PDA

View Full Version : Tree roots growing wild

zenn68
04-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Hope this is in the right section. I'm a homeowner, in a few places trough out my yard I have tree roots grown across the lawn sticking halfway up out of the surface each about 10-12ft long. They are unsightly and make it hard to cut the grass, have to be careful around them so I don't catch the blades. Is there a known good way to deal with them? I'm thinking of taking a chainsaw to them cutting into smaller chunks and prying them out. Thought I would ask here first. Any suggestions.

betmr
04-12-2010, 05:49 AM
I would not recommend cutting them!!! The way we deal with surface roots is to cover them with top soil, sow new seed, and create a mulch bed around the tree. Otherwise, remove the offensive tree, and replace with a deep root type...Or no tree at all.

GrassStitcher
04-12-2010, 11:10 AM
I would not recommend cutting them!!! The way we deal with surface roots is to cover them with top soil, sow new seed, and create a mulch bed around the tree. Otherwise, remove the offensive tree, and replace with a deep root type...Or no tree at all.

I agree, you will never stop those roots, they will always emerge, cutting will possibly kill topsoiling with grass seed won't last. Best solution is a better tree or mulch the area and keep the grass out.