PDA

View Full Version : Question for the landscapers

worx
04-14-2010, 07:04 PM
I want to pose a question to the landscapers and designers on here who do not design and install landscape lighting.

What would make it easiest for you to take a proactive approach to offering your clients a lighting option when presenting them with their landscape proposal? I ask this because I want to make it as seamless and as painless as possible for the landscapers I work with.

Thanks,

Dreams To Designs
04-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Steve, I do design and manage lighting installations, so I hope my comments are not in error.

If a design is presented to a client, often, along with the plan, plant list and construction notes, a 3D image is created, whether by hand, a graphics program or a photo realistic image like Pro Landscape. In Pro Landscape and I'm sure most computer generated images, a lighting image is easy to create, and most who create by hand, can copy and shade to represent lighting ideas. The only thing better than an image, would be a demo. But, a demo is either on the existing landscape your hopefully removing, or on the freshly installed landscape that definitely will need to "grow in".

You can create the image with a set number of fixtures for a starting point, or custom design each proposal. Added right behind the 3D image of the front door, or curb appeal image, is the same image in a night scene, with landscape lighting.

Kirk

White Gardens
04-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Same here.

I don't offer lighting and installation, but I have a client who is requesting lighting on a project I am designing.

My design program allows me to put in lighting and it automatically darkens the photo and shows where the light would cast on the landscape.

If it's too complicated then I'm thinking about hiring an electrician to come in and install the lighting, but the low-voltage systems are pretty easy to deal with from what I can tell and I could probably tackle it with enough research.

worx
04-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Let me re-phrase the question. Do you offer a lighting "option" with each landscape install or do you wait for the customer to ask you? Do you raise the subject of lighting during the design phase to discover whether it is something they may consider? I realize lighting may not be an option for every landscape, but for those that are receiving the "above average" package.(water features, retaining wall, pavers, plants, pergola, etc.) These are the customers that would be glad you mentioned lighting early on in the project.

Dreams To Designs
04-22-2010, 06:02 PM
I suggest lighting for any landscape installation. I suggest that the client would be able to offer the new landscape at night when they are typically at home. So many folks are busy everyday, including the weekends. They should be able to enjoy their new landscape project when they are typically going to see or enjoy it.

Kirk

Stevegotcrabgrass
04-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Every design I do get's a lighting option. Some of the customers don't realize the expense of quality lighting, and they decline and buy solar or cheap LV and do it themselves. Sometimes it looks okay, sometimes it doesnt

andyslawncare
04-29-2010, 05:09 AM
In Georgia it is a requirement to have an electrician install a covered outlet outside and actually plug in the system. You can suggest for the client to plug it in to avoid potential complications and legal struggle.

I don't understand why you are asking landscapers who don't offer the service for advice....

I have experience installing and designing outdoor lighting.

Let me know if you have any questions about installing them.

Caterkillar
05-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Same here.

I don't offer lighting and installation, but I have a client who is requesting lighting on a project I am designing.

My design program allows me to put in lighting and it automatically darkens the photo and shows where the light would cast on the landscape.

If it's too complicated then I'm thinking about hiring an electrician to come in and install the lighting, but the low-voltage systems are pretty easy to deal with from what I can tell and I could probably tackle it with enough research.

You can do the low voltage lighting yourself. Get in touch with a Vista rep or just read over there installation booklet. It will tell you exactly how to do it. And once you install it, if your voltage is correct on each light you are good to go.

Caterkillar
05-07-2010, 11:48 PM
I suggest lighting for any landscape installation. I suggest that the client would be able to offer the new landscape at night when they are typically at home. So many folks are busy everyday, including the weekends. They should be able to enjoy their new landscape project when they are typically going to see or enjoy it.

Kirk

Or if you are really ambitious, offer to do a lighting demo with a "lighting kit" you can borrow from your local dealer and show the client exactly what you are trying to sell them.