PDA

View Full Version : Grass help

tylerxedge
04-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Good day sirs and madams, my name is Tyler I work at a church and i need to plant some grass seed. The place where i need to plant is in terrible terrible condition. Do I get top soil or dirt, or something else in order to make grass grow in that area? I'll be using kentucky bluegrass seed if that helps. thanks<3

edit>> i can take picture if that will help

Kiril
04-10-2010, 11:50 AM
A picture and location would help, along with why you think it is in "terrible terrible condition"

tylerxedge
04-10-2010, 09:44 PM
A picture and location would help, along with why you think it is in "terrible terrible condition"

ill get a picture up soon

the terrible condition is the fact that where im working is more sand than snything, im located in south new jersey

betmr
04-11-2010, 10:18 AM
If you are in area with high sandy soil, Irrigation is going to be one of your main concerns. High sandy soil does not hold moisture well, and so, will need more watering. Perhaps you need to consider a sprinkler system.

tombo82685
04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
ill get a picture up soon

the terrible condition is the fact that where im working is more sand than snything, im located in south new jersey

The sandy soil is going to have a problem holding moisture like the guy below you said. Either modify the soil by adding organic matter to have some water holding tendancies, or go with a grass that is more drought tolerant. The fescue family is best in terms of cool season grasses for drought tolerance.

RigglePLC
04-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Late summer, about Aug 28 when temps drop below 80, is the best time to seed. First find out why it is in such terrible condition. Did it dry out last summer? Heavy shade? Weeds? Crabgrass? Quackgrass or other weedy grass?
I would not plant pure Kentucky bluegrass. It has a tiny seed that is slow to start and often fails during a spring seeding because it fails to establish enough before the ssummer heat arrives. I suggest a rye/bluegrass mixture like Scotts Turfbuilder seed--use the good stuff--definately avoid Scotts "Contractor's Mixture" (it is really crappy seed). If you have to go without irrigation use a turf type tall fescue with about 10 to 20 percent bluegrass to help it creep better.