PDA

View Full Version : pricing

steel05
04-08-2010, 11:26 PM
A customer wants a quote on checking her lighting. I'm assuming angles, bulbs, etc. My question is how do I price this? I'm new to lighting. I was just curious how others quote something like this. Thanks for your time.

sal rodriguez
04-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Best would be T & M.

NightScenes
04-08-2010, 11:50 PM
I agree, never give a price for something that you're not sure of.

Pro-Scapes
04-09-2010, 12:07 AM
I agree too. If you did not install it and have no idea whats going on with it then it needs to be time plus materials. I would bill it as a service call which includes arrival and the first hour of labor plus materials. If it takes longer than an hour it is billed in 15 min incriments plus materials.

David Gretzmier
04-09-2010, 11:16 PM
It may be different where you are than here, but I have never been called in on a system that was installed properly by any shape or fashion. I only have one competitor here locally that does good landscape lighting work, and I have never been behind him on his systems.

So I go to all repair jobs and I find the same thing- trans is usually over loaded and no longer puts out voltage properly. voltage at fixtures is usually very low, mainly because connections are usually compromised, corrosion is rampant not only in the wire but the leads to the fixtures. many times the sockets have never been greased, and the pins from the mr-16's or bi pins have rotted off in the sockets. lenses are clouded over to the point CLR won't even get it off. So while I have went through and rebuilt fixtures with new sockets, o-rings, rebulbed, re-wired and replaced transformers, it is by far better to just replace it all. Time wise it is quicker. but on repair jobs, most folks are thinking a few hundred dollars not a few thousand. I have converted many of them to full new systems, but I'd say it is about half and half.

sal rodriguez
04-09-2010, 11:39 PM
It may be different where you are than here, but I have never been called in on a system that was installed properly by any shape or fashion. I only have one competitor here locally that does good landscape lighting work, and I have never been behind him on his systems.

So I go to all repair jobs and I find the same thing- trans is usually over loaded and no longer puts out voltage properly. voltage at fixtures is usually very low, mainly because connections are usually compromised, corrosion is rampant not only in the wire but the leads to the fixtures. many times the sockets have never been greased, and the pins from the mr-16's or bi pins have rotted off in the sockets. lenses are clouded over to the point CLR won't even get it off. So while I have went through and rebuilt fixtures with new sockets, o-rings, rebulbed, re-wired and replaced transformers, it is by far better to just replace it all. Time wise it is quicker. but on repair jobs, most folks are thinking a few hundred dollars not a few thousand. I have converted many of them to full new systems, but I'd say it is about half and half.

all true and very sad. This is what has kept this business in the ice ages and from legitimacy. We all speak about this so called race to the bottom but what are we doing about it? We certainly are not helping the cause by supporting those manufacturers and distributors who crank out these contractors who have no clue. They either do this by pumping them up in a 2 hr seminar or by selling them cheap problematic fixtures and transformers that do not last.

some are going to say that it's good for business to have all these failed lights out there. More business . I say phooey. It hurts everyone when stuff fails and they can't be repaired but must be replaced.

People who are dissatisfied talk to more people than those that are satisfied.

David Gretzmier
04-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but most repair jobs don't look like someone even went to a 2 hour seminar. I know the one that FX does at our local Ewing irrigation distributor, they tell folks how to use the taps, where to set the load for zones and how to use the hub system. they tell folks to grease the O-rings, grease the sockets, and use waterproof connectors. They tell folks what voltages should be at the fixtures. I have been to both the beginner and advanced, and although thier were dozens of folks there, I am not so sure they listened, so I am pretty sure they are there just for the free lunch.

Pro-Scapes
04-10-2010, 07:53 PM
And you feel someone is going to absorb that mass amount of technical information in 2 hours ? To teach someone properly you would need 2 hours just to teach them ohms law hands on with a mock up and a meter.

David Gretzmier
04-12-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm not asking folks to absorb it, but at least take the materials home and use them on installs. I can handle folks getting the creative side of this biz wrong because of inexperience. but voltage drop is pretty well textbook.