PDA

View Full Version : Type of blade to use in my 21" mower

RugerRedhawk
04-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Ok, It's a Husqvarna 55R21HV. Here's the info on it: http://www.maximumoutdoor.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=35643&Manufacturer=40

Got it used, it's set up with a door that can be left shut for mulching, but has a bagging attachment, and a side discharge chute that can be put on. My inclination is to use it as a side discharge setup simply because I don't think I mow often enough to mulch. I need to mow more often to mulch right?

If I'm going to discharge, is there a blade I should be using other than the one that came with the mower? What should I look for? I have no intentions of bagging, I think I'd have to empty the thing twice each time I mow, and don't want to mess with it.

Thanks.

unkownfl
04-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Kinda need to know what type of grass you're mowing in what region of the world.

RugerRedhawk
04-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Kinda need to know what type of grass you're mowing in what region of the world.

Sorry, upstate NY, no clue what what breed of grass it is, but it's nothing special. Most of the lawn is fairly thin, but some are extra thick. I try to mow when it's as dry as possible, but sometimes in my climate it's impossible to completely avoid mowing some wet grass. I think it currently has a mulching blade on there, but I used it with the side discharge chute, not sure if this approach is at all sensible. I'd love to mulch, but sometimes end up going 7 (or more) days without mowing.

unkownfl
04-12-2010, 04:00 PM
If you're discharging then you should use med-high lift blades. If your mulching you should use the mulching blades. You can cut the grass high discharging and then go over it again with the mulch setup. This may be time consuming and a PIA but it could lessen the amount of Fert. you need to apply. With the blades of the grass being thin I would consider the hi-lift blades.

RugerRedhawk
04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
If you're discharging then you should use med-high lift blades. If your mulching you should use the mulching blades. You can cut the grass high discharging and then go over it again with the mulch setup. This may be time consuming and a PIA but it could lessen the amount of Fert. you need to apply. With the blades of the grass being thin I would consider the hi-lift blades.

Thanks, I don't mess with fertilizer or anything, pretty much just cut it down so it doesn't overtake me. That's why discharge will probably be what I'm looking for. I'll look into getting some medium lift blades. I guess I could mulch on days when I'm cutting it before it gets out of control.

unkownfl
04-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks, I don't mess with fertilizer or anything, pretty much just cut it down so it doesn't overtake me. That's why discharge will probably be what I'm looking for. I'll look into getting some medium lift blades. I guess I could mulch on days when I'm cutting it before it gets out of control.

If you have thin bladed grass it may be better to get high lift or hi-lift blades. Medium blades may not have enough vacuum to stand the grass or weeds up leaving some after mowing.

RugerRedhawk
04-12-2010, 04:25 PM
If you have thin bladed grass it may be better to get high lift or hi-lift blades. Medium blades may not have enough vacuum to stand the grass or weeds up leaving some after mowing.

Oh, ok. Now hi-lift blades are still generally going to be less likely to bog down the engine than mulching blades right?