PDA

View Full Version : Backpack sprayer

coolbrze
04-10-2010, 08:44 AM
What's the best backpack sprayer out there? What do you guys use & recommend?

Ace26
04-12-2010, 03:28 PM
1. SOLO-spendy but great.
2. Tahoe-ok for money spent.

jimshack
04-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I have a stihl sg20 I like it, except the straps suck.

nik
04-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Got a SOLO that we have had over 15 years. Gone through a tip or two as well as a handle. Tank remains in great shape, as does the seal. Worth the money.

bare spot
04-12-2010, 11:14 PM
be a first time user but need to get one soon. was thinking stihl but not if sure if it would be worth it to go with the battery powered one.

kirk1701
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Got a SOLO that we have had over 15 years. Gone through a tip or two as well as a handle. Tank remains in great shape, as does the seal. Worth the money.

Which model?

I'm having the awfulest problems with solo backpack sprayers and I think its the cheapy Lowes version being the main cause.

Stap broke, took back
leaky wand, took back (yesterday
leaking pison, going back yest again :cry:

Thinking about upgrading to this model.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/D475/Solo-475-Backpack-Sprayer

kirk1701
04-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Which model?

I'm having the awfulest problems with solo backpack sprayers and I think its the cheapy Lowes version being the main cause.

Stap broke, took back
leaky wand, took back (yesterday
leaking pison, going back yest again :cry:

Thinking about upgrading to this model.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/D475/Solo-475-Backpack-Sprayer

Bump!!
Anyone? This one Lowes caries is Model 425L and I'm taking it back and ordering the one in my post above.

ArizPestWeed
04-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Solo's are crap , leak from the lid and every where else.

I use the Sp 1 back pack sprayer

http://www.spsystemsllc.com/ourproducts.html

You can also make your own electric back pack sprayer , see below

kirk1701
04-14-2010, 11:52 PM

Wish someone would had posted earlier, I took the chance already and ordered the Solo 475 model.

Thinking the more expensive one might be more bang for the buck :confused:

Greenery
04-14-2010, 11:53 PM

Yup I prefer the SP-1, i've never used a solo that didn't leak from the lid.

jasontimm
04-14-2010, 11:57 PM
i just bought a shurflow propack electric, still sitting here in the box....i hope i like it.

kirk1701
04-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Yup I prefer the SP-1, i've never used a solo that didn't leak from the lid.

Leak from the lid I can deal with "I think" :rolleyes:

Today makes the fourth one I took back to Lowes, strap shreaded, clip broke, leaky wand and the last one leaked underneath in the piston.

My thinking was Lowes just had a bad batch of the cheap ones.

LouisianaLawnboy
04-15-2010, 12:13 AM
I have a Stihl Sprayer I got used, but before I had purchased a piece of junk from China off of ebay. Big mistake.

Stick with the major brands and you will be fine.

kirk1701
04-15-2010, 12:17 AM
I have a Stihl Sprayer I got used, but before I had purchased a piece of junk from China off of ebay. Big mistake.

Stick with the major brands and you will be fine.

And see, thats what I liked about Solo maybe for the wrong reasons.

Made in USA and lifetime warranty

JFF
04-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Nobody uses the Shindiawa sprayers? I love mine.

ArizPestWeed
04-15-2010, 01:57 AM
i just bought a shurflow propack electric, still sitting here in the box....i hope i like it.

2 problems with these , the padding WILL make you sweat , then you'll get cold when you remove it .
You can not change the pump , it's near impossible .
The pumps wear down , need replacing often

ArizPestWeed
04-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Leak from the lid I can deal with "I think" :rolleyes:

My thinking was Lowes just had a bad batch of the cheap ones.

Leaking from the lid means it will be all over your back .

Lowes sell home owner quality , it's cheap .

I am telling you SP Systems are the way to go , or make your own electric one

mishmosh
04-15-2010, 08:31 AM
I bought a 3 nozzle boom for my Solo. It is made for sp systems and does not fit my solo wand nor my universal wand. Does anyone know the thread spacing and size for SP system wands? Is it proprietary?

ArizPestWeed
04-15-2010, 11:21 AM
I bought a 3 nozzle boom for my Solo. It is made for sp systems and does not fit my solo wand nor my universal wand. Does anyone know the thread spacing and size for SP system wands? Is it proprietary?

And you were thinking they were interchangeable ?

Don't think you are gonna make them work together

Ric
04-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Leaking from the lid means it will be all over your back .

Lowes sell home owner quality , it's cheap .

I am telling you SP Systems are the way to go , or make your own electric onehttp://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=274186

Kudos to Air Pest on the make your own.

I made my own, only I put it on wheels as a pull behind while I walked and spot sprayed. It also does a good job on blanket spraying small areas. BTW I also have the SRS 600 electric back pack. My homemade has a bigger pump that puts out more volume that gets the job done faster. The SRS 600 is good and Shurflo has stood behind it when I had a motor go bad. But my pull behind electric sprayer is better for those jobs just a little bigger than the SRS 600 is good on.

Lbilawncare
04-16-2010, 03:31 AM

You will !

bare spot
04-16-2010, 10:46 AM

don't sound good, guess these things are not standardized or something, sounds like if u want to switch out, u have runaround and look for adapters or whatnot.

kirk1701
04-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Sounds like none of you like Solo?

Wish I would had waited as it should be delivered today

Greenery
04-16-2010, 02:32 PM
You should be fine. my main problem with them has been leaky lids, try not to overtighten it and keep the rubber gasket lubed with something and hope for the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

SharpLawnCare
04-16-2010, 02:41 PM
how about the sr 420 by stihl is that sprayer any good i am looking to get one?

greendoctor
04-16-2010, 02:49 PM
I like Solo, but mine is the Solo 433 power sprayer, used to run a hand held boom or a single fan putting down 1 gallon/1000 as fast as I can walk. No handles to break or cylinder at the bottom of the tank to drip Lord knows what down the back of my pants.

kirk1701
04-16-2010, 04:05 PM
You should be fine. my main problem with them has been leaky lids, try not to overtighten it and keep the rubber gasket lubed with something and hope for the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

So far with the four I took back the lid was the only thing that didn't leak on all 4 :laugh:

lawn king
04-16-2010, 06:02 PM
20 years ago, solo was a nice backpack, now they make junk!

ArizPestWeed
04-16-2010, 06:26 PM
20 years ago, solo was a nice backpack, now they make junk!

Yup , that's right what I hear

Ruben Rocha
04-16-2010, 08:15 PM
I use the Shindawa sp-518.
Comes standard with a 29" brass wand .
7+ plus years use with chlorine ,herbicides and whatever else I put in it and I finally had to repair it. Cost $27.00. New tube and check valve.
I don't care for the way the shoulder straps attach to the tank. But when I replace it I will go for the same unit.

coolbrze
04-17-2010, 08:01 AM
So it's sounds like Solo has been good to some of you but the SP Systems are really nice? Where's a good place to order from and what models are the most popular?

kirk1701
04-17-2010, 10:12 AM
We'll it came yesterday and though I haven't actually used it yet I did fill it with water and IT DIDN'T LEAK!!!:drinkup:

One thing I was not impressed with was the pressure gauge, I thought it was suppose to hold a steady pressure if adjusted to say 20 Lbs but it doesn't :confused:

coolbrze
04-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Is the SP-1 the most popular/common SP Systems backpack sprayer? Sounds like this is the way to go... Where's a good place to buy from?