PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy it?

Huckster
04-12-2010, 09:22 PM
I am looking at a 52" Scag Tiger Cub with 977hrs. It has just had both hydros replaced. One was replaced because it was leaking and was done by the owner. Within one hour the other was leaking. It was replaced by a shop. The shop said metal shavings were found so they flushed the whole system. Am I asking for wheel motor problems down the road if I buy this. I know when a pump fails or starts to fail metal is sent through the wheel motor and then to the filter and then the tank. The pumps did not fail to where the machine would not move but metal was found. How concerned should I be? They want $3500 for the mower and the spindle driven grass catcher.

Huck

DT Lawn Care
04-12-2010, 11:50 PM
I am looking at a 52" Scag Tiger Cub with 977hrs. It has just had both hydros replaced. One was replaced because it was leaking and was done by the owner. Within one hour the other was leaking. It was replaced by a shop. The shop said metal shavings were found so they flushed the whole system. Am I asking for wheel motor problems down the road if I buy this. I know when a pump fails or starts to fail metal is sent through the wheel motor and then to the filter and then the tank. The pumps did not fail to where the machine would not move but metal was found. How concerned should I be? They want $3500 for the mower and the spindle driven grass catcher.

Huck

What I would do is pay the amount you would pay for the mower with good wheel motors MINUS the amount it will cost you to replace them. I believe wheel motors run about $500 apiece, so would you pay $4500 for this mower in great working shape?

Huckster
04-12-2010, 11:57 PM
My question is if a wheel motor goes will it take the pumps out again. in theory it shouldn't as from the wheel motor the fluid goes to the filter but I am not a professional mechanic just know the basics from having owned many.

piston slapper
04-13-2010, 09:56 AM
The wheel motors usually fail when the gearater gets worn out. They seldom grenade and take out the pumps. If the system was flushed properly and the filter replaced, you should be OK. Test the wheel motors when they are warmed up. Put the mower against a tree and see if both tires spin.