PDA

View Full Version : Weedkiller strong enough for ivy, but won't kill shrubs?

whitenack
04-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Hey folks,

I have some ivy that is growing up through some established shrubs. I would like to kill all the ivy, once and for all, but save the shrubs. Obviously, I could dig up all the shrubs, blast the area, and then replant new shrubs, but that costs money, plus there is no guarantee that the ivy doesn't find a way back in after a year or two.

Is there a weed killer that is strong enough to kill the ivy but won't harm the shrubs? The shrubs we are dealing with are boxwoods, barberry, azalea.

Thanks,

zanemoseley
04-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Why not just manually remove the ivy, you're going to have to once it dies anyway. Then you can find the main section of the plant and do a spot application of glyphosate to kill the roots. I do seem to remember that woody shrubs and small trees take a much higher dose than plants but I still wouldn't spray them with a weak dose, its still gonna damage them to some extent.

whitenack
04-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Why not just manually remove the ivy, you're going to have to once it dies anyway. Then you can find the main section of the plant and do a spot application of glyphosate to kill the roots. I do seem to remember that woody shrubs and small trees take a much higher dose than plants but I still wouldn't spray them with a weak dose, its still gonna damage them to some extent.

Thanks for the reply. I don't believe I would be able to get the job done by hand. This ivy is everywhere and I don't think I would be able to get it all.

zanemoseley
04-13-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm just saying to rip up the runners and the bulk of the plant material. Then you can effectively spot treat the main areas that have to main roots.

whitenack
04-13-2010, 10:54 AM
By the way, if someone sees the other post that I started about landscaping my home and notices that I said I have removed all the shrubs, I have other areas of the yard that has the ivy too, where I will not be removing the shrubs, and have a rental property that has ivy growing in shrubs that will not be removed.

Didn't want anyone to think I was lying across posts.

Kiril
04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
The only real option that I know of is to do it manually. Any herbicide you spray that will be strong enough to kill the ivy will most likely kill everything else. As already point out, you need to find the main plant and all the rooted nodes and pull/dig them out. If you are thorough, very little of it will come back and if any does it can easily be dealt with.

rlitman
04-13-2010, 11:37 AM
I removed some Ivy a couple of years ago. It was rooted everywhere; even into my stucco. Just pulled it all up, and it never came back.
It roots everywhere, but at least in my case, there was no deeply rooted part. It was actually quite easy to remove, since it stayed pretty well connected as I pulled up very long "arms".

waterman1971
04-17-2010, 08:59 AM
I had the opposite situation that you have. I was trying to save the ivy and eradicate weeds. Luckily there was a small section i could experiment on. Honestly the ivy was EXTREMELY resilient. I wish you the best of luck!

whitenack
04-17-2010, 09:08 AM
I had the opposite situation that you have. I was trying to save the ivy and eradicate weeds. Luckily there was a small section i could experiment on. Honestly the ivy was EXTREMELY resilient. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks. Yeah, that is my worry. That ivy is EXTREMELY risilient.

I found some ivy killer spray at Lowes and am trying that out. Sprayed it earlier this week in places that didn't have shrubs. It is killing off the young, tender leaves but no affect on the established leaves just yet.

betmr
04-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Here is something you can try. With loppers, cut off the Ivy down low, and paint the cut with round up, this should get the chemical into the roots and kill off the plant. You are going to have to put some labor into it. I don't know of a chemical that will only affect the Ivy. So you will have to find a way to get the chemical only on the Ivy.

drumz2129
04-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Here is something you can try. With loppers, cut off the Ivy down low, and paint the cut with round up, this should get the chemical into the roots and kill off the plant. You are going to have to put some labor into it. I don't know of a chemical that will only affect the Ivy. So you will have to find a way to get the chemical only on the Ivy.

This is what I was going to recommend. I usually keep a small mason jar with one part Killzall and one part Grazon P+D with a few drops Half Pint (surfactant) mixed in. I brush this mixture full strength onto the cut off stump. I have also had great success with this mixture on tallow trees.