PDA

View Full Version : Dog Pee

maustm
04-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I have not seen much around this topic, so thought i would start a post. I own an american bulldog who likes to leave crop circles in my yard when he takes a whiz. I typically follow him around and water down the spot, but if I don't really want to spend my life chasing my dog with a bucket. Anyone ever found a REAL solution for this? I have a turf company here that sells something called Guard Dog, you spray on the yard that is supposed to help. I am sceptical, never found much that really helps, so thought I would ask.

RugerRedhawk
04-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Wait, why do you have to put water down where your dog pees?

maustm
04-08-2010, 10:08 AM
The nitrogen in the pee pretty much burns out the lawn, so I get yellow spots in the yard if I don't dilute them.

unkownfl
04-08-2010, 10:24 AM
I believe you can buy certain products to add to the dogs water source. Also you can not use nitrogen or as much of it to Fert. the lawn.

RugerRedhawk
04-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I believe you can buy certain products to add to the dogs water source. Also you can not use nitrogen or as much of it to Fert. the lawn.

Here's a detailed analysis. Seems there isn't much of a magic bullet.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/dog_lawn_problems.html

maustm
04-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Good article! Thanks for the reply!

unkownfl
04-08-2010, 10:59 AM
When I get another home to which I can have another dog I will create a dog dookie area with stone/rock fenced in nothing to sharp or small to avoid injury's yet easily able to water such area to reduce smell and visual signs of usage.

GrassStitcher
04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
I have a solution. I'm currently making a how-to video to demonstrate exactly how it works, I will post once complete.

Basically, you can chase your dog around and water the urine to dissipate the ammonium or you can run the Grass Stitcher over the damaged area, it opens up the soil to dissipate the ammonium and also prepares for grass seed. Then, just apply grass seed and keep moist until the seed germinates - fixed.

It's proven - check www.grassstitcher.com sometime in May you will see a very detailed informative video on this process.

RugerRedhawk
04-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I have a solution. I'm currently making a how-to video to demonstrate exactly how it works, I will post once complete.

Basically, you can chase your dog around and water the urine to dissipate the ammonium or you can run the Grass Stitcher over the damaged area, it opens up the soil to dissipate the ammonium and also prepares for grass seed. Then, just apply grass seed and keep moist until the seed germinates - fixed.

It's proven - check www.grassstitcher.com sometime in May you will see a very detailed informative video on this process.

until the grass dies again and you have to repeat the process...

GrassStitcher
04-12-2010, 11:58 AM
until the grass dies again and you have to repeat the process...

True, you'll never stop the damage, but at least you can now fix quickly and easily. Having a dog is maintenance but a small price to pay for the awesome friendship!!!

jnugget
04-24-2010, 10:05 PM
You could try training the dog to pee and poop in a designated area . . .