PDA

View Full Version : Light green spots

Gabby
04-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Guys I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to start my own tread with pictures. I have lighter green spots throughout my lawn in the shadeier areas as I live in a wooded area. Man is it tough to have a nice lawn when you have shade. Anyway, I think it is creeping fescue. What can be done with this short of tearing up and re-planting my lawn? I have seen that some spot treat the spots with ironite to get it to green up closer to the KBG/Rye. I would imagine this have to be done annually or when ever it starts to lighten up. Is there any other solutions to my problem? Thanks.

RigglePLC
04-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Are there any seed heads? Especially later in the season and in fall? It could be poa annua--one of the most difficult grassy weeds.
I hope not.

Gabby
04-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Are there any seed heads? Especially later in the season and in fall? It could be poa annua--one of the most difficult grassy weeds.
I hope not.

No see heads that I see. I think it is creeping fescue if I had my guess.

Whitey4
04-14-2010, 07:14 PM
It's creeping fescue. Short of digging it up, iron is the only thing that has worked for me, but yes, it requires several apps every year. The fescue simply does better in partial shade, and out-competes the rye or KGB in those areas. That's my 2 cents, anyways.

betmr
04-14-2010, 09:02 PM
As it looks to have just been mowed, I can't tell if it out grows the other grasses. I'm going to venture to guess it might be Yellow Nutsedge. In my opinion, I would find it odd to see Creeping Red Fescue so Yellow as that. And if that area is as shady as you make it sound, Creeping Red Fescue is probably one of your best seeds of choice for that area. Creeping Red Fescue is normally Medium to Dark Green in color.

Whitey4
04-14-2010, 09:49 PM
As it looks to have just been mowed, I can't tell if it out grows the other grasses. I'm going to venture to guess it might be Yellow Nutsedge. In my opinion, I would find it odd to see Creeping Red Fescue so Yellow as that. And if that area is as shady as you make it sound, Creeping Red Fescue is probably one of your best seeds of choice for that area. Creeping Red Fescue is normally Medium to Dark Green in color.

I must respectfully disagree. Pretty early for nutsedge, and I have this on my own shady front lawn. It's a fescue alright.... just not sure which creeping fescue it is. Might not be red. But it's fescue... I'd bet on it.

betmr
04-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Let us see more pictures when it grows in.

betmr
04-14-2010, 10:39 PM
I could well be wrong, but I will still shy away from saying it's fescue. I would like to see pictures of it, after it has grown in some, and possibly a Close up.

Hard to tell, just looking at patches of a different color. Could be the same grass with a soil problem. And it's so patchy, there is like no blending. The edges of the patches are so distinct.

Think Green
04-14-2010, 10:40 PM
I agree that it is some type of fescue coming up, but not high jacking this thread.....It is too early here for nutsedge, but it has already come up in some lawns. Weeds and plants are out of whack and all have came out at the same time this season for us!!! A total nightmare to deal with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whitey4
04-15-2010, 08:13 AM
If it is fescue as I suspect, it will get darker as the growing season progresses. It tends to be a bit lighter colored in the spring, especially after a fert application. It will likely grow a bit faster than any nearby rye or KGB in the spring too.

Gabby
04-15-2010, 09:41 AM
It does out grow the KBG and Rye. I did just fert. a week or so ago with Lesco w/ Dimension for crabgrass. I will get some more pictures when I get a chance before I mow. I will get some close ups too. I am thinking a fescue too. One thing I notice in is that it starts to get like matted down in the fall. Does stay lighter then the rest of the grass all season. Did not notice if it darkens some though. Thanks for all the responses and keep them coming.

RRHAMMONS
04-15-2010, 05:54 PM
I am almost positive that it is poa triv! I had the exact same problem in my lawn last year. It is becoming more predominate here in Ky. I have seen a lot of it this year while fertilizing this year. It will not get darker and most likely start turning brown in next four weeks. Roundup is only solution and be sure to preemerge in fall. Good luck it is extremely hard to control.

Whitey4
04-16-2010, 09:11 AM
I am almost positive that it is poa triv! I had the exact same problem in my lawn last year. It is becoming more predominate here in Ky. I have seen a lot of it this year while fertilizing this year. It will not get darker and most likely start turning brown in next four weeks. Roundup is only solution and be sure to preemerge in fall. Good luck it is extremely hard to control.

Just to relate again, the pics look just like the northern half of my front yard, which has an old dogwood in the center of it. The light spots do not mat or turn brown. If it is matting, might it be bentgrass? An old timer told me that the big retail seed companies for some reason used to add some bentgrass to their KGB seed mix many years ago. Just a thought, but I do have several customers with bentgrass patches. Looks fine in spring, then mats up in summer. It goes quite dormant in the winter, sort of like nimblewil.

RodneyK
04-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Why not round-up and reseed or sod those areas?

Gabby
04-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Here are some more pictures but close up this time. Thanks.

Pistol
04-16-2010, 04:36 PM
I hope ya'll can figure out what this is because i have the same thing in my yard. :confused:

RigglePLC
04-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Coould be annual rye or a cheap rye that the customer seeded last year. Doesn't matter--kill it and reseed with good seed.

Pistol
04-16-2010, 06:03 PM
I reseed with lesco tri-gold

Whitey4
04-16-2010, 08:39 PM

After these pics, I agree, RRHAMMONS got it right. Poa Trivialis. I have some fescue that is light colored, but this sure looks like Poa Triv to me now. Personally, I'd let it go for this season, kill it in late August, dig it out, and reseed.

SeedPro
04-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Sharpen your mower blade for gods sakes. Look at those brown tips!

:laugh:

:waving:

Gabby
04-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Sharpen your mower blade for gods sakes. Look at those brown tips!

:laugh:

:waving:

Yeah yeah I know. Did my fisrt mow of the season with last years blades. Going to service the Scag this weekend. :dancing:

Gabby
04-18-2010, 11:41 AM
So the thought is that this is Poa Trivialis (Roughstalk Bluegrass). So how do I get rid of it without ruining my whole lawn as I have a lot lof this growining in my lawn. I don't like the idea of killing it with round up. Is there anything that is selective to killing this grass only? Also how do I prevent it from coming back if I were to get rid of it?

Whitey4
04-18-2010, 05:49 PM
So the thought is that this is Poa Trivialis (Roughstalk Bluegrass). So how do I get rid of it without ruining my whole lawn as I have a lot lof this growining in my lawn. I don't like the idea of killing it with round up. Is there anything that is selective to killing this grass only? Also how do I prevent it from coming back if I were to get rid of it?

Nope.... no selective herbicide will work on this stuff. Wait until early fall, dig it ALL out, roots and all, add some soil, and reseed it. That is the only option IMO.

Fesues CAN look like this, but aren't as light colored and it doesn't grow in clumps like Poa Triv nor as fast. Poa Triv will grow twice as fast as rye/fescue/KGB will. That is another indication that it is Poa Triv. Be patient.... wait till fall, less weed pressure, dig it all out thoroughly, add soil and reseed.

That is my advice... others may suggest a different approach.