PDA

View Full Version : Barricade 65WG application rate...

jglongisland
04-07-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm going to use Barricade for beds this year and possibly lawn as I've got a Dimension barrier now that will probably wear off in early summer depending on rainfall. I'm a homeowner with 6,800 sq. ft. of lawn and 10,000 sq. ft. beds.

Using a solo 4 gallon backpack spreader, I've calibrated it to 1.25 gallons for 1,000 sq. ft. KBG lawn (with some Fine Fescue in shade), beds are perennials and annuals with shrubs/trees. I'm on LI in NY.

I've read the label a few times; should I be using 1 tablespoon per thousand (.37 rate)? If I use 4 tablespoons for 4 gallons I'll end up with 1/3 extra per thousand sq. ft.

On the lawn, crabgrass is no longer my enemy, its all about poa. Last year I got a lot of poa in May/June with the huge rainfalls and even got some in the fall notwithstanding a Dimension app last weekend in August. We had a very warm November and December and I think the Dimension wore off. If I switch to Barricade on the lawns I think I can get year-round coverage.

One app in the beds in the spring will probably make a huge difference, I do all the work myself and spent way too much time weeding the beds last year.

Any help would be appreciated.

jglongisland
04-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Seems like there are a lot of barricade users on the forums applying it in liquid form...

ArTurf
04-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Poa breaking out in May/June doesn't sound right as it is a winter annual. I am in the deep south so our timing is a lot different but my guess is you are not dealing with poa.

jglongisland
04-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Last May/June our weather was like September, about 10-15 degrees below normal and around 20 inches of rain. It was definitely poa. Very unusual as its normally a fall germination, but with the right conditions it can germinate any time up here.

RigglePLC
04-09-2010, 11:59 AM
JG,
So you are using a tablespoon (.5 ounce) of .80 wp or .4 ounce active ingredient per gallon. At 54 gallons per acre that would be 21 ounces per acre. About 1.4 pounds active ingredient per acre.
I am not sure if I understand everything correctly. I think you should be closer to one pound per acre of active ingredient.
John

jglongisland
04-09-2010, 12:38 PM
OK, I'll have to use a bit less. I'll do the math again and adjust to 1 pound per acre equivalent. What do you mean .80 wp, the label says its 65% prodiamine.

jglongisland
04-09-2010, 03:33 PM
At 3 tablespoons for my 4 gallon sprayer I ended up at 1 lb/acre which should give me 5 months of protection.

bx24
04-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Not high jacking thread but I had great luck in MA with Prograss 1.5...POA is gone.

jglongisland
04-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Bx, did you buy an entire jug? Stuff is expensive. Curious, did you do one application last fall?

RigglePLC
04-09-2010, 11:01 PM
JG,
in that case you are correct. If you are using 65 percent Barricade (65 WP), my calculations show you are using about 1.1 lb active ingredient per acre.
Right on. Be sure to apply it evenly, of course.

jglongisland
04-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I used the 3 tablespoon rate this morning, turns out I was pretty well calibrated as I used around 11.75 gallons on roughly 10,000 sq. ft. of beds. I'm watering it in now. Sure wish I had gotten it down a month ago, lots of clover and other broadleafs.

mdlwn1
04-11-2010, 05:56 PM
And I thought it was just me that had a poa explosion....Im 2-3 miles down the road from you. Not that I've tried it or will, but I think you can go up to 1.4lbs AI per acre. And yes another application late summer or so will suppress the poa seeds quite a bit. To the guy who said it's a winter annual.....it seeds...then kinda dies off....then seeds grow...at least 2x per year.

jglongisland
04-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Right now I've only used it for the beds, the lawn got a heavy dose of dimension about a month ago. I've got enough for another application of Dimension which will go down in June, then I'll use Barricade in the fall on the grass and the beds.

mdlwn1
04-11-2010, 06:10 PM
I assume you are aware that you wont be able to do any seeding?

jglongisland
04-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Yep, I'm all KBG now in each section of my yard, so I'm relying on spreading and or plugs on the dead poa patches. I've also got 18 6" pots growing in my basement. Finally got rid of all my perennial rye (last year I renovated the last part of my property).

mdlwn1
04-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I just noticed you put dim down a month ago...I'm just doing my barricade app starting tomorrow throughout the week.....quite the jump you got!