PDA

View Full Version : cleaning valves on a walk behind mower

Larson Lawn Care
04-13-2010, 07:25 PM
I was in the shop today and they told me I need to have the valves cleaned, shop time would be an hour for them to do it. Is this something I can do myself, I've never even heard of doing it. The mower is only a year old. Today it wouldn't start and I would get a backfire. Then eventually it started, I mowed a lawn with it and at the next lawn, backfire, it would turn but when I'd let go of the key, it would backfire. I brought it to the shop for that reason, and what do ya know, it started just fine so they couldn't do anything unless it was not starting there. Any thoughts on either of these issues?

Restrorob
04-13-2010, 08:08 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040 ???

Larson Lawn Care
04-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Oh hey thanks there little buddy.

Larson Lawn Care
04-13-2010, 08:15 PM
I have a 61" ferris walk behind comfort control dd. It is a 2009 model, it has a 25 hp kawasaki engine on it, it has dual hydro. How do i clean the valves?

Restrorob
04-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Who ever you took it to is feeding you a line of BS..... I've NEVER seen a engine need valves cleaned at a year old.

it would turn but when I'd let go of the key, it would backfire.

The above sounds like a intermittent issue with the safety switch system (Interlok System) killing ignition spark in the start position, That's where they need to be looking/checking not the valves.....

Larson Lawn Care
04-13-2010, 08:42 PM
I guess they weren't referring to the problem I brought it there for but they said it was making a ticking noise or something like that.

Restrorob
04-13-2010, 09:00 PM
A ticking noise will be rockers/valves in need of adjustment, Have you got over 300 hrs on it yet ?

Regardless, If it's making noise they should be checked/adjusted;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FH/ALLFHSeriesValveAdjustment.jpg

BTW, You see how nicely this is going with more info !!!

Larson Lawn Care
04-13-2010, 10:20 PM
It's around 200 hrs. What do you mean by the interlok system? For the valves, where can I buy a thickness gauge to adjust them? Do I need to clean anything in/around the valves?

mowerknower
04-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Something does not add up here. 200 hours, 09 model. Should be under warranty unless they really mean it just needs adjusted. I normally don't think its right to take it to one dealer and then take it to another for a second opinion but this just sound a little wierd. There has to be some miscommunication about this or something. I think you need to go back to the dearer and ask them exactly what it needs and why.

topsites
04-14-2010, 01:42 AM
An engine flush ought to take care of it, but I also find this odd unless you've
let your oil go too long between changes... By this I mean you had to have run
it black, at least once.

Restrorob
04-14-2010, 06:32 AM
It's around 200 hrs. What do you mean by the interlok system? Safety switch system, Read my above post again.
For the valves, where can I buy a thickness gauge to adjust them? Any auto parts store.
Do I need to clean anything in/around the valves? NO, Just check clearance and adjust if needed.

You shouldn't need to flush anything either if the oil has been changed as outlined in your owner's manual.

Larson Lawn Care
04-14-2010, 07:55 AM
I keep up on my oil changes... maybe the did say adjust, I had a lot going on while I was there. Anyone know what I can try to stop the backfire?

Restrorob
04-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Anyone know what I can try to stop the backfire?

Yes, Take it back to your dealer and tell them to fix it. Any faulty electrical parts and labor will be covered under warranty, You do not want to fool with it.....

Larson Lawn Care
04-14-2010, 06:34 PM
I replaced the battery and it starts just fine??? Would a bad battery cause a backfire on an electric start?

Restrorob
04-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Anythings possible as far as electrical is concerned, I have never seen a battery cause backfiring. :confused:

betmr
04-14-2010, 08:53 PM
You did not say, is this just out of storage from the winter? Dirty Carburetor, Sticky Float?

Larson Lawn Care
04-14-2010, 10:47 PM
It ran fine for the past two weeks of mowing until recently. But after I put that new battery in, it has been fine. I'm thinking maybe it was a combination of battery and fuel. Would it be okay to put seafoam into the gas tank?

Restrorob
04-15-2010, 06:50 AM
I wouldn't waste money on magic potions.....