the weeds grow. After a decent stand of vegetation - come in with Round Up or some other potent vegetation killer, and spray the vegetation.

2) return a week later and with a pressure washer - blow the sand out of the joints.

3) Return the next day and resand the joints with poly sand.

4) seal with a paver sealer. it seems I have have good luck with preventing weeds on jobs where the pavers have been sealed.

Anyone here with knowledge and proven experience on how to handle this?

If you have any success secrets and wanna keep them private - feel free to shoot me a private message.

Thanks,

DVS

mcornett
04-08-2010, 02:27 PM
You are right, poly sand prevents washouts but it can prevent some weed growth. The problem we have seen is that the sand softens when it becomes wet and will re-harden, leaving room for weeds to break through. You could use a joint stabilizing sealer (JSS) that will stay hard even when the joint sand gets wet. This will do a better job at keeping the weeds to a minimum, just make sure you use a reputable JSS manufacturer.

JoeinJasper
04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
You can tank mix a weed preventer with the RoundUp. Surflan is a good choice, but be aware that it has an orange water soluble dye in it. It will wash off in the next rain.
Also remember that you are required to be licensed to spray pesticides.
Joe

brickpuller
04-08-2010, 06:42 PM
You probably have the best approach with the kill, powerwash and re-sand. The sealer is better than the polysand but both will work about the same for weed control. Once it is done you need to sell the customer on a yearly maintenance program. If pavers are attended to 1 or 2 times a year they will not have weeds that get out of control. We have a separate hardscape mainenance company that does a tremendous amount of work annually. I would be happy to discuss privately if you had any questions. Also don't forget about the paver puller if she has some broken pavers! lol

zedosix
04-09-2010, 12:05 AM
My solution to this problem is to remove the brick in question, scrap off the dirt, reinstall the brick and apply poly sand. Poly sand does not cure the problem unless you are able to fill the complete depth of the joint. 1/2" or so won't cut it.
Have you considered acid washing and sealing the brick?

DVS Hardscaper
04-09-2010, 12:50 AM
hmmmm......do you think the acid would zap the weed seeds and their enzimes?

zedosix
04-09-2010, 09:36 AM

Didn't realize that I had to explain from the beginning that you would remove them first. I took it for granted a man with your knowledge would know that. In fact to me it seems like you just want to start arguments sometimes. Why ask if you are going to crap on people. :hammerhead:

DVS Hardscaper
04-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Didn't realize that I had to explain from the beginning that you would remove them first. I took it for granted a man with your knowledge would know that. In fact to me it seems like you just want to start arguments sometimes. Why ask if you are going to crap on people. :hammerhead:

Andy - I have no idea where your nasty response dervives. I am not crapping on anyone. I know nothing about killing weeds and keeping weeds away. Which is why I am asking.

I am very very busy and have no time for arguments, as you are accusing me of. BUT since YOU brought this to the table, Andy - this is the 2nd time in a couple months where you have posted nasty responses to me without you realizing that I am truely trying to get answers. Within the last few months you also posted a deranged response to another member. I do not know you and I am no doctor, and I have always respected you. However, with nasty responses such as the one quoted above - I am starting to think maybe you have a lot on your plate and could use a rest or vacation. I have on my own free will gone above and beyond and shared much of what I have learned over the years, and Andy, I think I have earned a right to ask questions get clarifications from time to time.

I have 2 people that have called on us to resolve a problem.

It potentially can cost a substancial amount of money to correct the problem. With that said - put yourself in their shoes, Andy.

You just paid thousands of dollars to stabilize an existing patio and rid it of weeds - the last thing you wanna see is weeds poppin through 34 days later. Because Andy, if this happens - guess who they'll be calling and screaming at. ME.

I do thank all those who have offered their thoughts, advice, and experiences. And I do thank those that PMed me offering advice.

Again i want to help these people. And I want piece of mind that if and when we do work for them - they will NOT be disappointed. For me to do so, it may be necessary for me to respond to offered advice with questions, so I have a thorough comprehension.

I welcome all the knowledge anyone here has to offer, and please keep the replies or PMs coming.

brickpuller
04-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Powerwash, dry, polysand and maintain. That's the only way. It shouldn't cost too much, less than a buck a foot if it's a good size. The sealer is a bonus. After your done tell the people to hire you once a year for touch-up and to buy a bottle of round-up. If it's green, kill it before it seeds.

zedosix
04-09-2010, 07:16 PM

Is this a joke or did I take this wrong, guess I took it wrong, sorry Andrew. :)