PDA

View Full Version : Redmax trimmer not running at full power

Larson Lawn Care
04-13-2010, 08:12 PM
In the past when my trimmer would run slow, I'd pull off the exhaust and clean out the carbon build up behind it and change the spark plug. I cleaned it twice and replaced the spark plug but it is still running slow. When I hold the throttle trigger down and flip the choke up and down, it will run good. Any advice?

GlynnC
04-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Possible air leak--while running, spray carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner around the base of the carb--does this change the rpm of the engine? If it does, then you have an air leak and need to replace gaskets--or maybe just tighten carb mounting screws. If it's not an air leak, and not exhaust port/muffler carbon build up, then it'll probably be dirty carb. Try running Seafoam thru carb and in fuel--do a search on Seafoam--you'll find lots of hints.

Larson Lawn Care
04-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks alot, I'll give it a try.

GlynnC
04-13-2010, 10:46 PM
I should also have ask if it still has the spark arrestor screen in the muffler--is it clean?

Larson Lawn Care
04-14-2010, 07:58 AM
it looks clean

Larson Lawn Care
04-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Sea foam maybe helped a little. I took the airfilter cover off and took a look inside. The plastic thing that turns inside there when choke is adjusted with the hole in it (not sure what it is called) but the hole is still slightly exposed when choke is off. Is it supposed to turn until you can't see the hole anymore or have just a little bit still open?

Larson Lawn Care
04-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Maybe my description was a bit hard to understand. In the carb, you can see the choke open for air I guess, the part is plastic and it turns to when you flip the choke on, and it closes when off, but the hole in the plastic is still exposed? Is that normal?

GlynnC
04-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Okay, I'm confused. Tomorrow, I'll look at a Redmax to see what you are talking about. I think you are talking about the barrel in a rotary carb--but you keep talking about it being the choke--will get back at you tomorrow.

betmr
04-16-2010, 09:30 AM
I am going to suggest you Clean and rebuild the Carburetor. I think the hole you are talking about is the opening in the barrel, and it should be open some at idle, it opens more as you increase the throttle. It does the same thing as a butterfly throttle valve, changes air flow into cylinder.

I think the little reeds in the Carb. are sticking or stiff, and the inside of Carburetor needs cleaning. That's my opinion.

Larson Lawn Care
04-16-2010, 06:59 PM
I just bought a shindaiwa 282, now I have time to fix the redmax and have it for a backup. I was talking about the barrel. I did shoot carb cleaner through there and it seemed to help for a little while, but it is back to running slow.

betmr
04-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I just bought a shindaiwa 282, now I have time to fix the redmax and have it for a backup. I was talking about the barrel. I did shoot carb cleaner through there and it seemed to help for a little while, but it is back to running slow.

Spraying Carburetor/ Choke cleaner in the throat of the carb does nothing to clean the insides of it. That hole goes directly to the combustion chamber. You need to remove the Carb and take it apart to clean the insides and replace the little plastic reeds (it looks like a gasket & has two little flaps that go over holes). It kind of acts like a check valve, fuel flows one way, but not the other.

Anything you spray in the throat, is just burning up in the cylinder. It does not go into the Carburetor.

bob
04-16-2010, 08:35 PM
My Redmax did the same thing.As the previous post said, take the muffler off & clean out the carbon build-up in the exhaust port. Mine ran like new after I did this.

Larson Lawn Care
04-16-2010, 09:47 PM
That was the first thing I did, I learned that a few years back. All of the carbon is cleaned out of the exhaust port, it is still running bad.

Alan0354
04-17-2010, 03:37 AM
Dose of SeaFoam yet?

betmr
04-17-2010, 08:48 AM
You have the answer. I doubt very much, any magic fluid is going to help you. You need a Carburetor kit.

Larson Lawn Care
04-17-2010, 08:57 AM
I tried the sea foam, it seemed to help for a few minutes, but not much.

Larson Lawn Care
04-17-2010, 08:58 AM
I switched from using regular 87 gasoline to 89 last fall. Not sure if that could have anything to do with it.

piediddy
04-17-2010, 09:27 AM
I just bought a shindaiwa 282, now I have time to fix the redmax and have it for a backup. I was talking about the barrel. I did shoot carb cleaner through there and it seemed to help for a little while, but it is back to running slow. Sounds like a carb problem to me. Also i was just wondering why you bought a Shindiawa and didn't stick with Redmax?

Larson Lawn Care
04-18-2010, 09:26 AM
I bought shindaiwa because I would like to try all of the leading brands to see which I like the best... and with my redmax, I have had the low power issue several times within two years. Before it was carbon build up but now I guess something with the carb. I would like to see how the shindaiwa's power holds. When I started, I had echo, then I went to a stihl, then redmax, now shindaiwa. The echo wasn't too bad, but lacked power the way I ran it (with the guard off). The stihl I didn't like the way it ran for some reason, but that was stolen anyways. The redmax I am very much a fan of the power, weight, and the overall job it does, but now the lack of power when I need it most has turned me off a bit.

topsites
04-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Tell me you've at least replaced the air filter and spark plug.

Also I'm guessing in your quest, seeing how Stihl is the only product that got
stolen, maybe that one's the best.

betmr
04-18-2010, 10:56 AM
With all the problems you are having, I'm guessing maybe you are not storing these machines properly, in the winter.

44DCNF
04-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Does it run better with the engine upside down? It sounds like it is either in need of a carb adjustment or a new fuel diaphragm. Take it to your dealer and have them remove the access plug to the carb adjustment screw, if it has one and make an adjustment to richen the mixture.

This is a redmax BCZ2600 handheld blowers carb. This blower ran fine for six months than started acting up as though running lean. My dealer removed the access plug and adjusted the carb, and all is fine now. You can't see it's slot well because of the angle taken but in the hole just above the fuel lines is the adjustment screw. See if your carb has a similar plug....it will appear like a small steel bb plugging the hole. On the trimmer's carb, it may in a different location (if you have it).

If it is not an adjustable carb, it may be that you need a fuel pump diaphragm. They get less flexible with age/use and can't pump fuel as well.

Larson Lawn Care
04-18-2010, 08:08 PM
I've definitely replaced the spark plug and air filter, and I store my equipment in my garage. It does run better upside down.

I wouldn't be able to remove the access plug myself? Where is the fuel pump diaphragm?

betmr
04-18-2010, 10:52 PM
I've definitely replaced the spark plug and air filter, and I store my equipment in my garage. It does run better upside down.

I wouldn't be able to remove the access plug myself? Where is the fuel pump diaphragm?

You store your equipment in the Garage, that is good. But....do you drain the gas and run the engine till it has no more gas in it? Stale gas is the #1 issue when equipment is taken out of storage. Gas left in the Carburetor turns to varnish over time and gums up the ports reeds and everything else in there. Also, we are beginning to see issues with Oxygenated (Ethanol) gasoline, deteriorating gaskets reeds and other rubber and plastic parts, especially when left sitting for long periods.

I am almost sure you need to dismantle, clean, and replace all the parts that come in a Carburetor repair kit. That means spraying Carburetor/Choke cleaner through all the little holes inside the Carb.

In my most honest opinion, that is your problem, and what you need to do to correct it. I've seen and done this hundreds of times.

44DCNF
04-18-2010, 11:10 PM
How old is your machine? I've found my dealer to be good about redmax warranty work.
If you're out of warranty and want to try this yourself you should be able to remove the plug. I am not sure the best way to do it. I took mine in since it was still covered under warranty. I would try working an awl or oring pick around the hole, peeling back the metal that is peened over the plug.

Have you looked to see if your carb has the plugged hole in that area? My trimmers/edger/broom, don't have this same carb and I don't think any of them have the plugged access holes.
The fuel pump diaphragm should be between the carb body and the block that the fuel lines attach to; or between that fuel inlet block and the black block. Pay attention to part and gasket orientation during disassembly. I think you'll be facing a small spring loaded inlet valve-you don't want to bend the tang on it or lose the spring. You may find some dirt or varnish somewhere within the fuel inlet.