PDA

View Full Version : Winter Kill in St Augustine

ArTurf
04-14-2010, 06:39 AM
Some of my St Aug lawns have spots that have not greened up. Wondering if it is winter kill from the colder than normal winter. I am in south Arkansas. Has anyone seen damage on St Aug or other grasses.

rwsawal04
04-14-2010, 08:00 AM
I got the same problem, I posted a thread with some attachments look at the pictures.

Turf Dawg
04-14-2010, 08:46 AM
I have a few areas that are dead, but most of the areas are where the Brown Patch hit hard in the low temp high moisture fall and winter. If your stolons/runners are still green you should see some improvement in the next couple of weeks.

rwsawal04
04-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Yeah the stolons/runners are still green. I put down disease control and fertilizer really good.

LawnoftheMonth
04-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Same with my lawn, it's not freeze damage, it's just still dormant in a few areas.

JFF
04-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Some of my St Aug lawns have spots that have not greened up. Wondering if it is winter kill from the colder than normal winter. I am in south Arkansas. Has anyone seen damage on St Aug or other grasses.

My mentor lost 60% of his St. Augustine to winter kill this year. He is, as you might imagine, agitated about it. He's in central Arkansas, though. Surprised you are having trouble with it in Southern Arkansas.

Good luck.

ArTurf
04-15-2010, 08:08 AM
It was as cold in south Ark as the middle/upper part of the state this year. In fact many times it was actually colder. I think we had about 10 days straight of sub freezing temps.