PDA

View Full Version : How many of you Lawn guys do Tree care as well?

SeedPro
04-14-2010, 08:28 PM
I was out all day spraying trees and shrubs and have a few more days of it to go for my early spring foliar treatment. I also have a nice 1000 dollar injection to do with Maugets that I do each year.

Kindof a nice break from doing round 1.

Maple Wood
04-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Seed Pro, I am looking at getting into tree spraying.
Got any equipment tips for me. For my lawn applications I use a Z spray with an enclosed trailer 300 gallon nurse tank. I did not want to spend another fortune setting this up and have never sprayed trees.
I am not sure on demand but have had several people ask me about doing it. We have a lot of bag worms and web worms that get peoples attention, also some people with a few fruit trees that need spraying.

I learn best on the fly.

grassman177
04-22-2010, 07:21 PM
we do, but whatch out i might charge them for something i dont do according to seedpro!!! i do two apps per year for insect and disease. so far i have got hte timing down to an art so i dont have to do more(save pine trees for tip blight i have to go out earlier). you saw our rig maple, what about something like that for a tractor?? works great. b4 that we had a small 25 gal tank with on demand pump and shrub gun we mounted to a mower . worked great and was easy to get anywhere you wanted. when we started into trees it was limited to about 20ft though but worked well for that and under. just a thought with minimal investment

SeedPro
04-22-2010, 07:38 PM
I heard that you just spray water, GM! lol

Kidding.

Before I got my GNC Split Tank 300 gallon deal that can get about 40 feet up with good output I actually did some fruit trees and foundation stuff with the Z spray. Of course you have to totally flush and neutralize your system before doing it but the portability of the unit was cool. I used a small tree gun that I got at gemplers with a 2 foot wand and adjustable nozzle.

It took a while to spray but it can be done on small stuff, and I used a 25 gallon fimco deal with the same gun sometimes.....

I have the sprayer in the truck now dedicated to H20 for the Z and tree care.

Before I got the Z, and while I was cutting lawns in the early days, I had a 25 gallon fimco on the back of my JD 757, and a lesco 12 volt spreader custom mounted to the front for lawn care and I switched out spray tanks for tree care.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e244/Killswitch007/Mower012-1.jpg

I have that 12 volt spreader for sale and a couple of the 25 gallon fimcos with guns if anyones in Michigan and is interested.

phasthound
04-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Up until the last 4 years all I did was tree care for about 30 years.
Much more interesting and complicated than lawn care. With trees, you're dealing with a much wider variety of plant species, insect and disease problems than with turf. You have to know a lot more about what you're doing.

The worst that can happen to a lawn is that you have to reseed it. You can't replace trees & woody ornamentals so easily and cheaply. I do not understand why the public has such high expectations for their lawns as opposed to their trees. By the time someone calls with a tree problem, it is usually too late. But they would much rather pay for a continuous lawn care program than a preventative tree care program.

Young Bros
04-22-2010, 09:00 PM
We have just been fertilizing trees and shrubs. They are hard to diognose. Have been thinking of getting a trunk injection unit.

grassman177
04-23-2010, 12:24 AM
basically what you have there seedpro. we sold it along with all of our jrco spreaders and mounts to a guy from here in OK i think. it served me well for years, but started to get more demand(of course the two largest jobs for the purchase of our tractor unit we lost) and starting this year really trying to promote it much more. i am also a cert arborist and love the trees, but specialized in turf.

SeedPro
04-23-2010, 07:01 AM
basically what you have there seedpro. we sold it along with all of our jrco spreaders and mounts to a guy from here in OK i think. it served me well for years, but started to get more demand(of course the two largest jobs for the purchase of our tractor unit we lost) and starting this year really trying to promote it much more. i am also a cert arborist and love the trees, but specialized in turf.

I fabricated the qick change mounts and engineered it myself. Billet Aluminum too. I was lucky that I had the weight bars on the front of the JD that made it easier. They are there to offset the bagger unit.

I traded that mower in as part of my truck purchase at my Dodge dealer. lol

grassman177
04-23-2010, 07:40 AM
cool, it worked pretty well though didnt it. it is what i used for years and really liked it and the portability of it, that is why we ended up with a pto driven tractor mounted unit. still very portable, but alsohas a 150ft hose for where you cant get it into. plus, it is capable of more pressure and has a gun that will reach quite far for real tree spraying which i did not do b4, but can now offer as i can get more than 20ft up! it is a 100 gal tank too which is better of course so i dont have to fill near as often.