PDA

View Full Version : gravely hd 2448, scag freedom or snapper pro150

passgas55
04-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Man I am still beating to death this horse:dizzy: about a zero turn. I about ruled out the jd445 and added the freedom and snapper pro to my list.
If I was to stay at the 5k mark the gravely hd 2448 would be my mower. Wished it had greasable spindles. I got to look at the freedom mower and really like how well made they are. Priced at around 5.2k. and again no grease points and I wonder about having a 19hp motor. Now the Snapper pro 150 series was a real nice mower. I guess it can be consider commercial due to having pumps/motors, bigger air filters and it CAN BE GREASED. Also it has a 20 hp engine. Now I wasn't planning on spending 6k but to tell you the truth if I can find the extra grand I may do it. I am planning on cutting at least 2.5 acres with some swells in the property.

I think any of these 3 mowers would be a good choice. I guess i got to mainly decide to spend on the 5k side or the 6k side.

eatonpcat
04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Buy the Gravely.... You will be able to cut your grass for the rest of your life for 5K and pass it on to your kids if you keep up with the maintenance!!!!!!!!!:drinkup:

shotgunshane
04-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

shotgunshane
04-07-2010, 10:20 PM
The spindles on the Gravely HD are heavier duty than the FreedomZ. Many brands are going towards zero maintenance spindles. That wouldn't be a factor to make me spend 1k more. Cast iron versus aluminum and mounting plate thickness would concern me more.
Posted via Mobile Device

betmr
04-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Personally, I have my concerns about Gravely, since the Ariens take over. They have always been really heavy duty machines, in the past. I'm just wondering if it might be like AMF taking over Harley Davidson? Also, I don't know if I would like the idea of sealed spindle bearings? To me, in that harsh enviroment fresh grease seems like a good thing. Are we getting too lazy in our maintenance, for our own good?

shotgunshane
04-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Ariens aquired Gravely in 1982, so I don't think there is anything to worry about there.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaimew
04-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Ariens aquired Gravely in 1982, so I don't think there is anything to worry about there.
Posted via Mobile Device

So are the Ariens ZTRs any good?

northwindtucker
04-08-2010, 04:51 PM
I just bought a Gravely 2010 zt 2660 HD for $4999 (kawasaki fr26) from a local dealer. I looked at the $4999 badboy 60" 27 Kohler courage at TSC, it seemed nice but the nearest actual BB dealer is 90 miles away. Too far away for parts. The JD 465 62" deck was $5200 but the deck seemed a bit weak. We don't have too many other local choices. I am no expert but to me the Gravely won hands down. It is very smooth and quiet. Just got it today. I have to wait until after the rain stops to tell you anymore.

My parents have a Gravely 60in "out front" mower they bought in the late 80's (after Ariens bought them). It still runs and mows as it did 22+ years ago. That was another factor in my decision.

shotgunshane
04-08-2010, 06:06 PM
So are the Ariens ZTRs any good?

Home Depot signed a deal a couple of years ago with Ariens to carry their branded mowers. The Ariens models seem to be almost direct copies of the Gravely mowers. What is a Gravely HD series is an Ariens Max Zoom series. Based on the specs it sounds like the same machine with the same parts. Here is a link to the 60" Max Zoom at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Lawn-Mowers-Riding-Mowers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbbctZ66xhm/R-202045441/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

passgas55
04-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Looking at the spec of the two mowers, gravely hd and snapper pro 150, I have a couple questions. The snapper weighs in at 500# more, 4 hp less and looks like narrower tires than the gravely. Would the snapper with a 20hp motor be under powered as compare to the gravely? Would the narrower tires on the snapper have a tendency to sink? Thanks for your replies.

passgas55
04-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I talked to a Gravely dealer who also sold snapper products. He said he would sell me a snapper zero turn if I really want one but he stopped carry the zero line because of the problems he was having with them. If nothing changes next week I plan on getting a Gravely HD 48" or 52".

shotgunshane
04-11-2010, 10:47 AM
I talked to a Gravely dealer who also sold snapper products. He said he would sell me a snapper zero turn if I really want one but he stopped carry the zero line because of the problems he was having with them. If nothing changes next week I plan on getting a Gravely HD 48" or 52".

The 52" will give you more trim overhang than the 48", which means less weed whacking you'll have to do afterwards.
Posted via Mobile Device

northwindtucker
04-11-2010, 08:58 PM
The 52" will give you more trim overhang than the 48", which means less weed whacking you'll have to do afterwards.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is one reason why I went with the 60" deck. I just finished mowing for the first time with the Gravely HD 60. I am glad that I bought this mower. Good Luck!