PDA

View Full Version : Weeds in gravel drive

DanielC
04-14-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm just wondering the best herbicide for mixed weeds in a gravel drive/parking lot.Is it common to reapply every 3 weeks.I have tried Round up,Killsall,2-4d .Hoping this year to cut down spraying a little.thks.I know you guys have alot of wisdom on this topic.

SeedPro
04-14-2010, 05:24 PM
If you cant kill the grass and weeds with that mix and keep them down there's something wrong.

tremor
04-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Daniel,

What kinds of weeds are grieving you?

phasthound
04-14-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm just wondering the best herbicide for mixed weeds in a gravel drive/parking lot.Is it common to reapply every 3 weeks.I have tried Round up,Killsall,2-4d .Hoping this year to cut down spraying a little.thks.I know you guys have alot of wisdom on this topic.

My chore as a child in the '50s was to hand pick weeds in our gravel driveway. It taught me a lot about the importance of a doing a job well so it didn't have to be repeated as often. That's my wisdom for the day. :waving:

Turf Dawg
04-14-2010, 09:56 PM
What you mentioned are contact herbicides, so if it is not green its not going to kill it. You will have to put down a good pre-m barrier to keep the seeds from germinating are you will be spraying every few weeks.

WestGaPineStraw
04-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Think Green
04-14-2010, 10:16 PM
If you cant kill the grass and weeds with that mix and keep them down there's something wrong.

Truthfully, His mixture is selective and non selective chemicals that have no soil residual activity at all. 2-4D by itself isn't soil residual it is contact only. Killzall isn't soil active either---all it is-is roundup!!

Look into Valent's products called broadstar, surestar,

firedude26
04-14-2010, 11:48 PM
use sahara with your round up or killzall , that will do it.

LouisianaLawnboy
04-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Pour gasoline and burn it.

:D:D:D:D

DanielC
04-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Thks guys,good wisdom except maybe the gas.I'll get into the pre-m and try some Sahara.My lots are all next to fields that are nothin but weeds and windy.

poncho62
04-15-2010, 10:05 AM
What about vinegar or bleach?

Young Bros
04-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Thks guys,good wisdom except maybe the gas.I'll get into the pre-m and try some Sahara.My lots are all next to fields that are nothin but weeds and windy.

This year we are trying a round up and barricade pre mixed bottle for our first landscape sprays. Do not use sahara next to grass, it works great but can run into grass with too much rain. You will have a dead spot that hardly anything will grow. We only use sahara on empty lots with no grass near.

Falcon50EX
04-15-2010, 10:09 AM

The above post will do the job but what ever you do follow the label. Sahara is some very good stuff but if it is over applied then it will leach into the surrounding area and will KILL that to. It will take about 3-4 weeks to seem the Sahara work and the hotter it is the better. It should give you a full season of control. Good luck
:usflag:

SeedPro
04-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Truthfully, His mixture is selective and non selective chemicals that have no soil residual activity at all. 2-4D by itself isn't soil residual it is contact only. Killzall isn't soil active either---all it is-is roundup!!

Look into Valent's products called broadstar, surestar,

I have a gravel drive and I would never in a million years think of spraying it with a pre emergent.

I shoot the few grass clumps and such that come up a few times a year, and done deal.

You're never going to create a solid/sound barrier on a gravel/limestone or dirt driveway/lot anyhow. The soil underneath the gravel is as compacted and as hard as my head and not condusive to spreading out and maintaining a barrier.

Just spray the damn things with roundup once in a while and be done with it I say.

EcoGreen Services
04-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Why even use herbicides ?
Ever think of a Land Plane ?
We can't use herbicides here and these work great.
Rips up all the weeds, leaves a nice smooth gravel drive.
http://www.abiattachments.com/_assets/products/tractor/land_plane_390px.jpg

Ric
04-15-2010, 05:19 PM
My chore as a child in the '50s was to hand pick weeds in our gravel driveway. It taught me a lot about the importance of a doing a job well so it didn't have to be repeated as often. That's my wisdom for the day. :waving:

Slow Dog

Soon after you grew up the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock. The Indians taught them about Tobacco as a Repellent pesticide and the Application business was born. No body pulls weeds any more including the Government, they got Agent Orange.

DanielC

May I recommend Roundup Extended control with Imazapic. It might be a little more money but it is a one product idiot proof solution to not spraying driveway weeds as often. It has been my experience that weeds regrow in the same spot. Therefore spot treatment with Roundup Extended control should help solve your problem.

doug1980
04-15-2010, 05:29 PM
I use Ortho Ground Clear on my gravel driveway. It works great and is much cheaper than Roundup. Usually apply it twice a year.

nik
04-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Pramitrol (prometron) will keep things from coming back for a long while. The diuron in Sahara will do the same. There are very few feet of railroad ballast in this country that hasn't been sprayed with diuron. Western Oregon gets 40+ inches of rain in may areas and they usually hit the tracks twice a year.
No matter what you apply of the gravel surface gets gouged or broken up you'll see weeds in those spots. Make sure to give trees a wide berth, a lot of the "sterilants" can do a number on them.

jdmcat
04-15-2010, 08:21 PM
use sahara with your round up or killzall , that will do it.

Great! Except for the fact the the label on Sahara specifically says NOT to use it on driveways.

Think Green
04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Seedpro,
I totally agree with you on the fact of just treating periodically with glyphosate. Adding a preemerge in there on compacted rocks and or chat is pointless but after a while silt will accumulate and create a seed bed. It is touch and go as to what to do! Things sight unseen are speculative to say the least.

Ric,
Thanks for remarking on the roundup extended control. I totally slipped and fell asleep on that one. Sometimes the simple things slip my mind. I was thinking too hard on this subject to be productive.

Nic,
Pramitol, Imazapic, Imazapyr,Tebuthiuron and other types of soil sterilizers are great for those flat areas or in waste lands. I don't even suggest these chemicals as a precaution of someone else's liability. I have seen farmer's just sling this stuff around ditch banks and along fence rows around their farms and watched the leaching process followed by needless killing of good crops and trees.

It seems that all people want the miracle chemical that will eliminate all the work out of the job. In being responsible for one's actions it is unwise to play with some things.
I suggest using the roundup extended control one time, then use it again. Follow the label because it has it limitations on how much per area per year.

JB1
04-15-2010, 10:22 PM
go and get a home made ice cream freezer and make some ice cream and then pour the salt water on the drive, and enjoy the ice cream.

indyturf
04-15-2010, 10:34 PM
go and get a home made ice cream freezer and make some ice cream and then pour the salt water on the drive, and enjoy the ice cream.

mmmmmmmmm best suggestion yet!

jbturf
04-15-2010, 10:50 PM
i use alot of produece for spot like such,works pretty good
pre+post
prodiamine
glyphosate

Young Bros
04-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Pramitrol (prometron) will keep things from coming back for a long while.

If you like to carry flamable liquids on your truck.

:angry:

ErikDj
04-16-2010, 02:53 AM
The land plane sounds like a great solution for driveways and paths. No annual certifications, training requirements, storage issues, special apparel or potential carcinogenic risks. Moreover, there are no timing constraints created by weather conditions either. I like it. A lot like our hybrid and hot water systems. ;-)

EcoGreen Services
04-16-2010, 09:01 AM
The land plane sounds like a great solution for driveways and paths. No annual certifications, training requirements, storage issues, special apparel or potential carcinogenic risks. Moreover, there are no timing constraints created by weather conditions either. I like it. A lot like our hybrid and hot water systems. ;-)

That was my thoughts. We were forced into thinking outside the box when our residential pecticide ban came into effect in April '09.
Not only do they rip out the weeds, they cut down the high spots and fill in the potholes.

The added benefit is you can charge a lot more than using pesticides. You're not only getting rid of the weeds, you're improving their drive. The only problem can be if they don't have enough gravel on their drive and it rains before it gets packed down.

The one we use is actually a 5ft Tufline ATV Land Plane. Worked OK out of the box. Worked terrific after I added a tray for 4 concrete blocks.