PDA

View Full Version : Name this bug...

DeepGreenLawn
04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
A customer today called and asked about a little insect that was burrowing holes in her yard. She thought it was a bee. I caught one and took some pictures. They make little ant-type looking mounds in the soil and are everywhere. I found this one swarming with a bunch of others near one of her flower beds.

I would appreciate it if you could tell me what it is.

Thanks,

Think Green
04-08-2010, 08:53 PM
3- segmented insect Head,Abdomen, and a thorax.
Could be a predatory wasp! I believe it is too small to be a cicada killer wasp!

Anyone else's opinion will be accepted.

Think Green
04-08-2010, 09:12 PM
to think of it.........if the abdomen has black and yellow bands it is a cicada killer.
I can't see too well in your photo to tell much!

Victor
04-08-2010, 09:22 PM
It's too small to be a Cicada Killer. Cicada Killers are HUGE! I'd say it IS a small Wasp of some sort though.

DeepGreenLawn
04-08-2010, 09:43 PM
I never noticed any stingers. The head was small like an ant, the abdoment was large and "humpbacked" and the thorax was long, narrow, and black. Almost flat. It never showed any aggression with the ones I caught and messed with and the customer said they cut the grass and they swarmed but never attacked. I looked REALLY close at it just after I caught it when it still had its witts about it and I never noticed any biting (like an ant) or any stingers. And they were so small my first thought was they were more like a nat. The holes they dug were smaller than a pencil and normally the mounds are made of small "balls" of soil. Not like an ant hill where it is a more dust appearance.

Thanks for the help.

DeepGreenLawn
04-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't remember any markings. The yellowish strip you see in the one picture is its leg. The body from what I remember was solid black.

Think Green
04-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Winged-ants
Swarming in search for new hives and relocating the family

Think Green
04-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Scoliid wasp is prospective.
It is a green June bug killer and grub killer!
I may be way off considering the actual sizes of the insect, but with it being black and winged, it is possible.

kenneth meals
04-08-2010, 10:24 PM
To me with it's size seems to be a Midge.

DeepGreenLawn
04-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Think green and kenneth...

I really appreciate your thoughts but unfortunately I don't think either is correct. It had the head of an ant but that was the only thing in similarity. The picture in kenneths is very close but off on it's proportions and color. It also didn't have those long antennas on it. the thorax stopped where this one curves up. I will look at some more pics of this to be sure. But keep the thoughts coming.

kenneth meals
04-09-2010, 01:32 AM
But what makes it harder is many species have different sub species, this is another midge. But I'm still looking at other insects too. And one question where they were found is there ponds or slow moving streams near by?

DeepGreenLawn
04-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Not exactly. Allatoona lake, a real lake, is about a half mile as the crow flies but I doubt that is what you mean by "near by". This was located on about a 5k sq ft front yard, along a pinestraw flower bed and near the road. No ponds, water features, or even birdbaths in viewing range.

That is pretty close there, however the head was a little bigger and the thorax a little thinner. Good job.

DeepGreenLawn
04-09-2010, 06:42 AM
What affect do these little guys have on the landscape? I see there are some that bite but most don't. Do they hurt the plants at all or are they just a nuisance like nats?

IRS
04-10-2010, 08:20 AM
You might want to go to Univars web site pestweb. Earlier this week there was a question about digger wasp I Have encountered them in my pest control business here in So Ga, more of a nuisance than any thing

mgm
04-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Trichogramma Egg Wasps -Trichogramma sp ?????
www.buglogical.com/trichogramma_control_armyWorms/trichogramma.asp

kenneth meals
04-12-2010, 12:36 AM
If it is a type of Midge some of them are biting as you said and some feed off of plants only. I ran across some pictures of them eating tree leaves and another type attacking flowers.

tremor
04-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Our Cluster Flies look sorta like this.

kenneth meals
04-12-2010, 08:52 AM
I don't think I'd be a cluster fly.

DeepGreenLawn
04-12-2010, 09:25 PM
The midge has been the closest thing to it. I was cutting my own yard today and had a swarm around my driveway. These were about 5 times the size as the ones my customer was complaining about. They never bothered me... just a nuisance.