-though i never thought any regular pg was hard to steer. but the
side effects of this system are that
1. the machine wants to turn all the way- left or right
2.it is more difficult to pull out of a turning manuver
3. machine tends to spin the inside tire when turning
4. not relevant to smartsteer, but this machine has a longer wheel
base than previous PGs, and thus a larger turning radius

i may try to disconnect this system, which is basically cable operated
band brakes on the inside of each front tire.

WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION & HANDLING
obviously looking at the rig , the weight has been moved back and lowered.
the plus
1. down hill performance is alot more stable
2. side slope performance is more stable
3. machine is not tippy

cons
1. alot of weight has been moved off of the front drive tires
2. up hill traction is not good (i have trouble getting up my trailer ramp door)
3. tires are more prone to spinning or turfing (likely contributes to smartsteer issue#3)

BRAKING
there is the band brakes on the sulky, and a band brake on the tranny
all pluses here, system works great, stops going up or down hill, front brakes will not lock up, there are locks on the brake levers- use as parking brake, no more foot brake- i gotta get used to that.

SPREADER / HOPPER
pluses
1. size, it holds 3 bags of most products- 150 lbs.
2. double sided spinner plate/impeller (last twice as long)
3.new stronger agitator mechanism (does full circles in hopper, like spyker)
4.better spread pattern, achieves 13-14 feet, and is more even on left and right sides, its not heavy and short on left and thin and long on right
5.3rd hole shut off- cuts product on rt sided- for deflector use
6. 3rd hole shut off locking adjustment, basically a plastic stopper you use to
set your spread pattern
7. heavy duty stainless cable for hopper shut off plate(similar to zspray cables)
8. hopper is easier to scoop out with a dustpan or cup
9. improved deflector, its a cable operated fold down stainless flap(similar to t3000)
10. impeller is secured to shaft with a band clamp, no more roll pins or cotters

cons
1.you cannot run the hopper empty, there is a large flat area at the bottom of the hopper, and the product will stop coming out when you have 5-6 lbs of material left in the hopper, when you get low on material the agitator actually throws the prills away from the spread holes
2.the impeller and agitator is only spinning when the machine is moving or motor is revved up- the problem is that it takes a moment for the material
to start flowing when you open the shut off plate, and it takes another moment for all holes to start flowing and your pattern to equalize. this is more a problem when starting from a stop and from slow turns and manuvers
3. no adjustment for the left side pattern hole- although i had no issues with
the left pattern, i noticed from the factory the opening for the left side hole is slightly larger than the center. most 3 hole hoppers ive owned i have had to slightly increase the size of the left side hole to get a correct spread.

issue 1 is more annoyance than anything, but issue 2 is more serious and i will need to modify or make changes to something here

SPRAYING SYSTEM
not much to report here yet- gregsonclark is getting me some parts to add
an adjustable pressure reg and a gauge, i may also reroute the return lines to the tanks, factory output is 39 oz/k high gear, pump is always going when machine is moving or revved up, not going when machine is stopped or idling.

SOME OTHER NOTES
- gas tank is pretty easy to fill - dosnt look it though
- exhaust is hot on operator
- tanks must both be filled, they are connected but equallize VERY slowly
- controls are all easily reachable on handle bars
-handle bar fold down - locks in the down postion ( i dont like this)
-nozzle on squeeze n spray bottle is useless- it produces mist

RigglePLC
04-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks JB. very detailed, good information. Let us know your impressions after a couple of months, OK?
Do you mean the pump is pumping--even if you are only spreading dry product for the month?

TLS
04-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Great review!

I believe the fact that you skipped a generation Ultra-Magnum-Triumph that some of your pros/cons are not really different from a Magnum to Triumph as they are from you going from an Ultra right to a Triumph.

Do you have pictures? I really haven't been LOOKING for Triumph pics, but haven't seen any either. The drawings on the PG website are as horrible as they've always been.

If they'd add a limited slip differential, I'd be real happy. Spinning inside tire in a sharp upward turn is a real PITA.

jbturf
04-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks JB. very detailed, good information. Let us know your impressions after a couple of months, OK?
Do you mean the pump is pumping--even if you are only spreading dry product for the month?

yes, the pump is always going when the machine is moving

another big dissapointment, the rate control adjustment for the spreader.
the little gauge sticker is completely useless, there is no pointer
on the gauge. so you cannot calibrate the machine and use a number
as a reference. hopefully pg will have a fix for this, the setup they provide is
truely useless.

i wish they would ditch the peerless gear axle, and start using a hydro
drive axle- would be alot smoother and the accessories would be running
all the time, fixing some issues

grassman177
04-09-2010, 08:15 PM
sounds like another good thread stating why no one should be a pg to me

TLS
04-09-2010, 09:12 PM
My pump is always running on my Magnum. This is nothing new.

They're not perfect (not many machines are), but they really did their homework with the Magnum.

jbturf
04-09-2010, 10:16 PM
your right TLS,
none are perfect or suit every application,
i have tried other makes and models with varying success

i think after a few tweeks and modifications, this new pg
will suit my needs just fine

grassman177
04-10-2010, 12:08 AM
i have never felt a need to tweak anything b4 with our machines, but then again, they are cutsom built already just for me. one thing i never knew is the pump running all the time, that cant be good, what if you are never using it to spray, and spreading only. is there any kind of off or is it all bl;et driven?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-10-2010, 12:37 AM
A fair bit of cons in this review for a brand spankin new machine.....

jbturf
04-10-2010, 09:05 AM
DA, yah there are alot of negatives, but id say an equal number of
positives or improvements.
if i had posted a thread like this about the zspray i owned, the cons
would have been even longer. but thats not the point of this post.

there is very little info available on this new pg, so i thought id shed
some light on it for those interested.
Josh

TLS
04-10-2010, 09:07 AM
i have never felt a need to tweak anything b4 with our machines, but then again, they are cutsom built already just for me. one thing i never knew is the pump running all the time, that cant be good, what if you are never using it to spray, and spreading only. is there any kind of off or is it all bl;et driven?

I guess you COULD bypass the pumps' pulley with a shorter belt, but way too much of a hassle to me. It's really not an issue. There are lots of guys just spreading w/o spraying.

This is a magnum, they don't have diagrams of the Triumph.
http://www.permagreen.com/images/magnum/cutaway_800.jpg

corbster
04-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Great review!

I believe the fact that you skipped a generation Ultra-Magnum-Triumph that some of your pros/cons are not really different from a Magnum to Triumph as they are from you going from an Ultra right to a Triumph.

Do you have pictures? I really haven't been LOOKING for Triumph pics, but haven't seen any either. The drawings on the PG website are as horrible as they've always been.

If they'd add a limited slip differential, I'd be real happy. Spinning inside tire in a sharp upward turn is a real PITA.

I seen one (Triumph) today at JDL but didn't test it. ... they want 7200.00 for it. What kind of money do they want for the Z and the T3000 ????? Anyone !!!!

CHARLES CUE
04-10-2010, 09:36 PM
So how does the PG do going up hill does it have enough power or does it realy slow down just askin
Charles Cue

TLS
04-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Engine HP wise it does fine. It's geared properly, and never really bogs down at all. Uphill TRACTION is another story. Depending on the hill, your attack angle, and if your hopper/tank is full/empty all come into play. If I start spinning, I retract the handles and give it some help (relieve it from pulling MY 200lbs up the hill!) and up it goes.

Really STEEP downhills can be scary with a full hopper load and empty tank! You HAVE to be on the back and pull all your weight back to keep it from doing an endo!

jbturf
04-11-2010, 11:46 AM
ok so i made a couple of mods,
1st- the agitator in the hopper
its basically one arm or prong that rotates around in a circle
i added another arm pointing the other way
i havent tries it yet,
ill post back monday

2nd, for uphill traction
i added a weight bar on the front of the machine,
mounted right on the front bumper- about 30 lbs

i tested this and it made a significant improvement
going up a grassy slope, i can also now go up my
trailer ramp door without spinning tire

also,i would agree it seems to have enough power to go up a good slope,
but it is maxed out- you can hear the motor working hard

a plus bob
04-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I seen one (Triumph) today at JDL but didn't test it. ... they want 7200.00 for it. What kind of money do they want for the Z and the T3000 ????? Anyone !!!!

Corbster I think its a $400 dollar difference in a triumph and Z.And a whole lot of difference in quality and value :) Are you spraying yet ??

DUSTYCEDAR
04-11-2010, 03:57 PM
thanks for the info i saw the price tag and choked
a 2 grand pirce hike was a bit stiff
i keep a little water in the tank at all times to keep the pump lubed up
lets see some pics

corbster
04-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Corbster I think its a $400 dollar difference in a triumph and Z.And a whole lot of difference in quality and value :) Are you spraying yet ??

No .... I'll send you an IM or call you if you have time tomorrow night .

corbster
04-11-2010, 07:52 PM
thanks for the info i saw the price tag and choked
a 2 grand pirce hike was a bit stiff
i keep a little water in the tank at all times to keep the pump lubed up
lets see some pics

I found this on the internet that isn't a drawing. I should of taken picture of the one at JDL the other day. This is the Triumph.

http://www.earthserviceandsupply.com/graphics/Permagreen%20Photo.png

jbturf
04-13-2010, 08:28 AM
so the traction is great now, zipped right up a bunch of slopes yesterday

spread output(at turn on) is a little better with the different agitator, its about
1 1/2" above the holes in the hopper, im gonna try lowering closer to the
holes- see if that makes it better
i mounted it backwards and it helps when i get low on product in hopper,
it swirls like a vertex over the holes now, instead of just throwing the fert
to the sides of the hopper

jbturf
05-07-2010, 07:28 AM
update,
had 1st minor breakdown yesterday
tensioner spring for the drive belt flew off
i found the spring in the lawn i was on, and
rebent the end of it and put it back on-
its a poor design- it just hangs over a small screw head
on one end and its a very light duty spring. the motor
shakes around considerably when running- due to it being
mounted on a rubber suspension plate- so im not surprised
it happened

im running a combo fert + dimension product now,
it keeps caking up under the agitator in the hopper.
i have to chisel it out after every few lawns- as the product stops
flowing. this is getting old. the agitator is much to blame for
this, its a sharp curved blade like piece of metal spinning around
pretty fast. PG does have some sort of updated agitator- but im still
waiting to recieve it.

the hopper design/ shape is horrible- the worst i have ever used.
if im on a relatively flat smooth lawn (no bumps n dips) there will
be up to 25-30 lbs of product that will not flow out(im not joking). it just sits in the bottom of the hopper to the sides of the holes and piles up the sides.
on a bumpy lawn i can get all but 5-10 lbs of product out.

and another hopper issue
the shut off plate mechanism
its similar to lesco, as it rotates to open and expose the holes.
the problem is that the center mounting point/pivot point of the
shut off plate has play in it. so its not a problem till you get a little
bit of fert dust build up down there--the plate will not open enough to
the point you set it at--its just sloping around on its center mounting
point instead---i have to contact PG about this

spray system is ok, im getting 41 oz per K (calibrated)
so this is good, i wanted 1/3 gal / K
but im still not a huge fan of the mechan pump and
spray lever, its not good for spot treating during an app-
i liked the spray system on my ultra and z spray better
but couple of good things
1. its always bypass agitating when driving
2. handling isnt terribly effected by full tanks

im starting to feel PG released this machine prematurely

jbturf
05-19-2010, 09:46 AM
so i got a couple of update parts,(thanks to rep at jdl for helping- pg is slow)

1. a new agitator assy- this has been working good so far, and much less clumping
or bridging as PG likes to call it

2. frame caps (as dubbed by pg)-- basically just some sticky back aluminum sheet like dynomat, meant to wrap over the front exposed portion of the frame-
the frame basically forms a shelf right under the front of the spreader, and fert was building up on these frame shelfs and falling off on bumps and sharp turns.
this has relieved this problem

3.spray shield - to keep spray mist from nozzles from blowing back onto hood and spreader mechanism, to help prevent sticky fert build up-- they also say to wax the
hood area and other parts.
i did not use this, as the weight bar i made is pretty much identical in shape and location
and is serving the same function-- i did wax though- might help slightly, i would probably have to start waxing it every friday after washing it- dont know that i will keep up with that

i do like the machine better now- it is not perfect and i still have a couple issues to work out--but its getting there
im getting a good workout running the machine though, it defineately tougher to steer
than my ultra was- but hey , i can use a little xtra workout running a ride on

weed kill has been suprisingly good thus far, im running lesco redzone at the low rate

pg did send me 2 new springs -warrantee

Josh

Rayholio
05-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Great updates...

How many hours do you have on the machine at this point?

And are you happy with the upgrade? or do you wish that you would have baught one like the last one you had?

jbturf
05-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Ray,
thanks, not as good as some of your reviews- but
good enough to give an idea, though not many on here admit it,
some people do still use/buy PG's

anyway just hit 90 hours tuesday, had it for 5 or 6 weeks

Rayholio
05-19-2010, 01:32 PM
You bet! lots of people use PG.. I'd say it's most peoples 1st machine due to the price point... I hear that they're high maintenance.. but never really seen an instance by instance account of it, until now.. really doesn't seem that bad yet. :)

You must really have a lot of work! my machine is about 16 months old, and only has like 220 hours on it.

Keep 'em comin'!

jbturf
05-19-2010, 06:25 PM
you bet- i get some use outa my ride ons,
ive spread 18 ton of material so far this season, and
14 alone outa the new pg

sweetjetskier
05-19-2010, 09:14 PM

I think you meant that " I:dancing: saw one ( Triumph ) today at JDL, not I seen one...........

indyturf
05-19-2010, 09:24 PM
90 hrs already! your gonna get the most out of the 1 years or 500 hr warranty. hope you have good luck. PG still has its place, I use mine everyday. I hear some guys say they never see PG's anymore?? I would say 8 out of 10 ride-on's I see are PG's and the other 2 are Z's. and have never seen a T around here but I do see many more people using ride-on's than a few years ago.

corbster
05-19-2010, 09:41 PM
I think you meant that " I:dancing: saw one ( Triumph ) today at JDL, not I seen one...........

WOW ....but

Many people tend to misuse saw and seen, using seen when they should use saw. Use saw for the simple past tense, use seen for the present perfect and past perfect tenses. (forms of to see) ....NUFF SAID ....
Thank You and I hope you have a better day tomorrow ...:p:p

jbturf
05-24-2010, 10:32 PM
i could use a little help,
PG was sputtering on me a couple times thur-friday last week
today it sputtered worse at times and died - shut right off several times, and took a minute or 2 to get started again, kinda seemed like it was losing spark - but im not sure.

ive done 2 oil changes on it and cleaned the prefilter,per the manual and checked the spark plug- it looked fine. i took the carb off to inspect/ clean it today- but it was clean as a whistle inside, jets clean, bowl clean, float fine
so it doesnt seem to be a fuel issue

any ideas what to check?
its the honda gx200 motor, i think the same as on the magnum pg

indyturf
05-24-2010, 10:52 PM
did you check the neutral safety switch? I have always had problems with them shorting out after a while. I just disconnect them.

NattyLawn
05-24-2010, 11:04 PM
i could use a little help,
PG was sputtering on me a couple times thur-friday last week
today it sputtered worse at times and died - shut right off several times, and took a minute or 2 to get started again, kinda seemed like it was losing spark - but im not sure.

ive done 2 oil changes on it and cleaned the prefilter,per the manual and checked the spark plug- it looked fine. i took the carb off to inspect/ clean it today- but it was clean as a whistle inside, jets clean, bowl clean, float fine
so it doesnt seem to be a fuel issue

any ideas what to check?
its the honda gx200 motor, i think the same as on the magnum pg

Might be stupid, but is the gas cap venting?

indyturf
05-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Might be stupid, but is the gas cap venting?

Yep, I had that happen too! vent hole fills with fert dust...

RigglePLC
05-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Check spark after dark. A good spark voltage will arc across to ground from about 3/4th inch away. Be sure--change the spark plug.
Change or add a fuel filter. Check the acceleration, does it hesitate or fail to dig in and climb hills--starving for fuel. Exhaust black--excess fuel.
And check any wires for shorts or corrosion--fertilizer and humidity are very tough on wires. Good advice, Indy.

kbrashears
05-25-2010, 01:41 PM
I learned this lesson a long time ago:

Every year, change your spark plugs and fuel filters in every small engine you own (that has fuel filters).

Dump all mix gas that you haven't used up in 1 month.

sweetjetskier
05-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Check the oil alert sensor, I have had them act up and give the same syptoms as you stated.

If you unplug it and runs fine,it is probably the sensor.
Posted via Mobile Device

jbturf
05-25-2010, 09:44 PM
thanks for the replies,
it did not act up or stall today

so, i dont know- maybe there was a small piece of crud in the carb jet
that i cleaned out.
i did just get some update and info from PG, and one of the things they list
for motor running rough is the fuel cap not venting. and they list an updated part
# for it--not sure though, i checked it this morning after reading your replies and it
looked clean

they also had a bulletin on the tensioner spring that flew off on mine
and another bulletin on the hopper shut off plate issue i was complaining of

at least there aware of some issues and trying to fix them

I gotta say -Damn, this PG is hot to run on a hot day,

ill keep posted on the motor issue
thanks for the help

CHARLES CUE
05-25-2010, 10:13 PM
If it was the cap not venting than losen the cap and see what happens to me it sounds like water in gas do you have to choke it to get it started again just one little drop in a passage way wont let gas go threw you suck it out with the choke closed
Charles Cue

jbturf
05-28-2010, 09:52 PM
u guys r good- pretty sure its the gas cap,
PG had a bulletin about some bad or wrong caps.
supposedly my motor came with a cap meant for a
CA model motor, or some junk like that. at any rate
a new cap will be coming

jbturf
06-25-2010, 09:04 PM
140 hrs,
all is good with new gas cap, in the mean time i tossed the cap on from my aerator- it ran fine

no other issues

weed control has been surpringly good, all the new weedy customers i blanket sprayed with the PG- were all clean when i went back for rnd 2- i must admit i was shocked

jbturf
07-12-2010, 07:50 PM
158 hours
well trouble today, the right side handle bar snapped right off in my hand today,
the good is that i was on my last lawn of the day and i was just turning making the very last pass- good timing at least

and i guess PG just released a bulletin about this today, i contacted my jdl dealer
and he just got the bulletin this morning, aparently the bar is severely weakened in the spot they machined it to fit a C-clip to secure it,
so im stuck waiting for them to ship me a new bar- its unusable until then
bummer

jbturf
07-15-2012, 10:49 PM
forgot bout this post, haha,

anyways
920 hrs

original pump just went finally, was still pumping fine, but
output dropped from 41 oz to 39 oz/k the past couple months

it started leaking right outa the case of the pump housing- are these rebuildable?

it says flojet and some #s on pump, but i couldnt find it on flojet website

PG never did send me a new gas cap, so my aerator cap is still on it,