PDA

View Full Version : Ford F150?

mowerbrad
04-12-2010, 10:10 PM
For anyone who has been following my "search" for a new truck, you will know that I've been looking strictly at 3/4 - 1 ton diesel trucks.

At first I was very set on a duramax...but after talking with my mechanics, I realized that repairs on that engine are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE, so that led to me crossing that one off my list.

Then I started to look into the Ford Super Duty's...I was looking at the 99-03 7.3L's, which seem to be a great engine and in a great truck. I've looked at quite a few fords and they drive actually pretty nice. However, recently I found some information about the roll-over safety of the super duty trucks, they have no roll-over protection as the roof and supports aren't strong enough to hold the weight of the truck so the roofs collapse severely in the event of a roll over. Their height also doesn't help them in their stability. ***Safety is a huge thing for me, as I have been on scene and seen pictures of very severe accidents and I need to have a safe truck.***

Just the other day I started to look into the Ford F150's, 2004 and newer, so it would be the newer body style with a crew cab most likely. It'd also have the 5.4L V8 engine, so I think I could expect 19-20 MPG's on the highway? And from looking online, I've found that the towing capacity of an F150 in the year range I'm looking at will be either 8200lbs or 9200lbs, so as much or more than my current 6.5 diesel. But I also need stopping power as my 14' trailer doesn't have brakes (next trailer will be having brakes), I only tow one mower and some grass/leaves, but I want to make sure that this truck will stop that trailer without issue?

So if anyone can give me a good review of a 2004 or newer F150 that would be awesome!!!

greengiant9963
04-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I have the 2004 F150 with the 5.4 V-8. Highway your looking at around 17. I don't use this truck for work. But for what you are towing you should be fine.

Milwaukee
04-12-2010, 11:09 PM
My Uncle have 07 Lincoln Mark LT. Mostly I drive miles on it to his deer camp. I log like 10K miles on it.

We get 23 mpg if you stay 63 mph with cruise control.

75-80 mph you get 14 mpg.

But honest If I were you I wouldn't dare to pick F150 for work. Tow 6K pound trailer get you 8 mpg.

This is one why he got F350 with 7.3L he get 20 mpg hwy and tow 10K pound camper he get 16-17 mpg.

He is sell his 2000 F350 it only 90K miles. Came from Florida.

mowerbrad
04-12-2010, 11:34 PM
I do lawn care part-time so I only tow a trailer 2 days a week (not full days usually). Otherwise I will be using the truck to drive around town and about drive to my paramedic class 2 days a week (highway driving then). Eventually it will tow a 16' (maybe 18') trailer with 2 mowers and brakes on the trailer.

Seeing the pictures of the F250/F350 rollover accidents really made me think twice (not saying that I won't get one, just need to take into consideration). I know that the 2004 and newer F150's have great safety ratings which is VERY important to me. I would have thought that with the size and "beefyness" of the super duty series trucks, they would be a little better in accidents, but I guess I would be wrong. The F150 appears to be a little safer dispite being smaller in size.

The one thing I'm unsure of is switching from a diesel to a gasser. I like the way diesels drive, I can't say exactly what it is, but they just drive differently. I personally like the way they drive over the gas trucks that I've driven. With a diesel I don't need to worry about nearing its maximum towing capacity, so I will always have plenty of power to spare and can even tow heavier loads if need be.

Another big issue for me is that with the F150 I can afford a newer truck (2004-2006) but with an F250/F350 I will get an older truck (1999-2003). So I also have to take that into consideration and honestly, I like the interior of the newer F150's better than the 250's and 350's I'm looking at.

Lots to think about for me.

Milwaukee
04-12-2010, 11:43 PM
We have several superduty trucks.

It impossible to roll over until you was idiot to turn tight at 50-100 mph.

But E350 van is very prone to roll over so we only can turn 25 mph or less.

At FTE there lot members that got roll over in F250 they made it without hurt.

But I wouldn't use F150 for that. Let say it fall apart when reach 150K miles.

One of my neighbor bought 2005 F150 with 150K for $4K It turn to be piece of junk. It was constructor truck. They have goose neck hitch and trailer hitch on frame were rip off. They end replaced rear axle and weld frame for hitch.

dhunterd08
04-13-2010, 12:06 AM
I have an 04 FX4 Supercab 5.4 up from a 97xl 4.2. I am seriously in love with it. My only regret is i have to get it so dirty! My trailer doesn't have breaks either and the biggest test i have put on it was last friday. 3 pallets of sod(2 in trailer one in bed) Becuase of rain the guy said they weighed about 2000lbs each. When they put the first one in the bed it squated pretty low and i was kind of worried, but as soon as i got on the road(about 43 miles to my job! about 2/3 highway) it was like realizing how much i loved it the first day i got it. Did great. I could feel it, but it still didn't have to get much above 3000 rpms and idles steadied at about 2000 going 60-70. as far as reliability i got it at 68000 and it now has 86000 and nothing but routine maintenance and respect. Pulling my daily load around the trailer might as well not even be there. Like i said all you will regret is getting such a pretty truck dirty. I got mine for 14500 cash that was last august and it was one owner and i looked for a solid year for a truck that was taken care of like i take care of mine

mowerbrad
04-13-2010, 10:41 AM
I have an 04 FX4 Supercab 5.4 up from a 97xl 4.2. I am seriously in love with it. My only regret is i have to get it so dirty! My trailer doesn't have breaks either and the biggest test i have put on it was last friday. 3 pallets of sod(2 in trailer one in bed) Becuase of rain the guy said they weighed about 2000lbs each. When they put the first one in the bed it squated pretty low and i was kind of worried, but as soon as i got on the road(about 43 miles to my job! about 2/3 highway) it was like realizing how much i loved it the first day i got it. Did great. I could feel it, but it still didn't have to get much above 3000 rpms and idles steadied at about 2000 going 60-70. as far as reliability i got it at 68000 and it now has 86000 and nothing but routine maintenance and respect. Pulling my daily load around the trailer might as well not even be there. Like i said all you will regret is getting such a pretty truck dirty. I got mine for 14500 cash that was last august and it was one owner and i looked for a solid year for a truck that was taken care of like i take care of mine

Thanks for the review!!!!

I want to be very happy with my truck as I plan to keep it for the next 8 years or so. I'll put roughly 10k per year on it, maybe a little more, but probably about 100k over the entire time I own the truck. So i'd like to buy one that has less than 100k already on it and I have found quite a few that are in the $14000 range that have around 80k on them, so they are contenders.

Prior to looking at the F150's I thought I was pretty set on a superduty, but now the F150's are also looking really good to me (along with the superduties too). So its tough for me to decide whether I want to "step down" to a half ton gasser or stay with a 3/4ton+ diesel. Obviously, the diesel has alot of benefits but so does the F150.

Anyone have any experience with both trucks by any chance?

unkownfl
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Get a headache rack for the superduty and add to the ROP. by the way if you roll one over it doesn't matter what you have they all suck. The f150 is no better for roll overs. All trucks have a low crash rating compared to cars because of the weight and how they rate them. They test them hitting a fixed object. Hit another car that is lighter with a higher crash rating and see what happens.

Cummins343
04-13-2010, 12:51 PM
The F150 with the 5.4 triton is a great truck. Plenty of power and good towing capacity for a 1/2 ton. You can really beat that truck up and it will still keep goin.

dhunterd08
04-13-2010, 01:50 PM
I read your first post again and i thought i would mention a couple of things about the truck before you make that purchase(due to your comment about repair on the duramax). From much research myself i know a little about the common stuff

Issues:
Spark Plugs-used to break in the heads all the time and have heard horror stories of 1300-2000 spark plug changes. DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF. Been talking to ford dealers since i got mine and my dealer said they got a new tool designed for this and they havent had one break in a couple months so your good there.
infamous clicking or w/e with 5.4- People say at a certain mileage it starts making a weird noise although it doesnt harm the truck. I dont have this yet.....
Wet Mats-check under the matts of the truck you buy i have heard a lot about water leaking through and causing big issues and costly repairs.
Rear Differential-One truck i almost bought just felt kind of loose almost when driving it. I couldnt put my finger on what was wrong so i went to good old F150 Forums and looked it up. Sure enough they described exactly what i felt and a couple of days later they needed a new differential.
Finally-do yourself a favor and get ceramic brake pads the brake dust is terrible. just a cosmetic thing.

Hope this helps! Trust me i have been there

petroskie
04-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I have a 03 f150 and tow a 14' trailer with no brakes and it does great, has the small v8 but with the trailer loaded i get 10mpg in town and 12 on the freeway no joke, stops good, but i have slotted and dimpled rotors and BCM brake pads front and rear, expensive brakes and rotors but WOW what a world of difference, and i got bags in the rear to help level the load if it gets too heavy. very very happy with my f150, and in the summer it gets a full detail once a month, keeps it looking clean and its a tax deduction for vehicle maintance

mowerbrad
04-13-2010, 03:28 PM
I have to say, I love the interiors of the 2004+ F150's but I don't want to make my decision based just on looks and interior.

unkownfl
04-13-2010, 03:32 PM
I have to say, I love the interiors of the 2004+ F150's but I don't want to make my decision based just on looks and interior.

The 04+ 5.4 have a different cylinder head and they have more threads for the spark plugs. 04+ have a bigger payload capacity and beefier autos than the pre 04 models. Downfall is the 5.5 or 6ft box no long box for a crew cab in an f150 compared to the superdutys.

mowerbrad
04-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Well for me no matter if it is a superduty or an F150 it will have the short box on it. I really don't like driving the crew cab long box trucks, just too long for my liking.

unkownfl
04-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Yea my superduty is a short box but I don't use the box as its not a work truck for the most part. My 1/2 ton trucks are all long box because I haul debris from palms and crap and have a tool box. Why don't you consider a Silverado?

mowerbrad
04-13-2010, 11:05 PM
I guess I shouldn't say that I've ruled out the Chevy/GMC's....I should probably look a little more into them.

I'm so indecisive about this whole "new truck" thing, its driving me nuts. I don't want to buy a 1/2 ton and then regret it later on, nor do I want to buy a diesel and regret it later. And since I can actually spend some time looking for a truck, I want to make sure that I get the EXACT truck I want. I've been searching for over 3 months and nothing has really stood out, I've found a couple I like...but they just don't stand out like I would hope.

unkownfl
04-13-2010, 11:18 PM
I guess I shouldn't say that I've ruled out the Chevy/GMC's....I should probably look a little more into them.

I'm so indecisive about this whole "new truck" thing, its driving me nuts. I don't want to buy a 1/2 ton and then regret it later on, nor do I want to buy a diesel and regret it later. And since I can actually spend some time looking for a truck, I want to make sure that I get the EXACT truck I want. I've been searching for over 3 months and nothing has really stood out, I've found a couple I like...but they just don't stand out like I would hope.

Well speaking from experience the 1/2 is way easier to drive around town. I can pull 5k without issues and trailer has no brakes. I have 3 1/2 tons and the 1 ton up top. I only use the 1 ton to pull the boat and cars around on the highway as the 1/2 can pull them fine just not at 70mph in O/D. The diesel is great for showing off and being able to tow about anything you want but for part time lawn mowing and personal use I wouldn't get one. Without a warranty you will hate life in the newer diesels as they just aren't as reliable. I can work on either myself so its not much of an issue for me but this isn't the case for everyone. I pay more in insurance for the 1 ton not much like 10 bucks per month. Fuel is a plus in the diesel about 15 mowing lawns instead of 10-12 with the 1/2 tons which are all v6's.

lukem
04-14-2010, 02:31 PM
I've got on F150 and it will pull the equipment listed in your sig no problem in "normal" driving. If you were pulling it up a mountain pass @ 75mph it would struggle.

I will warn you, coming from a diesel to a gasser it will seem that the truck is stuggling to pull it, but it's not. Don't let downshifts and RPMs on the gasser cloud your judgement...that's what they are build to do.

There are many, many truck forums were you can get a ton of opinions. I would try to test drive one with your trailer hooked up if they will let you...prob will to make a sale.

mowerbrad
04-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm still not quite sure if I really want to make the switch to a gas truck. I know that repairs will usually be cheaper, I can get a newer truck....but I'm just so unsure. I personally think that a diesel tows smoother than a gasser and I like how they accelerate better (not sure what the difference is but there is something different about how a diesel and gas accelerate).

I really doubt anyone will let me test drive a truck with my trailer on it. I consider myself a dealer's "worst nightmare" as I actually know what I'm looking for and have some mechanical sense. I've had one dealer that tried to get me to put a deposit on every truck he showed me (over about 2 months time), but I never did so he doesn't want to work with me on finding a truck anymore. Plus, they want me to finance when I'm going to pay cash. I walk into a dealership and know exactly what I'm looking for, I don't mind test driving a few to get a feel for them, but I know if they are the right truck for me or not.

Cummins343
04-14-2010, 06:27 PM
If your gonna go down the gas route, by far get the F150, as for a diesel? Well you probably know what I'm gonna say just from my profile name!:weightlifter: Can't beat 'em!

mowerbrad
04-14-2010, 06:49 PM
If your gonna go down the gas route, by far get the F150, as for a diesel? Well you probably know what I'm gonna say just from my profile name!:weightlifter: Can't beat 'em!

When I bought my 6.5, I bought it because I got one heck of a deal on it, and honestly I wouldn't have been able to find a truck cheaper. I really didn't have a preference in gas or diesel back then (I was about 15 at the time), but after driving my diesel for the last 4 year, I am very partial to diesels now. I like driving them better, I like that they are bigger in size and have higher capacites.

But like I said, I can get an '05 F150 vs an '01 F250/F350....so I can get a truck several years newer by going with a 1/2 ton. Sure, I'd love to have a newer truck, but am I going to be happy with it, seeing as I will be stepping down to a 1/2 ton? I don't want to regret buying a 1/2 ton 1 month after I buy it...I don't have the money to piss away in buying another truck. So, I'm thinking this whole thing over, making sure that I get the RIGHT truck for me, one that I'll be happy with for the next 8 years.

zabmasonry
04-14-2010, 07:00 PM
on the harassing dealer's front. . . back in december when we were buying a new car, we looked at a 99 Volvo XC that was for sale at a dodge dealer for "wholesale". We test drove it, and said "maybe, lets get a look at the mechanicals" I said to the salesman, any chance there is an open service bay that this can get put up on? surprisingly they did have one, and let me take a look at it. I spent a 45 minutes going through it with a fine tooth comb. Ended up that it needed a new A arm bushing, and the turbo was leaking. I said thanks, but no thanks, not unless you knock at least a grand off the price. Salesman says, Nope we have somebody else coming in tonight to take a look at it. A week later (after we had bought a new car) salesman calls to tell us that the other person had taken it to a mechanic and they said the same thing, so the dealership was willing to negotiate.

Why are you getting rid of your older chevy?

unkownfl
04-14-2010, 07:19 PM
I just noticed your signature an 05+ f150 has about the same capabilities as the 98 3/4 ton if not more.

mowerbrad
04-14-2010, 08:59 PM
After looking at the F150 specs, I should be able to find a 150 that has a 9200lbs towing capacity...I'm pretty sure my 6.5 only has an 8500lbs towing capacity. I also compared the GVWR of the two trucks and the 150 has a 7200lbs GVWR while my truck has an 8600lbs GVWR, so I would be stepping down by quite a bit with that.

J&R Landscaping
04-14-2010, 10:02 PM
You can find an F150 HD model with an 8200lb GVW. I was looking at a 2006 F150 hd ext cab 8 foot bed XLT edition. Nice truck and its got a posi rear that did some great burn-outs. lol

mowerbrad
04-14-2010, 10:17 PM
If I put air bags or an extra leaf spring in the rear, would that help any with my payload capacity?

I finally found the GAWR for the front and rear on the F150 and its a big difference compared to my current 2500....

Front GAWR: F150= 3750lbs ---- My truck= 4500lbs
Rear GAWR: F150= 3850lbs ---- My truck= 6000lbs

unkownfl
04-14-2010, 10:33 PM
If I put air bags or an extra leaf spring in the rear, would that help any with my payload capacity?

I finally found the GAWR for the front and rear on the F150 and its a big difference compared to my current 2500....

Front GAWR: F150= 3750lbs ---- My truck= 4500lbs
Rear GAWR: F150= 3850lbs ---- My truck= 6000lbs

Yea but you will only have a 6ft box how much do you think you could fit in there? For towing a trailer you only need to look at the GVWR unless you have 1/2 ton of tongue weight or more.

unkownfl
04-14-2010, 10:38 PM
never mind read it wrong

petroskie
04-14-2010, 11:59 PM
bags are great i have a set in my f150 so it always sits level, but dont ever for get with bags when you load up that truck and you get no sag its nice but you can easily over load the rear axle, i know i always have to remind my self when i hook up a trailer with a bobcat on it, i get zero sag so then i get a load of mulch in the bed, plus tools and people and the dog and before i know it i have WAY over loaded the 1/2 ton. but the f150 has yet to fail me, and i have the "light" 1/2 ton with the 4.6 V8, auto, and the lil 8.8 rear end but i can still pull a bobcat down the freeway at 70 without breaking a sweat and i have 200k on the thing!:dizzy:

zabmasonry
04-15-2010, 10:46 AM
When ford states the "Towing Capacity" of a truck, they are simply stating what the most weight it has the power to pull up a hill, NOT HOW MUCH IT CAN LEGALLY OR SAFELY TOW.

you saw this in the axle ratings, look at the the GCWR, I'm guessing it's not to much above 10 grand, maybe up to 11 grand. Take a 5500 pound truck out of that, and you are looking at a legal towing capacity of around 5000 pounds. If you are fine with that then great, otherwise, I'd say get the 3/4 ton.

As for 3/4 diesels, I'd say buy whatever you can find that's a good deal, and you can afford. I'd generally advise folks, not to go with a 6.5, but you know that deal already. Personally after the better part of a year looking, I'm thinking of buying a dead '05 and later chevy 3/4 ton gasser, and see if I can swap a HD cummins (out of something medium duty) into it. either that or wait to mahindra finally get's their act together.

mowerbrad
04-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Well the GCWR on an F150 ('05) with 3.73 gears is 15000lbs, which follows along with the 9200lbs max towing rate.

unkownfl
04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Well the GCWR on an F150 ('05) with 3.73 gears is 15000lbs, which follows along with the 9200lbs max towing rate.

Brad, your right the other dude is wrong or confused how trucks are rated.