PDA

View Full Version : How is everyones year going?

RABBITMAN11
04-09-2010, 10:36 PM
I have definately seen a big improvement over last year. Hope I keep this pace for awhile longer!
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnoftheMonth
04-09-2010, 11:01 PM
It's all good here, busy as heck. Normally I do a lot of doorhangers when I'm out and about (programmed by TG, lol) but I havent had time to drop a single door hanger yet this year. My phone is ringing left and right, knock on wood.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Season started 3 weeks early. Have already booked revenue that I ordinarily wouldn't see for weeks. Last season at this time, I was not even getting calls yet.

Thank you early spring warm up!

indyturf
04-10-2010, 12:32 AM
already picked up over 50 new customers including 2 huge condo accounts.
With the dandelions's popping up the next 2 weeks should bring in many more.

lawnmaxxllc
04-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Need more estimates , its our first year in residential. We have billboards up, first slot in phonebooks and doing an internet campaign. Only 3 estimates a day, but the dandy's arent popping yet.

lawn king
04-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Our renewal rate was very high and we retained all of our commercial accounts. Sales have been steady, we picked up 6 new accounts this week and expect that trend to continue. Two local garden centers recommend us exclusively, this leads to many new residential accounts. Lots of aeration sold as well, i would like to do 20k in aeration this season, but we will need a strong fall run to match our spring?

Young Bros
04-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Retention went up for 85% to 90%. We have only added around 30 customers so far. Most of which are huge so sales are about $20K so far. Picked up over half a dozen commercial accounts: 32 acres, 10 acres, 3 acres & a couple 2 acre lawns.

Best sales year yet.
:weightlifter:

Spent $3K fixing 2 trucks though.
:cry:

I hope the sales keep coming.
:drinkup:

CHARLES CUE
04-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Kept most from last year got a bunch of new one mostly big yards got a couple back that had canceled in the past they called me. doing good got one nasty one that i guess i wasn't to high on i tried to be
Charles Cue

FuturePilot4u
04-10-2010, 09:05 PM
its amazing, picked up 4 more accounts today, 1 neighbor of a account i have now wants me to do their yard and another account got me their neighbor. picked up 1 from my dads friend, got another from our news paper post. just got my tthp to, perfect timeing cause im getting these big jobs.

GravelyGuy
04-10-2010, 09:12 PM
I think the Indy area must be way better than around here. I used to get a better response when I printed fliers on computer paper.:rolleyes:

Turfdoctor1
04-10-2010, 10:16 PM
wish i would have saved money and not advertised.

can't keep up with the work that is coming in. I've added nearly $100K in expected revenue so far.

ted putnam
04-10-2010, 10:24 PM
wish i would have saved money and not advertised.

can't keep up with the work that is coming in. I've added nearly $100K in expected revenue so far.

Sounds like you're kicking Fairway's arse:laugh::laugh:

rwsawal04
04-10-2010, 10:38 PM
:blob2::blob2::weightlifter:We don't need to put out sign, ad in the phonebook, a billboard or nothing. We can't get out one yard for people stopping us for estimates. We booming in Mississippi!!!

grassman177
04-10-2010, 10:47 PM
going into the year i lost some big money makers for me, 4 different large HOA acconts and one bank. they dont even look good either, i mean you guys would have a hay day if i showed yo pics, which i might!!

anyways, new calls are still coming in off the flyers we did a month ago, and i am picking up some good work, plus have some large bids out. the season however is doing great despite the work loss, grass is royally green and i love it

greendoctor
04-11-2010, 02:58 AM
I would be doing great if the wind would stop. Otherwise, I am getting so much new work that my days as a one man company are numbered. A good friend of mine called me to say he was downsized. Company he worked for lost a commercial maintenance account and that was the straw. Yet one more reason I am glad to be self employed. Almost all "landscapers" in Hawaii do commercial maintenance at low margins. Losing an account is usually catastrophic for them. He is T & O licensed. I am seriously considering bringing him into my operation. My operation is evolving into full maintenance of high end landscapes, I am talking over $400 per month for a 1/4 acre lot(mow, trim, groom shrubs, irrigation management, fertilization, weed control and pest management). I love grooming shrubs and giving a lawn a 1/2" cut, but I am pressed for time to maintain my spray only accounts.

rcreech
04-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Just like last year...lost several out of the gate due to financial reasons and already got a few back.

We are gaining every week.

This will by far be our best year. Already have more seeding on the books then last year and we haven't even started yet.

Don't spend any marketing $$$$$ and getting way too much work!

I love my customers...they are great salesman! :)

americanlawn
04-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Our historical record for five plus inches of continuous snow cover was less than 50 days. This year it was over 70 days, so we started 2 weeks later than last year.

Since March 23, we have been treating 100 - 150 lawns per day. Plan to finish 'round one' on full-program customers this coming week. Then we'll do 'round-one' on "partial program" customers the week after (lots of big properties). Been running 6 production routes per day (3 ride-on routes and 3 push spreader routes) while my truck does the estimates, etc.

During this period, I've done almost 200 estimates. Nearly 120 of these have already become new customers. (We give them 2 weeks to prepay, so I expect more of my prior "estimates" to become customers very soon). We are working six days a week, and I have also been working every Sunday. We also regain several accounts each day that "skipped" the past year or two and want back on .....they either tried it themselves, went with another company, or wanted to save money. Cancellation rate has also been way down.
Two small LCO's went bankrupt, so we're picking up some of theirs. We've also picked up several TG & Scotts customers.

We've had no truck/equipment breakdowns, and nobody has been late for work. The weather has also been somewhat favorable to allow us to get lawns treated properly. So far, so good, as every minute is like "gold" to us right now.

Crossing my fingers, but things are looking extremely good so far.

americanlawn/thewarriorsong :usflag::canadaflag:

GravelyGuy
04-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Our historical record for five plus inches of continuous snow cover was less than 50 days. This year it was over 70 days, so we started 2 weeks later than last year.

Since March 23, we have been treating 100 - 150 lawns per day. Plan to finish 'round one' on full-program customers this coming week. Then we'll do 'round-one' on "partial program" customers the week after (lots of big properties). Been running 6 production routes per day (3 ride-on routes and 3 push spreader routes) while my truck does the estimates, etc.

During this period, I've done almost 200 estimates. Nearly 120 of these have already become new customers. (We give them 2 weeks to prepay, so I expect more of my prior "estimates" to become customers very soon). We are working six days a week, and I have also been working every Sunday. We also regain several accounts each day that "skipped" the past year or two and want back on .....they either tried it themselves, went with another company, or wanted to save money. Cancellation rate has also been way down.
Two small LCO's went bankrupt, so we're picking up some of theirs. We've also picked up several TG & Scotts customers.

We've had no truck/equipment breakdowns, and nobody has been late for work. The weather has also been somewhat favorable to allow us to get lawns treated properly. So far, so good, as every minute is like "gold" to us right now.

Crossing my fingers, but things are looking extremely good so far.

americanlawn/thewarriorsong :usflag::canadaflag:

I'm surprised to hear you say you spray on Sundays. Nothing worse than spraying on the weekend when everyone is outside. Sounds like you close on a lot of your estimates! Are you that much of a charmer?:laugh: Do you do all the estimates yourself?

americanlawn
04-11-2010, 06:58 PM
I seldom "spray, etc" on Sundays anymore, but I used to...... when I first started out (trying to grow my business), I remember working 90 hours per week /working 7 days a week -- sometimes finishing my last job with my headlights on so I could see what I was doing. Friends called me crazy, but over the years, my hard work has paid off. But I was in my 30's then.

During springtime, I currently spend 5 or 6 hours every Sunday during the spring just to catch up on new sign-up's, paperwork, and plan routes for Monday.

I try to do nearly all estimates myself, but sometimes (during the spring), I'll have one or two of my most experienced guys to help run estimates.

I am thankful for our close rate. Our prices are not cheap, yet they are not high. We're in the middle. Most of our new customers are "referrals", so that helps. This also may explain our "closure rate".

Bottom line: Our success would not have been possible if it were not for my wife. She is the office manager/bonded bookkeeper/ and a CPA. :usflag:

I'm surprised to hear you say you spray on Sundays. Nothing worse than spraying on the weekend when everyone is outside. Sounds like you close on a lot of your estimates! Are you that much of a charmer?:laugh: Do you do all the estimates yourself?

SeedPro
04-11-2010, 07:03 PM
I've added fifty new accounts of my own. 20 for the lawn outfits I sub for. 20,000 in new spray work of my own and 4-5000 in machine seeding.

My advertising hasn't panned out like I would have liked and I am shutting it down early this year. Referrals are doing well and my retention rate is 94% for the season which is a relief after last year and frankly some of the ones that quit were losers anyhow.

I may not grow my average 25% this season, but perhaps 20% but I am busy all day every day and have money in the bank and that's all that matters right now.

Finishing all round 1's in hand Tuesday, then on to three days of Tree I and D's/injections, and DRF's and then onto seeding and a few spring aerations. Starting round 2 on the 26th of April or thereabouts.

a plus bob
04-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Sold every est. but two so far. All my est. are from referrals from customers

rcreech
04-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Sold every est. but two so far. All my est. are from referrals from customers

Those are almost guarantees!

My closing rate isn't that good...but I would say I am closing 7 out of 10 if not a little better.

It is funny, some just say DO IT...and some want to THINK ABOUT IT!

Funny how different people are...but it comes down to who has the $$$$ and who don't!

a plus bob
04-11-2010, 09:53 PM
I am doing well with perimeter also.

rcreech
04-11-2010, 10:02 PM
I am doing well with perimeter also.

How are you upselling?

I am getting some new ones...but not near as many as I would like!

I am just upselling on my invoice, but it is pretty cool as it has a spider handing and it looks like a Brown Recluse (even scares me). :laugh:

a plus bob
04-11-2010, 10:08 PM
How are you upselling?

I am just upselling on my invoice, but it is pretty cool as it has a spider handing and it looks like a Brown Recluse (even scares me). :laugh:

Same as you real green software.mine has a ant in a upside down glass.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
04-11-2010, 10:44 PM
How are you upselling?

I upsell via inserts given with invoices. I also give a free perimeter app away with a full fertilizing program for new customers. (Really get's their attention about the service, and I then say "Why not continue this important service for $# per app.:)) Once they see ALL the dead bugs all over their front porch, they are beleivers! SOLD!:cool2: Plus, Perimeter apps are a CHEAP giveaway!:weightlifter:

rcreech
04-11-2010, 10:49 PM
I upsell via inserts given with invoices. I also give a free perimeter app away with a full fertilizing program for new customers. (Really get's their attention about the service, and I then say "Why not continue this important service for $# per app.:)) Once they see ALL the dead bugs all over their front porch, they are beleivers! SOLD!:cool2: Plus, Perimeter apps are a CHEAP giveaway!:weightlifter:

I was giving them away before the $15...I should go back to that!

That is only a cost of like $2 in product and also an upsell at the same time!

Thanks,
RC

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
04-11-2010, 10:57 PM
I was giving them away before the $15...I should go back to that!

That is only a cost of like $2 in product and also an upsell at the same time!

Thanks,
RC

Yep, Seems most people don't know what Perimeter pest control is, so when I give them a FREE app. for being a new customer, they tend to listen a little better to what it is they are getting for free. (especially women-they HATE spiders!)

SeedPro
04-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Seed pro speaking in third person thinks perimeter pest apps are snake oil.

I gotta callem like I see em fellas. You know that.

I dropped my certification for it several years ago.

I may re up and offer them at some point but honestly i think they are BS.

Young Bros
04-12-2010, 12:19 AM
I seldom "spray, etc" on Sundays anymore, but I used to...... when I first started out (trying to grow my business), I remember working 90 hours per week /working 7 days a week -- sometimes finishing my last job with my headlights on so I could see what I was doing. Friends called me crazy, but over the years, my hard work has paid off. But I was in my 30's then.

During springtime, I currently spend 5 or 6 hours every Sunday during the spring just to catch up on new sign-up's, paperwork, and plan routes for Monday.

I try to do nearly all estimates myself, but sometimes (during the spring), I'll have one or two of my most experienced guys to help run estimates.

I am thankful for our close rate. Our prices are not cheap, yet they are not high. We're in the middle. Most of our new customers are "referrals", so that helps. This also may explain our "closure rate".

Bottom line: Our success would not have been possible if it were not for my wife. She is the office manager/bonded bookkeeper/ and a CPA. :usflag:

:usflag:

We are in our 30's and working seven days a week (7 days of production if weather alows). We save commercial properties for the weekends. Saturday did 4 old people homes (250,000 sq ft) & 3 estimates. Today did a city proptery (285,000 sq ft), my house, & our shop. I'm beat.

:weightlifter:
Looks like some wind and rain next week. Boooo!

rcreech
04-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Seed pro speaking in third person thinks perimeter pest apps are snake oil.

I gotta callem like I see em fellas. You know that.

I dropped my certification for it several years ago.

I may re up and offer them at some point but honestly i think they are BS.

Please state why you state this.

My customers love it...as it is hard to argue with dead bugs all over there house right after I leave.

Why do you consider Bifenthrin a "snake oil"?

Why would you call a very good service like this out?

That is like saying Three Way doesn't work on dandelions!

If it is such a joke...why are people paying over $100 for pest control in their houses a month to Ortho and Terminex etc.

SeedPro
04-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Up here people are all freaked out by Box Elder Bugs and Asian ladybugs and from my experience with Talstar it doesn't control or thwart these pests.

I'm sure it has some affect on some insects and arachnids but I think the
product is over sold as some sort of panacea is all.

I know it's easy to do, and very profitable though.

SeedPro
04-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Mostly because they are flying insects of course and while it may be somewhat effective on creepy crawlies, when I did them with tgcl I noticed the people with the issues with insects brought it on themselves with clutter, woodpiles and mulch up the ying yang against the home etc and they just wouldn't allow themselves to be re educated.

If you have bugs in your home in Michigan there's something wrong and Talstar is just a band aid.

Young Bros
04-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Mostly because they are flying insects of course and while it may be somewhat effective on creepy crawlies, when I did them with tgcl I noticed the people with the issues with insects brought it on themselves with clutter, woodpiles and mulch up the ying yang against the home etc and they just wouldn't allow themselves to be re educated.

If you have bugs in your home in Michigan there's something wrong and Talstar is just a band aid.

We mix suspend sc and simitar for perimeters.

Frank Fescue
04-12-2010, 01:35 PM
i completed my round one applications last week. i had a tough time with some accounts. some loser canceled me so i had to rough up the new guy he hired and file lawsuits for civil rights violations against another homeowner because she questioned whether or not i did her app. i followed around some scotts guy and round up ice-cubed some of the lawns he did and kicked over some freshly planted PJMs in anothers yard. most of those idiots leave the invoices in the mailbox which makes it easy for me to alter the customer notes since most just say "DUH WATER THIS PRODUCT IN LOL" i add notes like "hey sorry about trampling your plants", "sorry this was my first day i might have killed your lawn" or "your wife is hot!!!!" i found this tactic to be a lot more profitable than dropping off flyers. also i keep a spare bag of round one product in my van so i can toss it on peoples driveways to make the job look sloppy. i pick up a handful of customers every week.

phasthound
04-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Frank,
My brother lives in RI, how can he contact you for stand up comedy routine for my niece's graduation party?
You are funny!! :laugh:

americanlawn
04-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Frank - that was "too funny"! :laugh::laugh: Have you finalized your tour dates? :laugh: Cool post. :waving: