PDA

View Full Version : Commercial 21" for 1/4 acre

fredmullegun
04-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Anyone have an estimate how long it would take to mow 1/4 acre with the exmark commercial 21"?

They are 899 at my dealer now and I checked them out buying some stuff for my trimmer. I had awesome experience moving from a homowners trimmer to a echo 280T so was wondering about this thing.

thanks

zanemoseley
04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Lets see how my math is:

Mowing deck = 21" or 1.75 feet wide
Walking speed = 3 mph = 15,840 feet/hr
Max square feet mowed per hour 27,720 = .63 acres
.25/.63 = .396 hrs = About 24 minutes

So round up to 30 minutes for turning, trimming and overlapping.

nepatsfan
04-13-2010, 07:31 PM
i got 28 minutes and 34 seconds by my calculations

unkownfl
04-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't waste my money on buying a commercial 21" Just get a toro personal pace or Husqvarna 21"

nepatsfan
04-13-2010, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't waste my money on buying a commercial 21" Just get a toro personal pace or Husqvarna 21"

i agree with this

zanemoseley
04-13-2010, 10:50 PM
I have a Troybilt 21" that I mowed about an acre with for 2 years and at times hated it between the clogging chute and the drive belt coming off. I say if you have money to burn buy the Exmark or Honda and take care of it, it should last a long time. If you'll feel the pain from dropping a grand then buy a $300 HD/Lowes like I have and deal with the occasional PITA.

unkownfl
04-13-2010, 11:00 PM
I have a Troybilt 21" that I mowed about an acre with for 2 years and at times hated it between the clogging chute and the drive belt coming off. I say if you have money to burn buy the Exmark or Honda and take care of it, it should last a long time. If you'll feel the pain from dropping a grand then buy a $300 HD/Lowes like I have and deal with the occasional PITA.

A troybilt is the bottom of the barrel.

lifetree
04-13-2010, 11:03 PM

i agree with this

I have to agree with this also !!

lifetree
04-13-2010, 11:06 PM
A troybilt is the bottom of the barrel.

Well, this may be true ... however, I've had for 5 years now and it's still going strong !! Let's see ... $ 330 price of mower / 5 years old = $ $66 per year ... sounds like a pretty good return to me. :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

zanemoseley
04-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Yeah my self propelled Troy Bilt with a Honda was $350 I think, I hardly call this bottom of the barrel. Perhaps a Weedeater $100 mower. If I had the money I'd rather buy a $1000 commercial and make it last 15 years than buy a $350 mower that lasts 5 years. Perhaps I'm just, 2 years of constantly shoving my hand in a gunked up discharge chute to pull out grass pulp and cramming my hand in a poorly designed belt shroud to re-seat the drive belt has put me in a bad mood. I might add that I've just got to use my Toro 40" hydro floating deck on my new yard twice and its an absolute pleasure to use.

unkownfl
04-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah my self propelled Troy Bilt with a Honda was $350 I think, I hardly call this bottom of the barrel. Perhaps a Weedeater $100 mower. If I had the money I'd rather buy a $1000 commercial and make it last 15 years than buy a $350 mower that lasts 5 years. Perhaps I'm just, 2 years of constantly shoving my hand in a gunked up discharge chute to pull out grass pulp and cramming my hand in a poorly designed belt shroud to re-seat the drive belt has put me in a bad mood. I might add that I've just got to use my Toro 40" hydro floating deck on my new yard twice and its an absolute pleasure to use.

Sure sounds like the troy bilt part is bottom of the barrel. The engine maybe good but the Troy bilt you admit sucks.... Seriously the exmark is not worth the price to get 15 maintenance free years out of a 21 keep dreaming.

zanemoseley
04-13-2010, 11:38 PM
So what should he get? The next step up at the big box stores is the JD for about $450 which looks nicer but from what I've heard its the same mower with a different color paint as Bad Boy is selling as well as others. So why wouldn't he get 15 years from a commercial 21" mower if he does routine maintenance? Say 30 minutes a mow time 35 mows a year = 17.5 hrs/yr = 262 hours over 15 years seems more than reasonable. He could have better luck than me though with a cheaper mower.

fredmullegun
04-14-2010, 12:01 AM
I was thinking to get the exmark because in the past the self propel mowers i have owned (last one was a TroyB which was a total POS) did not SELF PROPEL. I have a walmart special big wheel which is ok but the plastic wheels are starting to wear out.

I was thinking the large nice looking rubber tires of the exmark would propel pretty well.

passgas55
04-14-2010, 12:06 AM
My lot is 1/4 acre and it takes me right at a hour to mow with a 21" sp honda engine husky. I will bet 1 hr will be closer to your time. I just purchase my lawn mower and so far I am happy with it. Still got my 21, push, weigh a ton, won't die or fall apart John Deere. edit to add the new JDs lawn mowers are not as heavy/well made as they were 10+ years ago.

cgaengineer
04-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Take a look at a Snapper, either a residential unit or a commercial. Both are great mowers and share many parts. A Snapper mower will last a long time, they are built well and are easy to repair.

nepatsfan
04-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Take a look at a Snapper, either a residential unit or a commercial. Both are great mowers and share many parts. A Snapper mower will last a long time, they are built well and are easy to repair.

Honda or toro self propelled 21. You can buy one every three years for the price of a commercial. 15 years out of the exmark is not unreasonable for a homeowner but you still have to do maintenance to it. Things will break and need repair. Oil changes, blades, air filters, fuel filters, carb service. I would rather have a new homeowner mower every 3-4 years than a 10 year old exmark for the same price. You wouldn't even need a new one that soon but for the price you could afford to do that vs. the commercial one. If you are hell bent on the commercial one get it, no doubt its a good mower, just dont think you need it. In fact.....i run a decent size landscaping company we only use push mowers for areas of a condo complex and a couple other random places and I buy toro 21's self propelled. They are throw aways to me. I have one that is like 5 years old and one that is like 2 years old. They get banged around on the trailer, beat on and everything else. They are just push mowers to me I really dont care. They stand up to our abuse but they arent used that much but I guarantee they cut more than a 1/4 acre a week. Some guys in the south use those for their main mowers. It seems like in texas and other parts they have such small lawns that they use 21's. We use mainly big mowers so we don't need the small ones. it makes sense for them to spend more on a commercial one. To make a long story short....you really dont need the commercial one.

unkownfl
04-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Kinda funny that a huge state like Texas has tiny yards but a small state in New England have bigger yards just weird I guess. Seriously think you are going to find parts for that exmark in 5,10,15 years from now? Think age doesn't take it toll on machines just not use. Sitting ruins parts too so just running it for 30 cuts a year and then it sets all winter 15 times I just don't see it happening.

compton2010
04-14-2010, 05:29 PM
The $350 Toro Recyclers at Home Depot are fine for 1/4 acre.. For something a little more robust, buy a Torl SUPER recycler for around $500. You have to buy these at a Toro dealer (Not Home Depot). But most people swear by them. A $900 Exmark - while it is a really nice mower - is overkill.
http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/superrecycler/20092.html

fredmullegun
04-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Kinda funny that a huge state like Texas has tiny yards but a small state in New England have bigger yards just weird I guess. Seriously think you are going to find parts for that exmark in 5,10,15 years from now? Think age doesn't take it toll on machines just not use. Sitting ruins parts too so just running it for 30 cuts a year and then it sets all winter 15 times I just don't see it happening.

Well my parents have a 1 acre yard that is fenced and 12 acres with bobwire fence.

In Houston, my place is near downtown inside the loop so yes yards are smaller.

I doubt i could afford a blade of grass where you live.

nepatsfan
04-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Well my parents have a 1 acre yard that is fenced and 12 acres with bobwire fence.

Funny that I picked texas and thats where you are from. You dont even have the state listed. I guess I AM the savior. :cool2: I'll catch you guys later I'm going out to walk on water.

unkownfl
04-14-2010, 08:39 PM

Thats all the money you need I don't have grass nor a place to put it (Condo) Looking to buy outside of Windermere with a 3 car garage but its impossible to find anything that isn't foreclosed and have tons of liens. I sure hope Texas is nice as I can see I will be spending many years there if I decide to go into the AF.

fredmullegun
04-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Funny that I picked texas and thats where you are from. You dont even have the state listed. I guess I AM the savior. :cool2: I'll catch you guys later I'm going out to walk on water.

Being a pats fan I am sure you will just cheat and tape someone else walking on the water.

fritowrdo
04-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Anyone have an estimate how long it would take to mow 1/4 acre with the exmark commercial 21"?

They are 899 at my dealer now and I checked them out buying some stuff for my trimmer. I had awesome experience moving from a homowners trimmer to a echo 280T so was wondering about this thing.

thanks

Take the plung as I was in the same boat in 2007. Best purchase I ever made.

Been 3 years of nothing but gas and maintenance.

betmr
04-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Toro SR4 Super Recycler. The thing is great. Bag, side discharge, & mulches like no other. I've never been happier with a 21 incher.

nepatsfan
04-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Being a pats fan I am sure you will just cheat and tape someone else walking on the water.

wow ...really. I would buy a murray :laugh:
I will tape a playoff appearance so you guys can see one down there.

fredmullegun
04-15-2010, 11:37 AM
wow ...really. I would buy a murray :laugh:
I will tape a playoff appearance so you guys can see one down there.

OK thanks. I will be busy looking for Wes Welker's knee. 34-27

jtricer1973
04-16-2010, 12:05 AM
I would get an old used Lawnboy 2 stroke or an old Snapper commercial. I picked up an old 1989 Snapper commercial that I love for 125 bucks.

maustm
04-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Get an ariens lm21sw. Nice cut, nice bagging, but I typically discharge. I replaced a toro PP recycler with this, no comparison.