PDA

View Full Version : Transmission on 50" Cub Cadet zero turn only working part of the time??

Bill Bol
04-11-2010, 10:38 PM
So ive got a 2007 50inch Cub Cadet zero turn with what appears to be a transmission problem. The right side works sometimes and sometimes doesnt. it seams like after the mower has sat for a while it works fine for about 10-15 minutes and then starts acting up. sometimes no reverse on it and other times barely any forward. It does appear there is a small leak from one of the seals on it which i plan to replace very soon but i keep the fluid full even with the leak. i was wondering if bc of the leak it could be causing air to get in adn creating an air pocket? it also makes a weird noise when its not working correctly. any ideas? could it be maybe an internal pump thats gone bad? im trying to figure this out because when i crack the case to replace all the seals i would like to replace the possible faulty part as well if thats whats causing this issue. please any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Bill Bol
04-12-2010, 02:34 PM
anybody??? any ideas??

Bill Bol
04-13-2010, 09:45 AM
nobody has any suggestions?? could this just be a fluid issue? maybe im not using the correct fluid?? does anybody know what should be used fluid wise

USFGUY
05-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I have a 50 inch Troy-bilt with same issue.. was told that by many repair places it happens around the 100 hr mark on MTD built mowers. I drained and refilled with auto tranny fluid rather than motor oil. Seems to have fixed most of the issue. It is just used on my own home now. (was my backup mower).

Was also told those hydrogears are NOT rebuildable but you can get replacements for about $600 a set from a surplus center. Cheapest I found elsewhere was $700 a SIDE!

Jay Ray
05-09-2010, 05:58 PM
I have a 50 inch Troy-bilt with same issue.. was told that by many repair places it happens around the 100 hr mark on MTD built mowers. I drained and refilled with auto tranny fluid rather than motor oil. Seems to have fixed most of the issue. It is just used on my own home now. (was my backup mower).

Was also told those hydrogears are NOT rebuildable but you can get replacements for about $600 a set from a surplus center. Cheapest I found elsewhere was $700 a SIDE!

Those hydro tranny's are not serviceable with a filter and new oil are they?

I've heard jokes about turning the mowers upside down in a sling to drain the tranny oil, and back right side up to fill them.

I agree with trying transmission fluid as there is nothing to lose

USFGUY
05-22-2010, 12:21 PM
no not rebuildable and all in one.. no fluid filter.