PDA

View Full Version : Stupid lawn applicators

RABBITMAN11
04-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Driving to my next stop, I saw two guys spraying a condo complex! One guy was on the mower pulling the tow behind sprayer, and the other guy walking and using the the hose sprayer connected to it. Both guys in cut off sleeve shirts, shorts and tennis shoes. I had to to stop just to watch and take pics. I couldn't even beleive my eyes!

GravelyGuy
04-14-2010, 10:43 PM
I had to do something while I'm waiting on LT Rich to finish my Z.

Greenery
04-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Let's see the pics.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Yep lets see those jpegs.

Think Green
04-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Could you smell what they were applying? Could have been liquid fert.

corbster
04-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Driving to my next stop, I saw two guys spraying a condo complex! One guy was on the mower pulling the tow behind sprayer, and the other guy walking and using the the hose sprayer connected to it. Both guys in cut off sleeve shirts, shorts and tennis shoes. I had to to stop just to watch and take pics. I couldn't even beleive my eyes!

Probably spraying water .... was it TGCL ....:laugh:

GravelyGuy
04-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Could you smell what they were applying? Could have been liquid fert.

You can't apply liquid fert without a license here. Shorts may be an option.

a plus bob
04-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Probably spraying water .... was it TGCL ....:laugh:

You learn quick :laugh: Did you get my PM about fert dealers ?

corbster
04-15-2010, 10:00 PM
You learn quick :laugh: Did you get my PM about fert dealers ?

Yes I did ...Thanks Bob. ...I didn't reply to your PM, sorry!!

Think Green
04-15-2010, 11:08 PM
You can't apply liquid fert without a license here. Shorts may be an option.

LOL!!
Urea, sulfur, and iron burns my hands in granular form rather than liquid.
I have seen many things similar to yours. I have seen tree companies spraying straight upward into the canopy with no PPE at all. T-shirt, pants,boots.....no face shield or anything. When these people grow an extra testicle, or go bald suddenly, they will learn to use precaution.
As I have stated in another thread, each state has its own laws on everything.
OSHA and NIOSH are nothing to play with in some states either..........LOL!
I suppose the condo association wasn't too concerned with the safety of the workers any more than they are themselves.

doug1980
04-16-2010, 12:29 AM
PPE was a very big deal when we applied any chemical on Base. The Department of Defense and the Air Force didn't play around with that. We even had to get yearly blood tests.

Think Green
04-16-2010, 07:51 AM
The U.S. Government and its Military have always purchased materials that aren't used by the general public and most commercial applicator's. This goes way back to the other thread of 2-4DT and other used in Vietnam...........troop exposure is a big hidden problem for those that served our country during that era. My father is one of them that wasn't given any PPE for exposure to the chemicals of Agent Orange and Napalm.

grassman177
04-16-2010, 08:22 AM
i make note and call the ag inspector so he can co9ntact them. i figure at least they will become more aware of safety even though the supposedly have their license.

txgrassguy
04-17-2010, 09:52 AM
People like that tend to paint our whole organization in a bad light.
Here in C. Texas I wear shorts all of the time but when spraying I'll don a tyvex coverall.
The only problem I have ever had was about seven years ago - installing an irrigation system at an office complex and a pest guy comes along and spray Battle insecticide - While me and three guys were working - literally right by us.
I lost it, I mean I totally lost it and bad. Here is an allegedly licensed applicator spraying a state restricted insecticide with known extremely toxic side effects with-in inches of where we were working.
When I approached the guy he acted like it was no big deal. So I ripped the mirror off of his truck while trying to yank open the drivers' door to beat the snot out of him. He panicked and called the cops. By the time they got there I had already informed the State which choose not to investigate. Said they had a personnel shortage and me and my guys should just take long showers and change our clothes. They hung up when I asked if we should shower together.
When I explained to the cop what had happened, showed him the label and what this idiot had exposed me and my crew too the only thing the cop did was to caution me about overtly threatening the applicator.
I got one bill in the mail about the damaged mirror and wrote to the pest company what had happened. Received a apologetic letter in return, didn't ask for money and I haven't seen that applicator since. Don't know if he got fired or not but I was looking for him for several weeks following the incident but never found him.

Heidi J.
04-17-2010, 10:06 AM
People like that tend to paint our whole organization in a bad light.
Here in C. Texas I wear shorts all of the time but when spraying I'll don a tyvex coverall.
The only problem I have ever had was about seven years ago - installing an irrigation system at an office complex and a pest guy comes along and spray Battle insecticide - While me and three guys were working - literally right by us.
I lost it, I mean I totally lost it and bad. Here is an allegedly licensed applicator spraying a state restricted insecticide with known extremely toxic side effects with-in inches of where we were working.
When I approached the guy he acted like it was no big deal. So I ripped the mirror off of his truck while trying to yank open the drivers' door to beat the snot out of him. He panicked and called the cops. By the time they got there I had already informed the State which choose not to investigate. Said they had a personnel shortage and me and my guys should just take long showers and change our clothes. They hung up when I asked if we should shower together.
When I explained to the cop what had happened, showed him the label and what this idiot had exposed me and my crew too the only thing the cop did was to caution me about overtly threatening the applicator.
I got one bill in the mail about the damaged mirror and wrote to the pest company what had happened. Received a apologetic letter in return, didn't ask for money and I haven't seen that applicator since. Don't know if he got fired or not but I was looking for him for several weeks following the incident but never found him.

:laugh:Sounds like he's lucky you didn't find him.:laugh:

mdlwn1
04-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Way to handle it like a teenager! Soo lets recap.....you freaked out because you were concerned that you were going to roll around in it, then proceed to lick your hands clean resulting in imminent harm. Then you damaged a vehicle..and threatned harm to a person. YOU should have been arrested, fined and possibly sued. You respond to this thread stating your tempertantrum, oblivious as to how immature you are. By your own account, you really sound like that azzhole type of guy that few people get along with. A mature person would have asked the applicator to not spray the immediate area or at least wait until they were done. Even if he was spraying around a corner and possibly didnt see you....a mature person would understand and deal with it. Finally, you call the governing body and ask them to respond to your BS (after you attacked the guy) and expect them to drop everything and investigate some judgement call (these things happen every day) in which you were clearly not in control of yourself. There is a risk you take getting out of bed in the morning..realize you are not special nor better than anyone else and when dealing with difficult situations, it's not whether you are wrong or right, it;s how you handle it.

txgrassguy
04-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Well, first of all I KNOW I'm more special than you.

And I'm not going to justify my actions to a guy that has a wife that spits.

So how's that for immature?

mdlwn1
04-19-2010, 04:55 PM
I had no doubt you would out do yourself.....

OrganicsMaine
04-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Nothing better than a guy from NY arguing with a guy from Tx:hammerhead:

txgrassguy
04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Thank you.

phasthound
04-19-2010, 08:36 PM
LOL!!
I have seen many things similar to yours. I have seen tree companies spraying straight upward into the canopy with no PPE at all. T-shirt, pants,boots.....no face shield or anything. When these people grow an extra testicle, or go bald suddenly, they will learn to use precaution.

I did that for years from the late '70s through the '80s. I didn't grow another ball, but.....................

turfcobob
04-20-2010, 12:20 PM

I went into Lincoln today and on one of the major thru streets was a pickup creeping along next to the median with flashers and an arrow sign going. Had to slow down so we could all merge right. Guess what, it was a city truck and the driver was spraying the median while driving the pickup. Lots of precision there.

Even better one in Tucson, AZ last month. One guy was driving a pickup, pulling a trailer with a spray tank and engine powered pump on it around the jogging path in a park. Another guy was walking beside the truck spraying weeds. Burning gas in a half ton truck and the pump engine and two guys. Now that is really precise and cost effective.

americanlawn
04-20-2010, 07:57 PM
turfobob -- Every year I see a guys (state workers) driving John Deere Gators along interstate 80 spraying weeds in the cracks of the shoulders. No gloves. Short sleeved shirt. Leather work boots. Wearing shorts. No skin off my back, and I doubt they're getting any spray on themselves. My gripe is it's the same state government that fines professionals if they're "missing a glove". :laugh:

cgaengineer
06-22-2010, 07:20 PM
turfobob -- Every year I see a guys (state workers) driving John Deere Gators along interstate 80 spraying weeds in the cracks of the shoulders. No gloves. Short sleeved shirt. Leather work boots. Wearing shorts. No skin off my back, and I doubt they're getting any spray on themselves. My gripe is it's the same state government that fines professionals if they're "missing a glove". :laugh:

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

When its 105 degrees outside, whats more dangerous to your health? A herbicide that dogs can eat without any reactions or having a heat stroke because you are wearing a plastic suit? I am pretty sure the car exhaust you breath on the way to the site you are spraying is far more dangerous to your health or that big fat sausage egg and cheese biscuit you eat the in the morning before you start your day.

Give it up, who cares if they wear PPE devices...I could care less, their choice. I never see the people that complain about another applicator spraying without PPE complaining that they saw a person smoking or not wearing a seat belt that day...

RigglePLC
06-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Did you see that Roundup "pull and Spray" tv commercial. Guy has leather shoes (no boots), no gloves and no eye protection. All are required for any spraying by commercial applicators in Mich.

americanlawn
06-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I hear ya buddy. I know two Viet Nam combat Veterans who are nolonger with us. Both died of cancer (most likely from repeated Agent Orange exposure) Shivers, night sweats, loss of weight, etc before they passed. GOV never did much about it either cuz nothing was ever "proven".

When I started with ChemLawn in Dallas in the late 70's, we were using up what we had on the shelves of 2,4,5-T, cuz it was phased out in 1979. The LD50 was extremely low - mainly due to the high amount of dioxin (very bad for mammals).

NOTE: 2,4,5-T was sprayed at a very heavy rate in Viet Nam, so it would cause the trees to lose their leaves (often times killing the trees). The rate used in lawn care for weed control was much much less.

The U.S. Government and its Military have always purchased materials that aren't used by the general public and most commercial applicator's. This goes way back to the other thread of 2-4DT and other used in Vietnam...........troop exposure is a big hidden problem for those that served our country during that era. My father is one of them that wasn't given any PPE for exposure to the chemicals of Agent Orange and Napalm.