PDA

View Full Version : What type of seed to use

tmanmi
04-13-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm looking at over seeding or slit seeding an area that surrounds a KBG seeding. The KBG seeding area is my main yard and the new area to be seeded was basically hilly pasture area that surrounds it that I have been mowing for about the past 5 years. The existing grasses are getting overtaken slowly by broadleaf weeds. It is fairly delicate and it could be prone to erosion so I need to get some kind of grass established. Is there something that will not invade the KBG that is less expensive than the KBG or should I quite being a cheap a$$ and just pay for the KBG? The area to be seeded is going to be about 2 acres. I am in southern Michigan

cpa4t9r
04-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Not sure about MI zone, but I would think that a tall fescue or TTTF/KBG blend would be the way to go (that's what most grow down here) - maybe even Perennial Rye. The TTTF won't spread unless you put a seed there. Gotta get the BL beat down to lessen the competition.

tmanmi
04-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Not sure about MI zone, but I would think that a tall fescue or TTTF/KBG blend would be the way to go (that's what most grow down here) - maybe even Perennial Rye. The TTTF won't spread unless you put a seed there. Gotta get the BL beat down to lessen the competition.

I was wondering if there was a fescue that wouldn't invade or that doesn't grow in clumps. I think I have some tall fescue in the KBG that looks like crap, maybe not turf type?. I'm afraid to kill off the BL until I get something seeded for fear of erosion. Thanks for the reply.

tombo82685
04-13-2010, 08:01 PM
I was wondering if there was a fescue that wouldn't invade or that doesn't grow in clumps. I think I have some tall fescue in the KBG that looks like crap, maybe not turf type?. I'm afraid to kill off the BL until I get something seeded for fear of erosion. Thanks for the reply.

Like that guy said, per rye or tttf would work, they are bunch grasses. Watch what types of fescure you get, because red fescue is a creeping grass and would invade. Other then that the only way they made invade the kbg is through dropping seed there or natural seeding process of the plant. The older versions of tall fescue are the thick leafy clumpy messes. Although, that clumpiness can be done with any bunch type grass that is broadcasted over compacted soil that was core aerated, it will only grow in the aeration holes given. If the seeding rate isn't proficient then you will get area where the grass doesn't fully fill in giving clumpiness.

RigglePLC
04-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Kill the broadleaves--it will be gradual enough that bare soil seldom results. Add your seed. A quality ryegrass is your best bet. It is hard to get bluegrass started in an overseeding situation. Then wait for a prediction of rain or a moist period and fertilize with a quality slow release fert. It will help to fill it in. Keep feeding it during rainy periods until it is thick enough for you.

betmr
04-14-2010, 09:21 PM
You like Kentucky Blue Grass? And you want a quick stand of Grass? If it's not too shady (You did not mention Sun Exposure) Then sow a 70% Perennial rye and 30% Blue Grass blend. There you go, a simple, common, Spring time mix of Cool season grass seed. Then, if you want more KBG, over seed in fall with high KBG blend. The only time I concern myself with Fescue, is in low Sun exposure. And I never use Tall Fescue for anything, that is some Ugly grass if you ask me.

RodneyK
04-14-2010, 11:53 PM
If you like KBG than use more in your original seeding. See why here:

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2007/08_03seedmix.htm

Overseeding KBG into rye doesn't work...I couldn't find the USGA article on that subject. It germinates but does not survive.

I agree that Tall Fescue is some ugly stuff!

RodneyK
04-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Found the article on blue into rye.

http://www.sroseed.com/resources/pdfs/articles/ryegrass_to_bluegrass07.pdf

I would use a 5 or 10% rye with a variety of KGBs making up the rest of the mix. It just takes too long for straight KGBs. Don't cheap out on seed. Really what are we talking an extra $100 to $200 for something that will be there for years. Maybe some straw mat in the delicate areas...

tmanmi
04-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Sounds like KBG with rye mix is the way to go. The area is always full sun. Thanks for everyone's replies. Time to start spraying.