PDA

View Full Version : Anyone dislike Stihl's Easy2Start feature?

whitenack
04-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Looking for a new string trimmer. Leaning toward Stihl.

I am an able-bodied male in my early 30's. Pull starting trimmers and lawnmowers are usually not a problem, so I am not really that swayed by an easier start. However, the trimmer I am considering (FS 56 C-E) has a Easy2Start feature.

Normally, I wouldn't think much about it because, while it isn't a problem, easier is easier, right? However, I read in the manual that the Easy2Start feature requires a slow, steady pull instead of a quick pull.

I wonder if that becomes a problem when you are wanting to "start on the fly". For instance, you have been working already and had to shut it off for a second, and now are ready to start it again. You are already strapped in and just want to reach back, give it a quick jerk and get going. Wouldn't a slow pull work against you, since you are just holding it in midair?

Or am I overthinking this?

rlitman
04-12-2010, 05:08 PM
I think you're over thinking this.
I haven't had any issues starting my normal Stihl trimmers, and don't own an ez2start, but I've played with one in a showroom.
When you pull the string, it winds a spring. At the end of the pull, the spring is unleashed, and that spins the engine a little faster than you can with just your arm. I guess you could damage it by giving it a normal forceful pull, but you wouldn't do that since you're not fighting the engine compression during the pull. It feels quite different.

whitenack
04-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I think you're over thinking this.
I haven't had any issues starting my normal Stihl trimmers, and don't own an ez2start, but I've played with one in a showroom.
When you pull the string, it winds a spring. At the end of the pull, the spring is unleashed, and that spins the engine a little faster than you can with just your arm. I guess you could damage it by giving it a normal forceful pull, but you wouldn't do that since you're not fighting the engine compression during the pull. It feels quite different.

Thanks for the reply. I guess that's my worry. I am worried that my natural reaction will be to give it a quick yank and tear something up.

RugerRedhawk
04-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Sounds like you'll get used to it pretty quickly.

rlitman
04-13-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't think its fragile. I'm just happy with how my Stihl equipment starts.
They say not to give a regular rope starter too quick a pull either, or the rope can break if you regularly pull it to the end.

You should go to the dealer and give it a spin. Most dealers will be happy to demonstrate a Stihl product, and they've probably got one gassed up and ready to test drive.
You may find you really like it. I don't dislike it, its just not worth it to me.

whitenack
04-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I guess I need to call around and see if they have one gassed up.

I don't feel the need to have an easy2start either. The only reason I am thinking about one is the particular model I am looking at only comes with that feature. I am looking for a residential straight shaft string trimmer with bicycle handle bars in stihl brand. Therefore, my cheapest option is the FS 56 CE ($279) or I could pay an extra $50 for the FS 90. I'd like to save the $50, but not if the starting mechanism is going to be a problem.

Decoste76
04-13-2010, 09:16 PM
have all stihl equipment and my father just purchased one of the new easy start chainsaw and the thing sucked to start actually broke the puller and had was going to have it replaced with the normal one wouldnt get it in my opinion go with the normal start its just as easy

rlitman
04-13-2010, 09:46 PM
From what I see the 90 is a big step up. That puts you into the "pro" level of equipment, and the 90 is a 4-mix engine.
I wish you were local. I'd sell you a hardly used FS110 for way less.

Any reason you want the bicycle handle? I know its better for brush cutting, but the consensus here seems to be that it gets annoying for normal trimming.

whitenack
04-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Any reason you want the bicycle handle? I know its better for brush cutting, but the consensus here seems to be that it gets annoying for normal trimming.

I just assumed it would be more comfortable over prolonged use.

cgaengineer
04-14-2010, 06:27 AM
Have you looked at the KM90? Its around the same HP and you can add attachments to the power head.

rreyn1812
04-14-2010, 06:53 AM
I use the FS90 & 110 on a daily basis, and have used a friends Easy2Start unit, and for overall use I'd take the FS90 any day. Great trimmer. I like it better that the 110. It's easy to start (easy pull) and I've never had a problem with it in 3 years use. The Easy2Start was OK I guess, but I just never quite got used to it. Just a personal thing I guess. If it's a Stihl you can't go too wrong. :)

cgaengineer
04-14-2010, 07:17 AM
I will tell you that the KM/FS 90 doesn't spin the brush blade like the 55, so if you have plans to use brush blade I would get the 55...actually I would get a 110. For easy of start you can't beat the 4 mix...choke, pull and start...I have never used primer bulb.
Posted via Mobile Device

rlitman
04-14-2010, 12:07 PM
I will tell you that the KM/FS 90 doesn't spin the brush blade like the 55, so if you have plans to use brush blade I would get the 55...actually I would get a 110. For easy of start you can't beat the 4 mix...choke, pull and start...I have never used primer bulb.
Posted via Mobile Device

I use the primer out of habit (and if you run the tank dry, its a good idea), but the hardest part about cold starting my KM-110, is opening the choke after it starts.
I choke it, pull the cord, and immediately open the choke, and it fires up every time. If I leave it choked for more than a few seconds, it stalls out, and then I need to unchoke and pull again. Never has it failed to run after the second pull.
The 4-mix is great, and doesn't need a warmup like my fc-85 did.

tigerfan88
04-14-2010, 12:49 PM
spend $299 on the fs90r (loop handle) and you will never regret it! bike handles are a pita.

cgaengineer
04-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I use the primer out of habit (and if you run the tank dry, its a good idea), but the hardest part about cold starting my KM-110, is opening the choke after it starts.
I choke it, pull the cord, and immediately open the choke, and it fires up every time. If I leave it choked for more than a few seconds, it stalls out, and then I need to unchoke and pull again. Never has it failed to run after the second pull.

This is correct...why do they recess the choke? If you have gloves on its even more difficult!
Posted via Mobile Device

piste
04-15-2010, 05:00 PM

I have the FS45...not Easy2Start...and above is exactly how it goes ...EVERY time. Meaning...I choke it...pull the cord a time or two...and it sort of starts but stalls out before I can even get to open the choke. So then I open the choke and she fires up. And THAT is why the Easy2Start exists in the first place. Good news is it starts reliably...but very quirkily and in a way I had to figure out on my own...manual doesn't tell you this.

If a manufacturer builds a feature called EASY2Start...that implies that models without it...well...AREN'T (easy to start). To me...any engine should run long enough with the choke on so that the operator can at least have time (a few seconds) to open the choke.

If Easy2Start avoids playing games with the choke/start as noted above...I might try it..but not at a huge premium in price.

whitenack
04-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I have the FS45...not Easy2Start...and above is exactly how it goes ...EVERY time. Meaning...I choke it...pull the cord a time or two...and it sort of starts but stalls out before I can even get to open the choke. So then I open the choke and she fires up. And THAT is why the Easy2Start exists in the first place. Good news is it starts reliably...but very quirkily and in a way I had to figure out on my own...manual doesn't tell you this.

If a manufacturer builds a feature called EASY2Start...that implies that models without it...well...AREN'T (easy to start). To me...any engine should run long enough with the choke on so that the operator can at least have time (a few seconds) to open the choke.

If Easy2Start avoids playing games with the choke/start as noted above...I might try it..but not at a huge premium in price.

Does the Easy2Start feature change the choke/fuel approach, or does it just make the pull easier?

I guess my worry is that part break. More parts break more.

2thman
04-19-2010, 02:49 PM
I have an FS 90 trimmer and love it. I have used a blade on it to clear small brush without issue. It starts easier than any trimmer I've ever had. I've never regretted paying more for better equipment, but I have often regretted buying the cheap stuff. Even for homeowner use professional grade equipment is worth the investment.