PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me if I'm nuts

freddyc
04-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Customer wants this:

A large hill behind their house has some small overgrowth and what I'd consider weeded area vs real brush. In short, mostly trimmer work in an area that looks like it was possible opened at one time but grew in. Sorry, no pictures. I'd say its a 10-15% slope graded up, away from the back of the house and wraps around like a U shape. I'd say rough estimate is about 30ft deep x about 60-80ft wide total area.

So she wants someone to get in there and clear it out , make it ready for mulch and then install mulch. She will purchase the mulch separately and its just spreading it. She figures about 20 yards of mulch.

She wants to pay $300 for both the clearing and the labor to spread the mulch.

About 10 min ago, I told her to forget it. I figure it works out to about $8-10 to spread each yd of material up that hill at best. She said she had several people ready to do it. I said, go hire them and good luck to you. :confused:

Your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Kiril
04-14-2010, 12:43 PM
I said, go hire them and good luck to you.

IMO, that was the appropriate response .......then hand her a bill for $100 bucks to cover your time to go out there a look at it. :laugh:

93Chevy
04-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Good idea on passing up the job.

First, total mulch will be very very roughly 20 yards at 1800 to 2400 square feet at 3 inches, +/- 3-5 yards.

Even if you could get your mulch at $10/yd, that's over $200 in materials.

Good luck to her, she sounds pretty dang ignorant.

ajslands
04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
10$ a yard! You're crazy! I charge like 75 per yard but w/e good job passing it up, and have fun fixing it next month or in a few months!
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
04-14-2010, 03:51 PM
def. not worth it for $10 a yard. good chocie!!

LouisianaLawnboy
04-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Tell her it's 30.00 to install a yard, but since she has alot you will drop it 25.00.

Let her reaction be your laugh for the day. Crazy customers like that just start to blabber when you give them a cold dose of reality.

After the initial burst, then explain that is just your install price "of course" and that the clearing would be an additional 250.00, and enjoy the blabbering again.

MJS
04-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Double that price and I might take it if we were really really low on work. . .

Some people...whew.

Southern Pride
04-15-2010, 02:54 AM
Some what related, but I have an elderly black woman client. She lives in a huge home, alone. If I call her to say we came by (afternoon) she will call me back around 11pm or after midnight. The other day she called and said she had some boxes in her attic that needed to be taken down that night at half past midnight, and she has a perfectly fit son who is a boxer. She is also one of these who will only call every 3 weeks or so to have the lawn cut. Yes, I charge extra.

Some people are just not worth a damn. Once I get up to about 30 accounts, I'm cutting her loose. Anytime you have someone who wants everything for nothing, just laugh give them a dose of reality in estimate form. Tell them to find some high school kid who needs extra cash, wish them luck and roll out. We all run our business, not charities.

2brothersyardcare
04-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Some what related, but I have an elderly black woman client. She lives in a huge home, alone. If I call her to say we came by (afternoon) she will call me back around 11pm or after midnight. The other day she called and said she had some boxes in her attic that needed to be taken down that night at half past midnight, and she has a perfectly fit son who is a boxer. She is also one of these who will only call every 3 weeks or so to have the lawn cut. Yes, I charge extra.

Some people are just not worth a damn. Once I get up to about 30 accounts, I'm cutting her loose. Anytime you have someone who wants everything for nothing, just laugh give them a dose of reality in estimate form. Tell them to find some high school kid who needs extra cash, wish them luck and roll out. We all run our business, not charities.

i am a highscool kid i got my llc and all and i got one of those always think i have nothing better to do than trim down her beds so im charging her now lets see how that gos over.

mdlwn1
04-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Your nuts for posting this thinking that maybe you were wrong. You must be brand new to this business.

360ci
04-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Nuts indeed. I too would've given her a bill for the quote and walked away.