PDA

View Full Version : Good grass for central Georgia

joshua2415
04-14-2010, 02:40 AM
Around here it seems to be either Centipede or Bermuda. Centiped is ok, but I'm not crazy about the invasiveness of Bermuda. Is there a good alternative that stands up to the summer heat and humidity? I grew up in Wisconsin and the grass was always nice and soft, but here it seems to be coarse and not what you'd want to walk on barefooted. The covenant in my neighborhood calls for Centipede in front, but I want to plant something else in the back. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Falcon50EX
04-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Around here it seems to be either Centipede or Bermuda. Centiped is ok, but I'm not crazy about the invasiveness of Bermuda. Is there a good alternative that stands up to the summer heat and humidity? I grew up in Wisconsin and the grass was always nice and soft, but here it seems to be coarse and not what you'd want to walk on barefooted. The covenant in my neighborhood calls for Centipede in front, but I want to plant something else in the back. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Look at Zoisa I have 20,000sqft and love it in my yard.

Falcon50EX
04-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Not the Shepard

joshua2415
04-15-2010, 11:12 PM
What part of Georgia is that? What's your maintenance plan for that grass? Do you have to give it a lot of TLC? How does it stand up in the sun? My yard is 3 years old and has virtually no shade. Was it sod or seed? Thanks.

Falcon50EX
04-15-2010, 11:27 PM
What part of Georgia is that? What's your maintenance plan for that grass? Do you have to give it a lot of TLC? How does it stand up in the sun? My yard is 3 years old and has virtually no shade. Was it sod or seed? Thanks.

1. Columbus, GA my back yard
2. Pre-M, 25-2-11 with Pre-M, 25-2-11 6%fe, 33-0-17 x 2, I also wash it with a gallon of Dawn 2 or 3 time a summer.
3. I cut it every 5 day or so I almost never bag
4. it was sod my wife and i put it down.
5. it in full sun till around 1600

I am only working on the sod this year I was cutting it at 3.5" now this year about 1.5" or so. My dog has been hell on it but I think i have that under control. She burns it an it does not recover well.

cgaengineer
04-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Zoysia would be a good choice, but bermuda is also a good one...you can put the reins to bermuda to keep it under control. Zoysia is not grass that one wants to walk on barefoot (Unless its cut high) so keep that in mind.

joshua2415
04-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for inputs!! My yard has a mix right now of centipede and bermuda, but I'll be planting more centipede in the front and trying to stop the bermuda. What is a good way to keep bermuda from getting everywhere? I think I have the common stuff that goes along the ground on vines. I also have some weeds due to the fact that my neighborhood used to be a farmers field. I have read that Zoysia is a little sharp on the feet. How hard is it to maintain a fescue lawn in Middle Georgia weather? Some say it needs a lot of watering, especially during the real hot months, but isn't that like everything else around here? Thanks again for all the info.

cgaengineer
04-19-2010, 06:51 AM
If you plant fescue plan on it looking like crap for most of the summer even with weekly watering...my definition of lots of water would be every couple of days.

In the south you can choose between a brown lawn in the summer or a brown lawn in the winter...fescue will be toast by June/July without regular watering and will stay the way until cooler temps in the fall...hell, even bermuda struggles in August around here. Honestly I would stick to warm season grass and overseed in the fall if you want some green...that being said I have heard that over seeding centipede with rye is not the best idea.

You will also continue your battle with bermuda but I think the proper chemical for bermuda control is called fusillade (spelling?). Check to make sure its ok to use on centipede prior to application...centipede can be very temperamental.

As far as weeds, the thicker your lawn the better it will combat weeds. I use very little chemicals and never any Pre-M and my home lawn does pretty well...I can live with a few weeds and accept them.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
04-19-2010, 07:18 AM
According to the label on Fusilade it is not meant for home lawns. I also did not notice centipede on the label as a desirable turf so that tells me not to use fusilade on centipede.

It is also against the law to use a herbicide inconsistent with the labeling.

greendoctor
04-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Correct. Fusilade will wipe out centipede. You want sethoxydim(Poast or Vantage) on centipede grass.

cgaengineer
04-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks for educating me greendoctor.
Posted via Mobile Device

andyslawncare
04-20-2010, 01:49 AM
centipede is the 'poor man's grass' haha. Zoysia and bermuda do well

dave k
04-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Not all Zoysia is hard on bare feet, Meyers is a large blade turf and if cut low isn't half bad, Emerald is a bit stiff, but my grandkids don't mind it.
There are new types of Zoysia such as Zeon and others, just do a search
Good luck