PDA

View Full Version : Floater in the carb?[Walker related]

fiveohpoepoe
04-11-2010, 12:37 AM
25hp Kohler on my Walker[roughly 2800 miles]. Long story short sometimes it will run like a champ and other times like its on its last cut. Whether the blades are engaged or not, it has a miss, especially at high rpms[seems higher than what I would consider normal] and when I back it down to half throttle, it seems to almost choke out/just cut off. When the blades are engaged, they obviously do not have the speed to cut well. Going up a slight incline, again, the mower noticeably slows down[rpms,speed and blade speed] This is not constant.
I changed the plugs and fuel filter today. Rode around for a minute and it was sputtering and going through the same issues. A couple of minutes later, the rpm,s came up and ran great. Though not at full capacity, I was able to finish.

I hope I have described this so that anyone can understand. My neighbor say its the floater in the carb due to the fluctuating rpms and not on the lower side all the time. PLEASE reply with your thoughts. My plan is to rebuild the carb next week.

DT Lawn Care
04-11-2010, 01:04 AM
You mean the "float". Could be. I don't normally rebuild (as in new gaskets, jets, etc.) the carb when I have trouble, I just clean it out really well. Pull it off, remove the bowl and float with needle. Spray carb cleaner generously and spray compressed air through the jets and passages. Re-assemble and spray the float and float pin. Be sure you have the needle back on the float and down the passage correctly, or else when you turn the gas back on, gas will flood out and pour out your mower. Put the carb back on and IF the carb was your problem, it should be fixed. You can put new gaskets or jets in if you want while you have it off, but if you're good at it, you can remove/clean/re-assemble in a few mins. Good Luck

fiveohpoepoe
04-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Yes float. My mind is fried about this. The mower cuts great, as a Walker should. I,ll definitely try the easier route first. Thank you very much for the reply

fiveohpoepoe
04-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Replaced the air filter Sunday and noticed somewhat of an improvement. Cleaned the carb today and still seemed ok. I also noticed the throttle was not getting pushed to the stopping point[at the end of the cable where there is a bolt with a nut/pushes the mechanism] Ran good so I mowed and did fine. I still believe there is more rpm/blade speed so Im going to mess with the throttle mech. again.

StanWilhite
10-29-2010, 09:38 PM
25hp Kohler on my Walker[roughly 2800 miles]. Long story short sometimes it will run like a champ and other times like its on its last cut. Whether the blades are engaged or not, it has a miss, especially at high rpms[seems higher than what I would consider normal] and when I back it down to half throttle, it seems to almost choke out/just cut off. When the blades are engaged, they obviously do not have the speed to cut well. Going up a slight incline, again, the mower noticeably slows down[rpms,speed and blade speed] This is not constant.
I changed the plugs and fuel filter today. Rode around for a minute and it was sputtering and going through the same issues. A couple of minutes later, the rpm,s came up and ran great. Though not at full capacity, I was able to finish.

I hope I have described this so that anyone can understand. My neighbor say its the floater in the carb due to the fluctuating rpms and not on the lower side all the time. PLEASE reply with your thoughts. My plan is to rebuild the carb next week.

LOL......sorry, I just can't get the picture out of my head of someone leaving a "floater" in your carb! :-)

dutch1
10-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Swimming pools have been known to have floaters or so I'm told. Either that or Tootsie Rolls.