PDA

View Full Version : Wild Onion

LawnoftheMonth
04-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Some yards here get it, some yards dont. Are there any contributing factors that this weed favors?

RigglePLC
04-09-2010, 12:10 PM
I suspect thin grass in late summer and fall and the following spring, results in a lot more weeds. Wild onion thrives when your Bermuda is dormant. Remember wild onion comes up mostly from bulbs in the ground. May times it is a result of contaminated top soil. Not likely it has a chance to go to seed. Use a surfactant in you weed spray to help wet it. Hit it in the fall if you see it. It does not seem to persist past a couple of mowings up around here--not sure in your climate.

rlitman
04-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Mine "looked" like it didn't make it past one mowing, but that was just because it blended in pretty well with the grass. Every time I mowed in that spot, it had an onion smell.

This spring, right after the snow melted, the onions were already starting to grow, and I spot sprayed them with amine 2,4D with a sticker spreader.

They have a seriously waxy surface that sheds water, so if you just spray them, it rolls off. I used a broom handle to "smack" them around, and the beating/bruising helped them absorb the chemical. After about a month, they started losing color from the ground up. Right now, they're barely green at the tips and yellow to white at the ground.

The only issue, was I missed the onions that started growing later. Maybe I'll get them next year.

LawnoftheMonth
04-09-2010, 06:11 PM
The strange thing is that it is all over a lawn that is in very good shape, dense, no stressed areas. Just wondering because it's not in any of his neighbors lawns, only his.

CHARLES CUE
04-09-2010, 08:58 PM
use a 3 way and surfant that removes the waxy coating and the will die and turn white in a couple days
Charles Cue

americanlawn
04-09-2010, 09:44 PM
We had a few in back when we first moved in. I picked them and put 'em on a pizza. Any stragglers didn't last long with regular mowing. Same goes with wild garlic. My 2 cents.

Think Green
04-09-2010, 10:15 PM
My teens picked the tops off of about 20 clumps and we grilled some steak with wild onion on top. What a great taste!!!!!

Blanket spray the lawn if possible after cutting the onions with the mower. Allow a couple of days of regrowth as the new shoots will be tender and less covered with wax as the more hardened stalks. Use a surfactant with the 3-way or 2-4D it will make a difference.
Cutting them with the mower is just hiding their existence. They will spread by bulb unions and come back year after year.
I have found that wild onions do come from contaminated soils or are uncovered from torrential rainy seasons. They lay dormant until the right temps and conditions to grow.

Turfdoctor1
04-09-2010, 10:24 PM
I suspect thin grass in late summer and fall and the following spring, results in a lot more weeds. Wild onion thrives when your Bermuda is dormant. Remember wild onion comes up mostly from bulbs in the ground. May times it is a result of contaminated top soil. Not likely it has a chance to go to seed. Use a surfactant in you weed spray to help wet it. Hit it in the fall if you see it. It does not seem to persist past a couple of mowings up around here--not sure in your climate.

I agree about the contaminated soil. I have a neighborhood with about eight 1.5 acre lawns. Some have no onion, one has ridiculously covered, or was. They come back year after year. Nothing I can do about it, but explain to the customer that they cannot be prevented. As others have said, mow em, let em grow for 2 days, spray with good sticker.

The best thing you can spray is manor. It'll knock them out great. But, I can't afford that.

Think Green
04-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Turf,
I haven't priced Metsulfuron.................how much is it in your area??
I won't even touch some of the higher priced products as it can be out of the prospects of our service plans.
I had 4 calls today with lawns that are completely pimpled with wild onions. I know that it is not a one shot treatment and the customer shies away from the multiple cost applications.

LawnoftheMonth
04-09-2010, 10:53 PM
I sprayed them with celsius the other day, my trimec southern(2-4d) does nothing to them. The celcius worked on the ones I had in my lawn a few weeks ago. Normally they dont last long enough here to be concerned with, it's just been very cool lately and they are lingering since the grass isnt growing and people arent mowing much.

Thanks for your thoughts! It just bothers me that only one yard has them, and none of his neighbors have any at all (some are my customers, some arent), all houses were built at the same time, on the same soil. I know the wild onions wont last long, my customer is just bummed, thinking he did something wrong.

ArTurf
04-10-2010, 07:59 AM
I haven't had good success with 3-way. I have found Metsulforon much cheaper at my feed/farm store. Same formulation, way cheaper.

betmr
04-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Chaser at high rate, worked for me. They turned an awesome white color as they fell over and croked.

CHARLES CUE
04-10-2010, 09:07 PM
You cant kill them with water and 3 way go out with a spray bottle with water in it and spray them the water will bead up and roll off you have to remove the wax for the herbicide to get into the plant
Charles Cue

Turfdoctor1
04-10-2010, 10:12 PM
I haven't had good success with 3-way. I have found Metsulforon much cheaper at my feed/farm store. Same formulation, way cheaper.

it's because it's ag grade.

better not let the Plant board read this post.

Turfdoctor1
04-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Turf,
I won't even touch some of the higher priced products as it can be out of the prospects of our service plans.
I had 4 calls today with lawns that are completely pimpled with wild onions. I know that it is not a one shot treatment and the customer shies away from the multiple cost applications.

I honestly don't know. haven't bought any in quite a while, and I can't remember.

I know it was more expensive that what is affordable within the normal framework of my pricing.

ted putnam
04-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Turf,

Metsulfuron isn't cheap .I keep it on hand because I use it for buttonweed, bahia and foxtail control exclusively. For severe onion problems, I'll mix up the backpack with metsulfuron and spike it with triclopyr. Image is another option. Of course, don't use it in the Spring or Fall transition. It will kill the grass. When I worked for Chemlawn years ago, we called these areas Spring Dead Spot...:laugh:

Whitey4
04-10-2010, 10:49 PM
I dig them out. Sucks, but it works. Never had a really bad case of it on a lawn, never more than say 10 clumps or so.

ted putnam
04-10-2010, 11:03 PM
I dig them out. Sucks, but it works. Never had a really bad case of it on a lawn, never more than say 10 clumps or so.

WHITEY!!! You're alive!! Good to see you post:) Last time I saw anything from you, you had some foot problems or something. Glad to see you're still around. Onions can be bad in this area. I've heard some of the old timers say the Indians would gather them around here as a food source. Sometimes they're just bad in certain locations and sometimes they come in from the sod farms. The sod farms will wait to cut the areas infested with onions until the onions have gone dormant because they don't want to spend the money to treat them.

betmr
04-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Chaser with surfactant.

tremor
04-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Nufarm's Cool-Power smokes Wild Onions/Garlic. Timed when onions are young ie most aren't spraying.

Compacted, moist or grub weekened turf seems most prone.

ArTurf
04-12-2010, 10:51 AM
it's because it's ag grade.

better not let the Plant board read this post.

Turfdoctor

Looking at the label it would seem to be the same chemically. What is the difference? Not disagreeing just want to know, I don't want to use something that is not up to spec.

Ted,
When you tank mix metsulforon in a backpack how much chem/gal do you mix? I am told it will lose its effectiveness if not used within 24 hours. Your thoughts?

44DCNF
04-12-2010, 12:40 PM

Me too. I find a four inch blade reaches just past the bulbs in most all cases....cut a circle around the clump, pry and extract, fill with divot mix.

Turfdoctor1
04-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Turfdoctor

Looking at the label it would seem to be the same chemically. What is the difference? Not disagreeing just want to know, I don't want to use something that is not up to spec.

Ted,
When you tank mix metsulforon in a backpack how much chem/gal do you mix? I am told it will lose its effectiveness if not used within 24 hours. Your thoughts?

You are right, it is the same chemically. exact same ai, etc., but if it is 10 X's cheaper, it is the ag label, which is illegal to spray on commercial or residential turf. Yes, it is an absolute rip off.

I know Cimarron is an Ag label, not sure of any others.

Mary Henderson
04-13-2010, 12:22 AM
Wild onions reproduce by vegetative means due rhizomes-underground creeping stems, runners on the surface, creeping roots or tubers-underground. Probably, the other yards do not have these. Aside from using chemical control using herbicides, crop rotation and tillage might control its growth.

ted putnam
04-13-2010, 01:21 AM
Turfdoctor

Ted,

It came with a measuring tube. If I'm not mistaken I mix at .0125 oz/gal. I typically will use a 3 gal backpack/day. I almost always have a little carryover to the next day. Never had a problem.

When metsulfuron first came out it was called Scotts DMC. Every Tom, Dick and Harry has a version out now. Turfdoctor is right. There's ag versions of many of the same products we use. No difference except the label. I'm all for the label being the law but on some things it's a little ridiculous. Everything the same except one is not labeled for residential turf. That part is a SCAM. I think they believe we're making money hand over fist and should have to pay more than the farmers do.

Whitey4
04-14-2010, 06:56 AM
WHITEY!!! You're alive!! Good to see you post:) Last time I saw anything from you, you had some foot problems or something. Glad to see you're still around. Onions can be bad in this area. I've heard some of the old timers say the Indians would gather them around here as a food source. Sometimes they're just bad in certain locations and sometimes they come in from the sod farms. The sod farms will wait to cut the areas infested with onions until the onions have gone dormant because they don't want to spend the money to treat them.

LOL, yea, I'm still kickin. Had some issues with blood blisters, HUGE ones on my feet. The last scab didn't fall off until early freakin March! This year so far, so good. The biz is still growing with no advertising. I'm getting more landscaping design work now too, and lots of lawn reno's, including some sod jobs. I may not be able to take on any more new customers.

Back on topic, I've seen wild onions survive 3 rounds of Roundup Pro. This was during a lawn renovation. I suppose there might have been some that just hadn't emerged yet, and that's what I'm seeing now, but I've painted them with gly in turf, and still they came back as well. Now, I just dig them up instead.