PDA

View Full Version : Centipede care/replant question

Mr BC
04-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Okay so here's an issue I'd like advice on,

I have a centipede lawn in Eastern NC. I built a shed and ran power to itlast summer. When I did, I cut out sod pieces to save and replant before I dug my trench. Its all done, the sod is replanted and the grass is, for the most part, growing just fine. My issue is that: 1. the way some of the soil got turned during fill-in and replant brought some rocky soil up to ground level which I remember was further down in the ground originally. 2. the trench got filled in such that I have some dips where the fill settled and the sod sunk a bit, but also I have some areas where I wound up with a small mound. Since the mounds get virtually scalped, the grass isn't doing so hot, where the rocky soil is at ground level the grass is also not doing so hot.

I'm thinking that I might just till up the trench line and get the soil better leveled out (my yard is pretty flat anyhow) and mix in some potting soil, or in some way bolster the nutrient content (maybe with just some fertilizer?) for a quality topsoil and either put out a little bit of seed, or let the centipede creep its way back along the trench. Does this sound like a decent plan?

I appreciate your thoughts and advice, thanks.

BC

ICT Bill
04-14-2010, 09:16 PM
forget potting soil, find some good to great compost and cover your areas at 1/4 inch, that will be roughly 1 to 1.5 yards per 1000

I do not know where you live but almost all counties are composting leaves and such and you can get it cheap sometimes free

your yard and turf will love you for it