PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Grubb control

speedster
04-12-2010, 08:39 AM
I've read some conflicting info about grubb controll.

Background:
I have a pretty extensive mole problem and a house full of lady bugs. Not sure if there is a correlation but from what I've read the best way to rid my yard of moles is to get rid of their food. I had heard of a product called Grubbex and planned to buy some and put down but I've heard some conflicting information as to when this should occur. Some people say put it down as early as possible like right now while others suggest I should wait until june/july when the larve are hatching.

Whats the truth?

Runner
04-12-2010, 11:53 AM
No...Do NOT it it down now. Grub-ex contains imidicloprid which is applied as rather a preventative treatment. It is designed to work on the infant stages of the grubs when they are first hatched. Applying it now would be a waste as it would have no efficacy (potency and effect) by the tie the new grubs began to hatch out. Also, this product does NOT work on adult grubs that are found in the soil now left over from last year.

Frank Fescue
04-12-2010, 01:19 PM
i'm confused about grubb control too, dont worry its as confusing as crabbgrassss control and needs to be timed right to apply. now is not the right time.

kenneth meals
04-12-2010, 07:22 PM
As for your house full of lady bugs, chances are they have been nesting during the winters in your walls in the insulation. It's a very common problem, pay attention to their trail of feces they leave. It will lead you to areas they use to get into the walls.

starry night
04-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Do you in fact have a grub problem or you just assuming the grubs because you have moles? Moles are meat eaters, not just grubs but worms. And you don't want to get rid of the worms, I hope. Try a website called "The Mole Man."
Guy in Cincy who is THE expert on mole control.

SeedPro
04-12-2010, 08:12 PM
99% of a Moles diet is earthworms. Treating for grubs because you have a mole problem is a waste of money and not environmentally sound.

If you have Moles hire a professional that knows how to eradicate them.

Or figure out how to do it yourself but I'm not tellin you how.

speedster
04-12-2010, 08:14 PM
As for your house full of lady bugs, chances are they have been nesting during the winters in your walls in the insulation. It's a very common problem, pay attention to their trail of feces they leave. It will lead you to areas they use to get into the walls.

Not sure I've ever seen lady bug feces. How can I spot it?

speedster
04-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Do you in fact have a grub problem or you just assuming the grubs because you have moles? Moles are meat eaters, not just grubs but worms. And you don't want to get rid of the worms, I hope. Try a website called "The Mole Man."
Guy in Cincy who is THE expert on mole control.

Not sure if I indeed have a mole problem or not? All I know is that I have a pretty bad mole problem. I bought one of those guilitine style traps and haven't had any luck with it. I'll check that website. Thanks.

kenneth meals
04-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Speedster I'll take a picture tomarrow and post it. But there will be dark trails in a nondefined pattern, it's basicly excreting as it walks along. The picture will show it.

Runner
04-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Not sure I've ever seen lady bug feces. How can I spot it?
It's real easy to spot if you have a henway.

kenneth meals
04-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Here's the pictures I took of it today. If you have kids try washing it to see if it comes off before blaming them for scribling on the wall. Tried getting a picture of it on a window but it didn't work.

RDA
04-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Not sure if I indeed have a mole problem or not? All I know is that I have a pretty bad mole problem.

Brilliant....which is it?

Regards,

Rich

speedster
04-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Brilliant....which is it?

Regards,

Rich

LOL. Sorry, I meant to say not sure if I have a grubb problem :)

starry night
04-13-2010, 12:41 PM
I think his fingers got going faster than his brain. I translated it that he didn't know if he had a GRUB problem but he knows he has a MOLE problem.

I repeat for all www.themoleman.com This guy with the website knows everything about moles and he's not trying to sell products. His business is mole control in the Cincinnati area and he lectures but he gives out lots of free info on the website.

RDA
04-13-2010, 12:50 PM
LOL. Sorry, I meant to say not sure if I have a grubb problem :)

No problem, I just found it funny in a Yogi Berra sort of way...

Regards,

Rich

speedster
04-13-2010, 01:24 PM
I think his fingers got going faster than his brain. I translated it that he didn't know if he had a GRUB problem but he knows he has a MOLE problem.

I repeat for all www.themoleman.com This guy with the website knows everything about moles and he's not trying to sell products. His business is mole control in the Cincinnati area and he lectures but he gives out lots of free info on the website.

Thanks. I read the Molemans website. The traps he uses is the one I bought. However I haven't been as lucky as he has. I guess I need to learn how to read the tunnels better.

tlg
04-13-2010, 08:52 PM
If you have a mole problem it dosen't mean you have a grub problem. The main food source for moles is an earthworm. Unless your lawn has dead spots our the turf pulls right up from the roots being pruned off by a grub, I would doubt you have grubs. You need to treat the problem.... the mole. Traps are fine but are " old school " when it comes to getting rid of moles. If your a homeowner you can buy a product called " Tomcat " it's a bait shaped like an earthworm with a poison in it. If you don't want to treat the problem yourself look for a company ( licensed ) to control moles with the same bait procedure. It's by far the best effective method.

speedster
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Update on this situation: I actually killed a mole with my plunger trap a few weeks ago. Since then I've notice no activity and no new mole mounds. However, what I have noticed since the temps have risen is that there apepars to be a lot of bugs in the yard. I haven't noticed grubbs but lots of ants and several other types of creepy crawlies. Noticed at the big box store the other day several products. Bug-b-gone max, spectracide, and a product from Bayer which the name escapes me. All three used different active ingrediants. Would it hurt to put one of those down right now? They're only about $10 for 5000 sq' of treatment. so I figured it couldn't hurt.

When are the best times to put these treatments on? During early morning dew? dry day? rainy day?

Which one works the best? I know the big-b-gone listed about 6-7 different critters while the spectricide said it killed about 40 different insects.

Do I need to keep my dog off the lawn for a while?

tlg
05-10-2010, 09:15 PM
You need to identify the insects you want to kill. You should also determine if the " creepy crawlies " are even causing a problem. Ants are a losing battle in most cases as you will never eliminate most ant species in a home lawn. You might reduce them but IMO your never going to get rid of them. If you have insects that are damaging the grass then you may want to treat with an insecticide. The issue here is you want to avoid using control products unless needed. Save your money only use these products if you have a problem. Timing and type of control product are critical for any type of pesticide..... especially an insecticide if you want to get good results. Do your homework. Identify the pest , select the right product, and always read the label.