PDA

View Full Version : Stihl vs. Echo

jtruck618
04-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm looking for a new trimmer and leaning toward the Stihl FS 55. However, there is an Echo dealer in my area as well. Both feel good but not sure which to get. I have a Stihl with curved shaft now but I want a straight shaft. So, can I go wrong with either. Any reason I should pick one over the other?
Posted via Mobile Device

RugerRedhawk
04-13-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm not a pro, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. My echo SRM-21 is about 15 years old and still runs like a top with very little maintenance ever been done on it.

whitenack
04-15-2010, 08:36 AM
I am in the same boat. Looking at Stihl vs. Echo. The only difference I can really see is that Stihls have bigger engines, and maybe a reputation of being heavier duty. Since the price is the same, I am leaning to Stihl.

RugerRedhawk
04-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Stihls have bigger engines, and maybe a reputation of being heavier duty.

I think if you had to pick one to be the one with a reputation for being heavier duty, I think echo would be the one. Not saying the stihl isn't good though. For a homeowner I think either of them will last a lifetime.

whitenack
04-15-2010, 10:23 AM
I think if you had to pick one to be the one with a reputation for being heavier duty, I think echo would be the one. Not saying the stihl isn't good though. For a homeowner I think either of them will last a lifetime.

Interesting. I guess that goes to show how companies can have different reputations in different parts of the countries. With Echo sold in the big box stores and Stihl only available through dealers, the fact that Echos are smaller engine'd, and the fact that echos and stihls look almost identical, I'd say most folks in our area believe Echo is a low-cost option made by Stihl.

RugerRedhawk
04-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Just another thing to think about, from what I can see the stihls have a 2 year consumer warranty while the echos have a 5 year. Not sure what entirely they cover, but thought I'd mention it. Really I think it's a Ford vs. Chevy type of thing for the most part. Maybe buy whichever one you can get from a dealer you like more.

fredmullegun
04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Interesting. I guess that goes to show how companies can have different reputations in different parts of the countries. With Echo sold in the big box stores and Stihl only available through dealers, the fact that Echos are smaller engine'd, and the fact that echos and stihls look almost identical, I'd say most folks in our area believe Echo is a low-cost option made by Stihl.

Stihl uses a 4-mix engine so you cannot compare engine CC and think you are comparing horsepower. The engine echo use are stronger when CC is the same.

whitenack
04-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Stihl uses a 4-mix engine so you cannot compare engine CC and think you are comparing horsepower. The engine echo use are stronger when CC is the same.

Thanks for this info. I haven't heard this. Is there more info on this somewhere?

fredmullegun
04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for this info. I haven't heard this. Is there more info on this somewhere?

Well I just bought an Echo 280T which has a 3 cc smaller engine than the Poulan Pro it replaced. Guess which one has more power?

whitenack
04-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Well I just bought an Echo 280T which has a 3 cc smaller engine than the Poulan Pro it replaced. Guess which one has more power?

The 'T' in Echo's product line stands for high torque. That may be where the extra power is coming from.

And, just to clarify, 4-mix isn't the same thing as 4-stroke, which would be less powerful than 2-stroke. All stihls are 4-mix, but still 2-stroke, right?

whitenack
04-15-2010, 03:22 PM
The 'T' in Echo's product line stands for high torque. That may be where the extra power is coming from.

And, just to clarify, 4-mix isn't the same thing as 4-stroke, which would be less powerful than 2-stroke. All stihls are 4-mix, but still 2-stroke, right?

I STAND CORRECTED - 4-mix is a 4-stroke. Now, any more information on how a 28cc 4-stroke compares to a 21cc 2-stroke?

fredmullegun
04-15-2010, 04:42 PM
I STAND CORRECTED - 4-mix is a 4-stroke. Now, any more information on how a 28cc 4-stroke compares to a 21cc 2-stroke?

Well you obviously know more than me about my own equipment so I doubt I can tell you anything.

whitenack
04-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Well you obviously know more than me about my own equipment so I doubt I can tell you anything.

Woah dude. Not sure that came from. I appreciate your information.

jtruck618
04-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Glad this thread finally took off. However, I just sold a Stihl FS 45 which was not a 4 mix or 4 stroke. It was a two stroke as I mixed oil and gas. Not sure where the idea that Stihl's are not two strokes came from cause it is wrong. If anyone else has input on this I would like to hear it. I handled an Echo at Home Depot today and it felt pretty nice. Won't buy one there because a small shop in my area sales them.

whitenack
04-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Glad this thread finally took off. However, I just sold a Stihl FS 45 which was not a 4 mix or 4 stroke. It was a two stroke as I mixed oil and gas. Not sure where the idea that Stihl's are not two strokes came from cause it is wrong. If anyone else has input on this I would like to hear it. I handled an Echo at Home Depot today and it felt pretty nice. Won't buy one there because a small shop in my area sales them.

At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, here is the info I found on the website (http://www.stihl.com/isapi/default.asp?contenturl=/knowhow/producttechnics/stihlengines/4mix/default.htm) about 4-mix. Looks like they have made a 4-stroke that still mixes oil and gas.

bluridge
04-16-2010, 06:30 PM
I read this somewhere...forgot where but some folks claimed Echo does not honor their warranty. If you are buying landscape stuff and think Echo will cover for 5 year for residental products...make damn sure they do as you think.

For me...the price of a stihl product with 2 year is good enough for me...I would not want ot chance a 5 year warranty and be screwed. Granted I have had one of the Echo models for 8 years now (trimmer) so I ain't complaining but if I was to buy new...I'd go Stihl every time...they are in the landscape biz.

Ruben Rocha
04-16-2010, 08:07 PM
If you really research both products you will find the same holding corporation owns both of them.
So they are both great products. Just a matter of dealer support in your area.

joel29m
04-16-2010, 08:15 PM
to me they are all good, just different colors and name, like ford and chevy.

IndianSprings
04-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Stihl and Echo onwed by the same company, lol? No way, not even close, put the pipe down and back away. Stihl is owned by the Stihl family, no holding companies period, just Hans Peter Stihl and his immediate family, family owned and run. If your a homeowner look at the latest issue of consumer reports the top three Home Owner recommendations are Stihl. In fact six of of the top ten are Stihl. Good luck getting any warranty out of Echo, our dealer who carried both Stihl and Echo just gave up Echo due the fact he couldn't get them to honor warranties. Stihl make a complete line of trimmers, both two stroke and four stroke. We have four Stihls 3 FS 80 2 strokes and a FS 90R four stroke, all have been bullet proof, one 80 is twenty years old and stihl runs great. Shindawia also makes excellent string trimmers, we had a dealer give us one as partial payment on a trailer we sold him, it is a 242, so far we have been very impressed with the Shindawia as well, only time will tell if it is as durable as the Stihls. I wouldn't thimk twice, it would be a Stihl, bought at a dealer. No big box store, want the service if every needed.

whitenack
04-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Stihl and Echo onwed by the same company, lol? No way, not even close, put the pipe down and back away. Stihl is owned by the Stihl family, no holding companies period, just Hans Peter Stihl and his immediate family, family owned and run. If your a homeowner look at the latest issue of consumer reports the top three Home Owner recommendations are Stihl. In fact six of of the top ten are Stihl. Good luck getting any warranty out of Echo, our dealer who carried both Stihl and Echo just gave up Echo due the fact he couldn't get them to honor warranties. Stihl make a complete line of trimmers, both two stroke and four stroke. We have four Stihls 3 FS 80 2 strokes and a FS 90R four stroke, all have been bullet proof, one 80 is twenty years old and stihl runs great. Shindawia also makes excellent string trimmers, we had a dealer give us one as partial payment on a trailer we sold him, it is a 242, so far we have been very impressed with the Shindawia as well, only time will tell if it is as durable as the Stihls. I wouldn't thimk twice, it would be a Stihl, bought at a dealer. No big box store, want the service if every needed.

Yeah, 6 of the top 8 are stihl. The other 2 in the top eight were Echos...the only 2 echos they tested. Is it odd that they tested so many Stihls and so few Echos?

shotgunshane
04-17-2010, 12:27 AM
It's Echo and Shindaiwa that merged and are owned by the same company.
Posted via Mobile Device