PDA

View Full Version : Snapper has lost its snap

rockytopp
04-14-2010, 01:35 AM
I am pulling hair out, I have an older snapper with the little drive wheel with rubber on it and it drives against a larger pulley and when you shift the little drive wheel moves on the larger one like the old sawmill feed system.
Well it goes good in forward but does not back up. Does any one know the secret to adjusting that thing to make it function??:?? :)

topsites
04-14-2010, 02:44 AM
Yeah, only thing I remember about Snappers is you have to take your time and
study the machine because they are very unique in their designs, but in the
end it should make sense.

Restrorob
04-14-2010, 08:03 AM
There's three screws (1/2" wrench) holding the shifter assembly to the side of the frame, The holes in the shifter assembly are elongated.

Loosen the screws and slide the shifter assembly forward or backward until both forward and reverse speeds is achieved.

Make sure the rubber drive disc makes full contact with the aluminum driven disc on each side of the large center hole in the driven disc, If the rubber drive disc rides part way over the center hole while in forward or reverse the rubber drive disc will wear out quickly.

RonAyersMotorsports
04-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Replace Drive disc if needed. And tighten spring on bracket assembly. Tightening the spring is important to prevent slipping.

Restrorob
04-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Here's the spring adjustment Derek is speaking of along with the engine disc adjustment;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Snapper/Snapperdriveadjustments.jpg

laman
04-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Another thing I have learned after running snappers for a long time is the part that rocks up and down for the rubber wheel to make contact with the disc on bottom of motor wears out. It has bushings on each side. I have changed a few of these. The symptoms I have had when they go bad it doesn't pull right slips a lot..

rockytopp
04-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks so much for all the tech. help. I will get on it and report back. Good to see every one is still; in there and kicking.