PDA

View Full Version : Aeration question !

Eaton_mtl
04-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Quick question, Is it benefiacial to aerate grass even if you are not going to be overseeding or ptting anything on the ground.

In other words , Is JUST aerating good for the grass

THx
guys

Etienne :canadaflag:

cozymonkey
04-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Dont mean to be a jerk or anything but google this. There will be way more information on this than you could ever want.

RigglePLC
04-08-2010, 07:44 PM
The only way to tell is to aerate half the yard, and skip the remainder, check it after a month.

Eaton_mtl
04-09-2010, 05:26 PM
I know the proper way to do it is to aerate then to overseed , i did google it.
But my question was more to know from people wh have done it in the past if a simple aeration is better then no aeration if its not followed by overseedin or seeding of any kind.
thank you

SeedPro
04-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Yes. Yes, and Yes.

The way aeration works especially on a lawn that does not have compacted soil is it allows the existing roots to seek out the holes and penetrate deeper, making them stronger. It also then allows these plants to create new plants.

Air, water and nutrient penetration to the root zone is also enhanced especially in clay or compacted soil or lawns with excessive thatch.

Aeration and over seeding is sort of over sold as well. Very few of the seeds will make it into the holes, especially if you have a decent stand of existing grass to begin with.

Regardless of the type of soil you have....aeration is simply the best thing you can do for turf grass.

betmr
04-10-2010, 08:30 AM
It is called aeration, because it helps air to penetrate to the root zone. Roots need air as well as water. That is why areas that are constantly wet, do not grow good crops, the moisture keeps air from reaching the roots. Compacted soil hase basicly the same effect. You can do it, it is beneficial. As it will allow air, water and nutients to penetrate deeper into the root zone.

White Gardens
04-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Yes. Yes, and Yes.

The way aeration works especially on a lawn that does not have compacted soil is it allows the existing roots to seek out the holes and penetrate deeper, making them stronger. It also then allows these plants to create new plants.

Air, water and nutrient penetration to the root zone is also enhanced especially in clay or compacted soil or lawns with excessive thatch.

Aeration and over seeding is sort of over sold as well. Very few of the seeds will make it into the holes, especially if you have a decent stand of existing grass to begin with.

Regardless of the type of soil you have....aeration is simply the best thing you can do for turf grass.

Exactly, and the only thing I would add is that aerations also help on lawns that have a thatch problem. Opening up the thatch layer helps it to break down better. I'd rather aerate than power-rake any day.

Kiril
04-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes. Yes, and Yes.

Awww..... come on man. :dizzy:

Better

I don't agree. Aeration, just like fertilizing, should be done when a need is determined and a clear and definable benefit can be obtained. Fact of the matter is, some soils simply do not need to be aerated.

White Gardens
04-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't agree. Aeration, just like fertilizing, should be done when a need is determined and a clear and definable benefit can be obtained. Fact of the matter is, some soils simply do not need to be aerated.

Aerating/de-thatching became popular in the early eighties when there were grub control products that were killing off earthworms thus taking out the main natural factor that helps relieve all conditions that you would need to justify aerating.

I agree completely that it should be done on a need be basis. 75% of lawns I come across don't need aerating by any stretch of the imagination. Most of the ones that need it are newer home construction, and poor soil quality is the main culprit. Aerating even then is just a band aid, when a total renovation is needed.

Overall environmental practices help alleviate any need for a mechanical device on your lawn.

lawnwerks
04-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Overseeding after aeration does virtually nothing. You will see some new shoots, but you need to do a triple pass to see any real results.

The grass seed hangs up in the thatch layer, does not get good soil contact, and doesn't take. In existing lawns, you should slit seed.

Aeration for the turf is generally a good practice and it will thicken up your grass by cutting underground rhizomes (or surface stolons), creating new shoots.

Kiril
04-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Overseeding after aeration does virtually nothing. You will see some new shoots, but you need to do a triple pass to see any real results.

The grass seed hangs up in the thatch layer, does not get good soil contact, and doesn't take. In existing lawns, you should slit seed.

I don't agree. You shouldn't assume all lawns have a thatch layer. If it does, then you will run into the same seeding problem with a triple pass as you will with a single pass. If a lawn has significant thatch it needs to be dealt with. Typically a vertimow is the best method for significant thatch.

Aeration for the turf is generally a good practice and it will thicken up your grass by cutting underground rhizomes (or surface stolons), creating new shoots.

Not really. Stolons and rhizomes are dependent on the parent plant for carbohydrates. If you cut a stolon or rhizome before it has developed a root system capable of support itself it will die. Cutting these is not going to produce more growth .... if anything it will weaken what is already there. This is why you should only aerate when the turf is actively growing. The more important mechanical factors for stimulating tillering is cutting height and frequency at the right time of year.

SeedPro
04-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Awww..... come on man. :dizzy:

Better

Of course extreme sandy soil doesn't need aerated like a clay soil does but it also depends on whats taking place on the turf. A football field for example, or golf tee boxes and greens with sandy soil need aerated and generally get aerated several times a year because sand especially can become compacted in high traffic areas.

Agape
04-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Kinda true, but why wait till you have a problem before doing something beneficial to a lawn