PDA

View Full Version : What do I charge to spray Roundup?

outrunjason
06-28-2002, 03:54 PM
I need to spray 5,375sqft of grass for one of my customers. I have no idea what I should charge him for this. This is a business and this is on the side of the business where customers can't see it and he does not want any grass there.

Thanks, Jason

Big G
06-28-2002, 04:23 PM
Are you properly licensed to spray herbacides? Most states require a person to be a Certified Commercial Applicator in order to apply pestacides or Herbicides anywhere other than his own home.

In order to work up a price you will need to know:
-how much Roundup you will use in order to treat this area.
-what your cost is for that much Roundup
-how long it will take you to apply this to his property.
-how much per hour you wish to earn.

I have no way of knowing how much per hour you charge, your overhead, what type of equipment you are using to apply this etc.

Basically, no offense but if you have to ask how much to charge you should probably not be doing this and you probably are not properly licensed or trained in the application of Herbicides.

I recommend sub contracting this to someone else. Find out how much they will charge and add 10% to that for yourself. You should also be aware that this will not prevent grass or weeds from growing there for more than about a month or so. Unless your customer is willing to have it retreated every 4 to 6 weeks, this will not be what he is looking for.

Good luck

Big G

outrunjason
06-28-2002, 04:31 PM
No, i am not licensed. I hate working with chemicals. But, I don't want to loose this customer either. It is a large property and makes up a lot of my income.

I am not so concerned about making a profit on this. As long as I can keep the customer. I just want to know what the average guy would charge to come out and do this as if I was the customer.

I know that some grass will come back but as it is right now a lot of roundup will help.

Thanks, Jason

Sean Adams
06-28-2002, 05:25 PM
Big G made 2 very good points Jason...

1. Should be careful with the license issue

2. Weeds will be back before you know it. Check to make sure he does not think this is a one-time cure-all application.

tremor
06-28-2002, 09:06 PM
Jason,

1.) Get a licence.

2.) As much as you can get is usually aboput right.

3.) If neither option sounds right, subcontract a reputable legal applicator from your area. The client should greatly appreciate your honest effort to do the right thing.

Steve

BadAndy
06-28-2002, 09:27 PM
jason

I'd say just spray the area and charge him $70, but while you are doing it be sure to watch out for LawnSite.com members!<G>

mowerman90
06-28-2002, 09:38 PM
Licensd applicators in my area (Central Florida) charge .02 per sq ft

outrunjason
06-29-2002, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the help everyone.

I will charge this guy what I can. 02 per sqaure foot is reasonable. One the licenese stuff, well lets just say I am not going to get one just to do this.

Thanks, Jason

cantoo
07-01-2002, 12:51 AM
mowerman90, do they really get .02 per square foot? That works out to well over $800 an acre after roundup costs and only lasts a month. I can see that price for small areas but anything over 1/4 acre would have to be a lot less.
I do driveway and commercial parking lots and we get no where near that kind of money.

KirbysLawn
07-01-2002, 01:15 AM
Cantoo, have youconsidered Sahara for the gravel driveway? Apply once a year and you are done.