PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping shady front yard

whitenack
04-12-2010, 12:27 PM
First spring in our new house. Existing landscaping is old and outdated. Looking to go in, take everything out and redo.

The front faces East, with a large red oak to the East. In other words, there is a lot of shade. There might be an hour of mid-day sun as the sun passes the tree, but then it is back to shade as the house blocks the rest of the day's sun. There is the southern corner, though, that avoids the shade of the big oak, and will get quite a bit of early to mid-day sun.

Any suggestions?

We had thought about boxwood and cherry laurel as our basic shrubbery, and maybe a hosta or two dispersed around here and there. Maybe a Sweetbay Mag. at the sunny corner. Maybe some Hydrangea, maybe knock roses by the sweetbay.

Trying to get some variety and some color, but don't want it to look junky. I'm never very good at planning this stuff. I get an idea in my mind, but when it gets put into reality it always looks like crap.

whitenack
04-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Here is a pic of the house. This is looking West. Since this picture was taken, the dead dogwood and all of the shrubs have been removed.

How would you landscape?

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=184388&stc=1&d=1271165735