PDA

View Full Version : FS 100RX problems

rugmankc
04-11-2010, 06:23 PM
I have this trimmer and a Stihl blower. Blower is great. Trimmer is overpowered for my yard and me with back surgery tomorrow and possible shoulder surgery soon. I would prefer a lighter, quality trimmer like the Echo 210??, although I haven't researched that one for 2 years.

My problem with the FS is that the rpm's are full out or zero, it is hard to regulate speed accurately. My last trimmer, a Craftsman cheapy, still spun at idle and was perfect for bed edging the light grass. The Stihl is heavy to hang over my fence and edge on the other side with my shoulder. The big problem is the gas cap. It is quite frankly a pain in the butt to get off and especially back on. If no one else has this issue, I am just stupid or have a defective cap. I snapped off the black plastic piece you lift up to turn the cap with and it will not go back on with the orange cap there held on with a snap ring. Will go to my Stihl dealer I bought it form when I heal from surgery enough to drive and explain my problem. Maybe he can tell me what I am doing wrong or if the cap is bad. Don't know if cap is under warranty.

I may just sell it with my health issues and get a lighter one that spins at idle and an easier gas cap. Will get a new cap before I sell it. Any suggestions on the right trimmer for me or the gas cap. It is two years old in July with obvious light use and probably no more than 15 hours use. I just replaced the original spool today and that is probably due to going around a chain link fence.

What is it worth to sell with the new head and a backup one. I was going to just stop when I see some landscapers and ask them if they want it and see what they offer. I am in the Dayton Ohio area.

Since my surgery is tomorrow, I may not be able to check back here for a week. I haven't been on the site for awhile, I assume it has PM capability. If someone is interested they can PM, but may be awhile till I get back to you.

Ken

rugmankc
04-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Found this post so have learned some. Will have new cap put on and ask dealer to show me correct way to install. But, it seems these are still a pain to deal with. Will probably still sell it. More than I need. Other than the issues mentioned, it starts right up and is a beast.

Ken

rugmankc
04-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Sorry forgot to paste,

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=295086

ken

rob7233
04-11-2010, 09:15 PM
If you are going with the Echo then the 230 vs the 210 would be the better choice as far as your needs and overall weight considered and value.

rugmankc
04-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks rob7233,

I will look at them when I am back home. I did look at the Echo's, Stihl's, and Shindaiwa's before I bought the Stihl. But, that was 2 years ago. Any idea of the FS resale value, I paid 329.00 at a Stihl dealer.

Ken

modedicebox
04-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I'd give you 150 for it plus shipping.
Posted via Mobile Device

rugmankc
04-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks modedicebox,

I will come back to this thread when I am out of hospital and let you know.

I am shutting down for the night.

Ken

bluridge
04-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Well I hope your surgery goes well!

I may be interested in the 100RX if you want to sell it. Unfortunately I will have to get it shipped. I just got back from Cinti Ohio where I grew up as I came from northern ky to visit my parents. Could have swung around to pick up.

The original intent for this email is to tell you to check out the Dolmar 22C I think that is the model number. I was over at arboristsite and someone there got the Dolmar and its...get this... 8 lbs...and plenty powerful for homeowner usage. You'd have to check the specs but I think its close to 1hp however the user states its so darn light one could trim with one hand... lol...

When you get out of the hospital check this out...I might go check it out myself too when I can find a Dolmar dealer around.

rugmankc
04-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks Bluridge,

Surgery went well just waiting to see how quick the nerve damage heals. I probably would prefer a hand to hand transaction, but probably will sell. Will look into the Dolmar22C. I need an easy to swap line head also. But really want more control over speed variation at lower speeds than the FS has. Plus, I forget, but think since it is a 4 stroke, sort of, it spins opposite from my last one and I get pelted more with debris on the way I walk my gardens. Got to get the gas cap fixed first. Still nowhere close to driving. This surgery was an eye opener to say the least.

An after thought. I would like a bed edger, just basic like at lowes and under 300.00. Are they hard to get good at doing good lines and curves or take a lot of practice. This would reduce actual trimmer edging time, as I could go longer in between edges with the trimmer.

Too bad on the FS, because both of my Stihls are great quality, and with synthetic oil and premium gas, start right up all the time. They just feel good. The gas cap issue is probably my fault for not going back and shown how to do it correctly.

Ken