View Full Version : What if you were offered...
04-12-2010, 11:10 PM
What if you were offered a golf course superintendent position at a club that
has new ownership and has doubled memership every year since aquisition?
Heck no, I like being my own boss
Heck yeah, sounds like fun
I'm curious to see what you guys have to say. :)
04-12-2010, 11:14 PM
I'll never work for someone else as long as I live.
Or after I'm gone either.
04-12-2010, 11:16 PM
What kinda money, benefits, hours. If I could get in there at 4am and out by 1 with great pay, benefits I would consider. I like golf so that would have to be in the deal also.
04-13-2010, 06:53 AM
I'll give you a few things to find out in no particular order
1. Is there support staff in place, assistant supt., mechanic, spray tech? You can't do it alone.
2. What is their budget
3. What kind of irrigation systems there and is there a good water source
4. What are their expectations and level of maintenance? Everyone wants Augusta National, untill you tell them how much it costs to maintain it.
5. Will they send you to the GCSAA convention? This will become your vacation.
6. Pro/GM nice? they can make your life hell
7. Turfgrass doesn't know it's your son's/daughter, birthday, 4th July, Sunday afternoon etc
8. I played less golf because all I could see is things we needed to do and felt guilty spending more time on the course than I already was away from my family.
I've thought about it a couple of times over the years, there's nothing like seeing the sunrise on the course, hitting the irrigation and watching it sling water 70 feet, or striping up fairways with perfect lines. It does however take alot of time and you're only as good as your last season and they will replace you in a min. then you think why did I worry so much about this place?
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.