PDA

View Full Version : trailer life

grassmasterswilson
04-14-2010, 04:53 PM
I've got a 16 foot dovetail dual axle with the wood plank flooring. It has about 6 or 7 years and probably 75-100k miles. How many years are you guys getting out of this type of trailer? It's starting to show some wear and the planks are starting to look worn. I've heard it is almost cheaper to buy a new trailer than to try to replace the planks. It's kind of a must need piece and want to replace before it crashes.

Richard Martin
04-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Replacing the planks is cheap and easy. I'm 35 miles east of you if you need a hand. Couple/three hundred in lumber. A box of self tapping heavy duty screws. I've done it before.

As long as the trailer isn't bent up or rusted out then there isn't much on them that that can't fixed relatively cheaply. My 16 footer is 7 years old and I'm not even considering it's replacement.

Falcon50EX
04-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Rebuild it
its just takes a little time I am doing a 16' now

pjlandscapes
04-14-2010, 08:10 PM
who told you that replacing the planks would be as mush as replacing the trailer??

CLARK LAWN
04-14-2010, 08:17 PM
mine is 15-20 years old, god only knows how many miles. ive had it for 9 all ive done is tires, brakes and bearings. 400 for tires and 350 for brakes and bearings. now its good for another 10 years. for the planking i coat it with used motor oil every fall before i park it for the winter. so far all the wood is in good shape, guy i got it from did this too.

Bigred350
04-14-2010, 10:34 PM
I have a 35 year old trailer that i pull my skid steer around on every day. I replaced the axles about 8 years ago and put new boards on it whenever they get wore out. Damn good trailer.

MikeKle
04-15-2010, 12:30 AM
If your trailer is roughly 6.5 or 7ft wide and 16ft long, you will need 9 or 10-2x8x16ft treated wood pieces, that is surely not going to be thousands of dollars!! Around here those boards are around $15. each, that is only $150. max!!! but lumber prices vary depending on your location, but it still should be roughly in the same ballpark. so boards and a gallon of rustoleum brush on paint, and your trailer will look like brand new again! juts take a wire brush to any heavy rust areas before painting though. it may take a little time and elbow grease, but it will be worth the thousands of dollars you are saving. If you take good care of an open trailer, painting, keeping rust at bay, replacing rotted wood, etc, you can make any trailer last a lifetime! Its really not that hard to do. just preventive mainten.