PDA

View Full Version : electric clutch

brix
04-11-2010, 04:54 PM
I've got an older scag 52" ztr. I've been having problems with the electric clutch engaging the blades. I've gapped them at .015" (air gap). Seems like they engage but if I disengage after I've been mowing awhile they won't engage. It seems like they try but won't until it cools off for a bit. I don't have a manual that says air gap, so I'm going by what I read on here. Should I close the gap a bit? Suggestions?

thanks, Brix

DT Lawn Care
04-11-2010, 06:13 PM
I've got an older scag 52" ztr. I've been having problems with the electric clutch engaging the blades. I've gapped them at .015" (air gap). Seems like they engage but if I disengage after I've been mowing awhile they won't engage. It seems like they try but won't until it cools off for a bit. I don't have a manual that says air gap, so I'm going by what I read on here. Should I close the gap a bit? Suggestions?

thanks, Brix

MOST seem to be .012-.015". But I have seen some spec at like .020 and some at .008. If you post your model and serial, Restro or Dutch or someone could probably tell you your correct gap. It would seem? to me that opening up the gap would keep it cooler? But just a wild guess.

brix
04-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Model # is 552-22cv serial # 21560110 as best as I can make it out.

Thanks, Brix

Restrorob
04-11-2010, 09:46 PM
For years I've set all clutches at .012" without any issues, You can give that a try but you really need to test amp draw on the clutch when engaged with a multimeter. It should be in the 6 to 8 amp range, Much higher than 8 is a sign the clutch may be on the way out.

brix
04-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Was having trouble with the airgap, finally took the clutch off and disassembled. The field magnet was gone, totally! Suprised it ever engaged. New clutch on the way for $167.00, I didn't think that was too bad a price. By the way I'm just a homeowner with 6 acres. Thanks, you guys have been alot of help.

Brix

Restrorob
04-15-2010, 12:11 PM
By the way I'm just a homeowner with 6 acres

Glad you found the problem Brix, Homeowner or commercial who ever ask for help around here normally gets it !

brix
04-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Ordered the clutch online thursday and arrived today (Saturday). Everything fit and was packed well. I got it from lawnmowerstuff.com which is the same as Petes small engine. No ties to this company at all, just suprised at the service.
Brix

clean_cut
04-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Glad you found the issue, do you have any tips for adjusting the air gap on the clutch? I have a similar mower and had a very hard time getting the under the mower and putting the feeler gauge in while turning the bolt.

Did you jack up the mower or put it on a ramp?

Thanks for the help, God Bless!

ed2hess
04-18-2010, 07:16 PM
I learned something new this year. I had a clutch go out....well it was go sometimes and not others. It first took out the PTO switch which I replaced and in a couple weeks another PTO went out. I finally realized it was a clutch so I got a new clutch and a new PTO switch and put in line fuse for my Scag. So apparently a bad clutch can pull enough current to take out the switch before it completely burns up.

brix
04-18-2010, 07:48 PM
cleancut, I just pulled the clutch off, I think that's just as easy and you can definately see things better.

Brix

clean_cut
04-18-2010, 09:00 PM
How hard is it to remove the clutch from the engine? It looks pretty difficult.

brix
04-18-2010, 09:33 PM
CC,
1. Loosened idler adj. to remove belt off clutch.
2. Unplug clutch.
3. Just loosen clutch to shaft bolt. Clutch should come off.
4. Slide feeler in the 3 windows to check air gap.

Brix

DT Lawn Care
04-18-2010, 10:52 PM
CC,
1. Loosened idler adj. to remove belt off clutch.
2. Unplug clutch.
3. Just loosen clutch to shaft bolt. Clutch should come off.
4. Slide feeler in the 3 windows to check air gap.

Brix

Depends on the mower. Can be a b*tch, some require engine removal.

Restrorob
04-19-2010, 06:33 AM
CC,

Just jack the rear up, Put stands under it and adjust away.....

clean_cut
04-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Ok, thanks so much guys, I was worried about that engine removal, I might try jacking up the mower and using stands instead.

How accurate does the measurement need to be, not extremely accurate I'm guessing since the directions say .012-.022 in.

Thanks again guys!

Restrorob
04-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Best to stay around the .012" mark so it's doesn't need re-adjustment any time soon....

clean_cut
04-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Best to stay around the .012" mark so it's doesn't need re-adjustment any time soon....

O.K. Thanks, sorry for hijacking you thread brix *trucewhiteflag*